Would Dysport Have Any Adverse Effect on Pregnancy?

What if a patient gets pregnant while Dysport is still in her system? Do patients need to be on contraceptives for any period of time after getting a Dysport injection?

Dysport

+1

Although no adverse effects on the fetus or baby have been reported, neither Dysport nor Botox is recommended while pregnant or while breastfeeding. 

Dysport and Pregnancy

+1

Neither Dysport nor Botox is recommended during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Many women have gotten pregnant subsequent to a treatment, and no report adverse effects on the fetus or baby have been reported. However, since there are no published studies testing Botulinum Toxin A on pregnant nor breast feeding women, we do not have a complete understanding of the effects on the fetus or on the baby is unknown. It is not worth the risk.  

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Avoid Botulinum Toxin A During Pregnancy

+1

Neither Dysport nor Botox is recommended during pregnancy or while breastfeeding.  Toughing it out for a few months is best in order to provide the safest environment for baby.

Melanie D. Palm, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

No Dysport while pregnant

+1

It is not recommended that Dysport be used in woment who are pregnant or breastfeeding. I would not inject Botox, Dysport, or any filler until after a women has finished breastfeeding.

Dysport not recommended during pregnancy

+1

I would not recommend any Dysport and/or Botox during pregnancy. There have been many women who have gotten pregnant after their injections and have had no complications but why take any chances.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Dysport and pregnancy

+1

It is not recommended to inject Botox, or Dysport while you are pregnant.

If you get pregnant after the Dysport was injected there is no evidence it can cause any problem.

Dysport is great but not recommended during pregnancy

+1

Ingrid,

As a rule, it is not recommended that clients knowingly recieve Dysport or Botox during pregnancy. There have been situations where a patient finds out that they are pregnant after the fact and have not experienced any adverse effects. However since there are no published studies regarding the safety of the fetus, it is best not to take the chance. Regarding contraceptives after treatment, that is a personal choice. Safety is what matters so if you are trying to get pregnant we just ask that you wait and have the injections at a later time.

Michael L. Workman, MD

Dysport and pregnancy

+1

I would not do Dysport or Botox if you were pregnant. If you are trying to get pregnant you may want to avoid these neuromodulators. If you get pregnant you will probably be fine. Many women have gotten pregnant after injections and have been fine. But why take any chances, if you are trying to get pregnant. After an injection Dysport stays locally where placed and does not go through the body. It should be out of your system in 3-6 months.

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

I would not advise these injections during pregnancy

+1

I am unaware of any reports one way or another but the safe approach is ALWAYS the best. Consequently, I cannot advise this treatment while pregnant. In terms of contraception, the best choice would be to talk to your OB-Gyn but I suspect that if you were planning to get pregnant the advice would be the same

That being stated I do not typically advise my patients to use contraceptives after the injections nor have I seen any literature or heard any reports that doing so would be the standard of care

Hope that helps.

J. Timothy Heffernan, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon