Can Dysport Be Used After a Botox Treatment?

I have received a Botox treatment in September and now want to try the Dysport. Is it safe or do I need to wait longer to get the Dysport treatment?

Dysport after Botox

+2

Though not the same, Botox and Dysport are very similar and both very safe when injected correctly.   If the results from Botox have worn off and you are ready for another treatment, there's no problem doing Dysport. (For most patients 3-4 months)  If it's a different area entirely you are considering, you can do that at any time and don't have to wait.  Good luck!

If Botox has worn off then it is fine to try Dysport even if it has only been 2 months

+2

Sometimes, Botox lasts only a couple of months but usually most patients get 3-4 months out of it.  If it is wearing off then it is ok to switch to Dysport.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Dysport after Previous Botox Use

+1
It is perfectly safe to use Dysport if a former Botox user after the effects have worn off. ysport, Xeomin and Botox are all preparations of botulinum toxin A derived protein that works at the nerve-muscle interface to relax targeted muscles. Each preparation is slightly different, for example the protein size differs. Dysport and Xeomin have been around in Europe for a long time and more recently introduced in the USA. Note the dosage is not the same between the drugs though each works well in my experience.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Using Dysport after Botox

+1

Dysport and Botox are very similar botulinum toxins and they can be used interchangeably without any problems. They both typically last about 4 months, although with repeated treatments, they do tend to last longer. Dysport tends to start working a few days faster than Botox.  Both are incredibly safe (when injected by highly trained physicians such as dermatologists) and well tested over many years. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Dysport

+1

It is fine to use Dysport after having Botox done.  I would however, wait until you have muscle movement return, typically in 3-4 months. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Use Botox and Dysport and then compare the results for yourself.

+1

For my patients in New Jersey, I recommend that my patients try both Botox and Dysport.  They can then decide for themselves which they like better.  Some will chose the one that lasts longer.  Others will chose the one with the quicker onset.  Finally, some will pick the one that "feels" better to them.  If they are both similar for some patients, they will pick the one with the best rebate/price at the time.

Dr. Parham Ganchi - NJ Plastic Surgeon

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Dysport after Botox?

+1

While it's certainly safe to have Dysport injections after Botox, the one caution we would have is that we normally advise our patients to wait approximately 3-4 months between treatments. 

Although negative reactions to Botox are rare, we have seen in our practice (and this is supported by research) that when it occurs, a resistance to Botox (Dysport) can often present when the patient is using Botox more often than recommended.  This would be the only caution we have for your situation.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Dysport and BOTOX can be used interchangeably

+1

Dysport and BOTOX are similar substances. They may be used interchangeably. There is no point injecting either of these until there is sufficient muscle movement, usually at least 3 to 4 months.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

OK to use Dysport after Botox and vice versa

+1

This is certainly fine. In fact, many of my patients have done just that. I have been using Botox for over 15 years and now am doing Dysport as well. We have had no problems with either one. As you may know, they are both derived from the Botox A subtype and the studies that have been performed show that the efficacy and safety are both very similar. Beware of any significant claims about increased longevity with Dysport just yet. I think the medical community really needs to being using this for a while longer before we can get a fair comparisons between the two.

Good Luck!

Robert F. Gray, MD, FACS

Robert F. Gray, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport may be used after Botox

+1

Chemically and clincically, these two items are very similar. As long as you have given the Botox enough time to show its clinical effect, which you have, you can now add the Dysport.  This is not too soon to add more Botox either, should it be needed.

Ronald Shelton, MD