Do I Really Need Double Dysport to Get Same Effect of Botox?

I was told that I need double 50 units of Dysport to get the same effect of 25 units of Botox. Is this true or is the place I called trying to get me pay more since Dysport is 3.99 a unit and Botox is 9.50 a unit?

2x Dysport = ??

+2

Though there is no exact conversion for Botox to Dysport units, it is generally accepted that patients will need 2.5-3 units of Dysport per 1 unit of Botox....so what they are telling you is not unusual or an attempt to charge you too much....in fact they may be under-estimating how much they need.

Web reference: http://www.marinaplasticsurgery.com

Double Dysport Dose to Equal Botox?

+1

All of the injectable companies tell you that the dosages are not equivalent.  The FDA has approved treatment of the area between the eyes with Dysport with a common dose of 50 units.  The same area has been approved for a common dose or 20 units of Botox.  Different injectors will dilute and inject differently.  The most important thing is not the price.  Please see an experienced and well trained injector.

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/face-and-skin/injectables

Dysport to Botox equivalency

+1

There is not exact equivalency between a botox unit and a dyport unit. However, the general experience is that you will need 2.5 - 3 units of dyport for 1 unit of botox. For that reason, there is no significant cost savings for the patient to have dysport.

Dysport vs Botox units

+1

The FDA approval for Dysport was based on 50 units for the glabella, an area which typically requires 20 units of Botox. However, with experience using the product, many of us have noticed that the conversion is roughly 3:1, that is 60 units of Dysport has a similar effect to 20 units of Botox. The effects of the two products are slightly different so it's not a precise equation but rather just a rule of thumb. An experienced injector who is familiar with the anatomy of the facial muscles should be able to treat you nicely with either. 

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Web reference: http://www.mehtaplasticsurgery.com/botox-dysport/

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport vs Botox

+1

Dysport comes in 300 unit vials and in terms of conversion it is about 1 unit of Botox to 2 .5-3 of Dysport.  It really shouldn't mean anything to you other than it should cost about the same for the two products.

+1

You may need double the units of Dysport to get the same effects as Botox, but don't think of it that way.  Dysport comes in a 300 unit vial and Botox in a 100 unit vial.  Think of them as different entities altogether and don't compare units.  For example, you'd never say do I need twice as much Amoxicillin as Zithromax?  The point is to get the optimum effect from Dysport or Botox, and only a physician experienced with both can do that for you. 

Ramtin Kassir, MD

Dysport Relation To Botox

+1

Unfortunately there is no direct conversion between Botox and Dysport dosing. The recommended starting dose of Botox is 20 units in the glabella and Dysport is 50 units in the glabella.

Web reference: http://innovationsfps.com

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dosing of Dysport

+1

Because the dosing of Dysport and Botox are very unique to each drug it is hard to really compare one to the other.  Dysport and Botox have different "characteristic" and should be injected by qualified, knowledgeable physicians who have experience using both these drugs.

Good Luck

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport vs. Botox

+1

Dysport comes in units but the calculation is different than Botox when injecting it. So, yes you will need more units of Dysport in a area than  Botox. It's usually 2 to 3 units of Dysport per 1 unit of Botox.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com

Dysport units "sort of" double Botox units.

+1

Dysport is a cousin of Botox and the units are counted differently, but similar effects are achieved. Someone who doesn't get long lasting effects from Botox after a while may do better with Dysport, but that isn't true for everyone. The different type of unit counting is confusing, since everyone is more used to thinking about Botox, but both products work well and come out to basically similar costs.