Do I Really Need Double Dysport to Get Same Effect of Botox?

I was told that I need double 50 units of Dysport to get the same effect of 25 units of Botox. Is this true or is the place I called trying to get me pay more since Dysport is 3.99 a unit and Botox is 9.50 a unit?

2x Dysport = ??

Though there is no exact conversion for Botox to Dysport units, it is generally accepted that patients will need 2.5-3 units of Dysport per 1 unit of what they are telling you is not unusual or an attempt to charge you too fact they may be under-estimating how much they need.

Dysport vs Botox dosing

The common conversions used by physicians between Dysport and Botox is 2.5 units of Dysport for every Botox unit, or 3 units of Dysport for every one unit of Botox.

another way to say this is that ~50 units of Dysport is needed to treat the frown lines  to get a similar effect as 20 units of Botox. 

Based on this, I would say they may even be under treating you.

Amount of Dysport vs Botox

Dysport comes in 300 unit vials and Botox comes in 100 unit vials. The conversion of the units is what may make it seem like you need more Dysport, but it should not really make a big difference in pricing. An experienced injector will know exactly how much Dyport/Botox to use in each area so that you do not have to worry about the conversion of units between the 2 products.

Double Dysport Dose to Equal Botox?

All of the injectable companies tell you that the dosages are not equivalent.  The FDA has approved treatment of the area between the eyes with Dysport with a common dose of 50 units.  The same area has been approved for a common dose or 20 units of Botox.  Different injectors will dilute and inject differently.  The most important thing is not the price.  Please see an experienced and well trained injector.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Dysport to Botox equivalency

There is not exact equivalency between a botox unit and a dyport unit. However, the general experience is that you will need 2.5 - 3 units of dyport for 1 unit of botox. For that reason, there is no significant cost savings for the patient to have dysport.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Dysport vs Botox units

The FDA approval for Dysport was based on 50 units for the glabella, an area which typically requires 20 units of Botox. However, with experience using the product, many of us have noticed that the conversion is roughly 3:1, that is 60 units of Dysport has a similar effect to 20 units of Botox. The effects of the two products are slightly different so it's not a precise equation but rather just a rule of thumb. An experienced injector who is familiar with the anatomy of the facial muscles should be able to treat you nicely with either. 

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport vs Botox

Dysport comes in 300 unit vials and in terms of conversion it is about 1 unit of Botox to 2 .5-3 of Dysport.  It really shouldn't mean anything to you other than it should cost about the same for the two products.

You may need double the units of Dysport to get the same effects as Botox, but don't think of it that way.  Dysport comes in a 300 unit vial and Botox in a 100 unit vial.  Think of them as different entities altogether and don't compare units.  For example, you'd never say do I need twice as much Amoxicillin as Zithromax?  The point is to get the optimum effect from Dysport or Botox, and only a physician experienced with both can do that for you. 

Ramtin Kassir, MD

Ramtin Kassir, MD
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport Relation To Botox

Unfortunately there is no direct conversion between Botox and Dysport dosing. The recommended starting dose of Botox is 20 units in the glabella and Dysport is 50 units in the glabella.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dosing of Dysport

Because the dosing of Dysport and Botox are very unique to each drug it is hard to really compare one to the other.  Dysport and Botox have different "characteristic" and should be injected by qualified, knowledgeable physicians who have experience using both these drugs.

Good Luck

Carlos Wolf, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon