What Is the Least Invasive Way to Remove the Neck Wattle? (Photo)

all i want is rid of my hereditary wattle could a direct neck lift be a option i am a 60 year old woman i want the least invasive procedure there is.

Neck lift options

First of thanks for including the photos - it really helps!

Although you would get the best results with a full face/neck lift, you can get a decent result with an inch long incision under the chin a small one behind each earlobe

Least invasive Treatment of Neck Wattle

It is very difficult to tell exactly what would work for you from one picture. If the wattle is mostly fat with the skin pushed out, then liposuction could give you significant improvement with little "invasion." For anything else, the only way to improve the area is a full face/neck lift. Nothing else will reduce the excess skin with a reasonable scar. I have never seen a direct excision scar that I thought was acceptable.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Neck rejuvenation options

Thanks for sharing. Current neck rejuvenation treatments:
  1. Surgical Neck lift* with a lower facelift would be the gold standard and get you the best results
  2. Surgical Neck lift* would be the next best procedure
  3. Neck liposuction and or laser lipolysis if only fat removal is required, typically in a younger patient
  4. Ultherapy is an FDA approved non invasive tightening using ultrasound technology
  5. Kybella is a new FDA approved injection that melts fat under the chin
*It is important the a Neck lift involves some liposuction and importantly a platysmaplasty which is a procedure that tightens the underlying loose neck muscles.

Based on your photos option 1 would really be needed to get the results you are likely desiring. 
Talk to several board certified surgeons experienced in face and neck lifting.

Raymond E. Lee, MD

A lower face and neck can be preformed with local anesthesai and twilight sedation without the need for general anesthesia

Based on the photograph you provided, your best option is a minimally invasive lower face and neck lift. This procedure can be performed with local anesthesia and twilight sedation without the need for general anesthesia. Please look at the link below to see various results with this technique.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Laser Assisted Weekend Facelift

It is possible that you may be a candidate for what I have termed, "The Laser Assisted Weekend Necklift:" It is a minimally invasive procedure.

Cervicofacial Liposculpture is first employed to contour the unfavorable fatty changes seen in the face and neck as time passes by, such as the ‘Turkey neck’ and ‘double chin’.

Careful attention is then turned to tightening the neck muscles and eliminating neck bands. Finally, I employ laser technology to ‘resurface’ the underside of the neck skin, thereby ‘shrinkwrapping’ the skin of the neck restoring a youthful contour.

A consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon will help determine which procedures will provide the best results for you.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of "neck wattle."

The neck wattle is a combination of excess skin, fat above the platysma muscle and fat below the platysma muscle.  Removing "just the wattle" involves more than meets the eye. It is not a simple procedure, and, in fact, it can be very challenging.  As others have mentioned, a comprehensive face and neck lift is sometimes the best approach. An in-person consultation will give you the best answers so I would encourage you. Best of luck. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Hereditary neck fat and turkey neck

To rejuvenate the neck, fat must be removed above and below the platysma muscle. In addition, excess neck skin must be tightened. The muscles in the neck must also tightened in addition to removing the jowls that are sagging across the jawline into the neck. A comprehensive face/neck lift  will give you the best result. For many examples, please see the link below to our facelift photo gallery.

Least invasive way to remove a neck wattle

There are a few options when it comes to treating a neck like yours. Your anatomy would make it difficult to achieve significant results with a minimally invasive procedure. A direct excision of skin and tissue from the midline of your neck is an option but would leave you with a relatively large external scar.

A necklift and facelift would likely give you a better result with much more hidden scars. Liposuction of the neck area can also be done to help with the fullness of your neck; without also tightening the neck tissues with a neck/facelift you would likely end up with persistent skin drooping.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

SmartLipo Triplex may be an option for neck wattle

Removal of the neck fat and skin tightening with a formal necklift will provide the most dramatic and lasting improvement for redundant neck skin and fat.  However, with the advent of new technology such as SmartLipo Triplex, many patients can achieve very nice outcomes with a much less invasive procedure.  Typically, this is done on an out-patient basis, under local anesthesia with minimal downtime.  Results may vary depending on how much fatty tissue is present and the patient's skin elasticity.  I have seen many patients your age that do not want a face or neck lift and have been very pleased with the results achieved with SmartLipo.  Good luck to you.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Non invasive Neck Lift?

Thank you for the question and picture.

Unfortunate, there is no good treatment except for neck/face lifting surgery. However, based on the single profile picture I think you may end up with a very nice result with this surgical procedure.

It may behoove you to be seen by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.