What Day is Your Nose Most Swollen After Surgery?

Swelling waxes and wanes after rhino

The first important consideration is whether the surgery is a primary or a revision surgery.  The following statements are based on primary surgery.

Swelling is maximum at 48 h

Then swelling subsides

A rebound swelling occurs 24 hours after the splint is removed and this tapers over the next 3-5 days.

Raghu Athre, MD

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Nose Surgery

Swelling after most surgical procedures is maximal at about 36 hours afterward.  This varies however, depending on many factors:  How much lymphatic drainage of the nose was disrupted by your procedure, how much electrocautery was used and where, how much bleeding you have post-operatively and where, your fluid and salt intake patterns, etc.

Steve Laverson, MD

Swelling After Your Nose Job

The first 2-3 days directly after your rhinoplasty would be the time that your nose is most swollen, as the procedure and your associated recovery are still fresh and recent. If you are worried about being in a social setting because of your swelling, I would advise that you plan your schedule accordingly. Plan to take off about a week from your normal routine, as this is the most dramatic part of your recovery process. After this time, you can apply light makeup to help mask swelling and will likely feel more comfortable going out in public.

Sam Rizk, MD

Nasal swelling after rhinoplasty

When I counsel my patients prior to their rhinoplasty surgery I warn them that their swelling will be more dramatic between days 3-5 then what it was like immediately after surgery.  The swelling usu sally subsides significantly by day 7 and the healing process will go on for months.  There are of course variations in healing times but, these time frames can be used as a guideline.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

No set date

There is no set day that the swelling is at its "maximum".  Rather, know that the swelling decreases as time goes by and it may take months for the entire swelling to go away, usually 12 to 18 months.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Swelling after rhinoplasty

In general for any facial plastic procedure swelling peaks at about 3 days. With rhinoplasty the tape and cast hold some of the swelling down which then subsides over the first week. When the cast is removed at 5-7 days you can have some rebound swelling though not usually as much as in the first 3 days. 80% of the edema is usually resolved by 6-8 weeks and sometimes sooner. The final 20% can take up to one year.

Von Graham, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

There is no set time for when this would happen but I'd say the first post-op day after the Rhinoplasty and the day after the nasal cast is removed.

Rhinoplasty swelling peaks on day three

The swelling after rhinoplasty hits a peak after the third day, and settles down considerably by six to seven. Much of the swelling is in the tip, the more 'mobile' area of the nose as the splint will control swelling over the bridge.

Swelling gets worse over 48 hrs, so I would have to say day 3 should be the max. Apply ice and use Arnica Montana to reduce bruising and swelling. Check with your surgeon.