Bulbous Nose and Retracted Nostrils 3 Months After Rhinoplasty, Am I Looking at the Final Results?

It's been 3 months since my (tip deprojection) rhinoplasty and my nose is bulbous as compared to before rhinoplasty. I also appear to have some retracted nostrils. Attached are some before and after images. Would you agree that the nose is bulbous and the nostril is retracted? How much of this would be due to swelling as it's been 3 months already and how much due to bad nose surgery. I was under the impression from reading other posts that 80% of the swelling dissapates within 3 months.

Bulbous Tip and Retracted Nostril 3 Months After Rhinoplasty

+2

I tell this to ALL my rhinoplasty patients and you will hear it from almost ALL plastic surgeons:  Do not look at your nose for the first 8 months after your surgery.  It will take that long to get a sense as to how it will ultimately appear, and it will take 12-18 months to fully heal.  Take comfort in the fact that nothing can be done about it right now - just be patient.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

+1

At hree months post Rhinoplasty, surely some residual swelling still exists however, the tip won't rotate upward during the remaing healing phase but the tip itself may thin out, with time.  The shape of the nostrils will not change IMHO.

Results three months after rhinoplasty

+1

It is too soon to be concerned about the final appearance of your nose.  At three months after a rhinoplasty, you are still in the early stages of healing, and swelling in the tip of the nose typically requires the longest amount of time to resolve.  You should expect to see continued resolution and changes to the contour of your nose over the next six to nine months.   

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous tip

+1

You still have a considerable amount of edema in your tip. If your nose was significantly deprojected then you will have excess skin which needs at least a year to fully contract. Be patient and work with your surgeon.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous Tip post rhinoplasty

+1

Since the pictures are not labeled I presume the first one is pre-op. You do seem to have some narrowing of your tip but from the lateral view you also seem to have some supratip fullness. This area is the last to resolve in terms of swelling. You also have thickened skin which is a challenge for rhinoplastic surgeons. This is dealt with during surgery by judiciously thinning the subcutaneous fat and soft tissue in this area as well as adjusting the cartilaginous structure. This step in itself creates more edema. This may take a full year to completely resolve. Be patient. In my patients I will occasionally use  very small volume steroid injections in this area if I think it is not progressing as it should.

Von Graham, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous Tip 3 Months Post Rhinoplasty

+1

You are not looking at the final result 3 months after rhinoplasty. Swelling, especially in the tip, will continue to decrease over the next 9-12 months. Having said that, you do have a bulbous tip and retracted nostrils. Be patient!

Female

+1

You are still early in the healing curve and the tip is the last to really change. It appears to me that you have had an open tip procedure. This will result in longer tip swelling and temporary collumela protrusion

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Bolbous tip

+1

From the pictures you submitted it appeasr that you have thick skin on the tip. Very tricky to work with this, as the changes done underneath to the cartilage will not reveals through a thick skin "envelope". You also have some nostril retraction, this may be from several factors.

Due to the timing of you surgery, and without a personal exam, it  will be hard to predict what the final result will be.If the skin is as thick as it appears once the swelling has mostly gone (about 9 months or so) and the tip still appears bolbous, more cartilage not less, will have to be added to refine the tip appearance and fix the nostrils.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Final results from rhinoplasty can take a year

+1

It is hard to tell from your photos how things will end up, and for most the final results after rhinoplasty will take up to a year for all the tissues to soften and the details to show through. You are off to a good start and it is best at this point to be patient.

peterejohnsonmd

Early but....

+1

You DO need to be patient - final results will not be for a year or more! Go back and express your concerns to your surgeon, sometimes careful injection of dilute steroids can help the swelling. 

That being said, you do seem to have a bit of a "pollybeak" or excess tissue just above the tip. That can be from excess cartilage in that area, scar tissue, or over aggressive removal of the dorsum. Combined with the retraction of the nostrils, I am guessing you may be having excess scar tissue forming and contracting. See your surgeon.

J. Charles Finn, MD
Raleigh-Durham Facial Plastic Surgeon