Right Butt Cheek Hard and Lumpy After Fat Grafting

I had a buttocks fat grafting done in Jan 2009. My left butt cheek healed nicely but my right one is hard and lumpy like a rock. It is almost the size of my palm. I massage it but seems like its not working. Why is it like this? Is it dead clumpy fats? How do I get this corrected?

Fat Necrosis after Brazilian Butt Lift

+3

Hi there-

In the Brazilian Butt Lift technique, fat is removed from one area of the body and grafted into the buttocks to improve shape and projection. This fat is dependent on the diffusion of nutrients from the surrounding tissues for the time it takes for new blood vessels to form that will nourish the new tissue in the long term.

If some of the grafted fat cells don't get enough blood flow, they will either be absorbed by the body (which should be expected to some extent with this technique), or will become a firm mass called fat necrosis. It sounds like this is what you have experienced (although of course there is no way to know for sure without an examination).

If this is in fact fat necrosis, there are several options available to you- you should discuss these with your surgeon, but generally the area will soften over time (although it sometimes takes more than a few months).

Talk to your surgeon about the options- usually time takes care of the problem, but understanding the problem and the options will probably make you feel a lot better.

Hard mass in buttock after fat graft

+1

If one cheek feels perfectly fine and the other has a hard lump it is most likely a hematoma or some fat necrosis.  There is no good way to resove these surgically and you may want to massage and apply moderate heat.  If you are numb there do not apply heat for fear of burning yourself.  Over a long period of time you should see gradual improvement.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Hard lumps after Brazilian Butt Enhancement probably fat necrosis

+1

This is probably FAT NECROSIS.

If it has not gone by now then you will need surgery to remove the fat that has not taken, This can be done with ultrasound liposuction. This will leave you with minimal if any scar. Wait till healed then do another fat grafting to equalize you.

Brazilian Butt Lift Fat Necrosis

+1

The hard area is likely fat cells that did not take or become vascularized. At this point I would simply massage as much as possible. It will take some time and it should resolve over time with the massage. There is possibility that it may not resolve with time. But I would give it atleast a year before start worrying about it.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD