Butt Looks Too High After Brazilian Butt Lift

I just had a Brazilian Butt Lift five days ago, and am worried that the fat that was added too high up. Is my garment causing it to look this way? It does seem to look natural. Will this drop and look natural? Should I wait to see my doctor in five days from now or go see him ASAP? I'm going on vacation at the end of May and wondering, will I heal enough to be in a bikini by then? Thanks.

WAY too early to be worried- especially with this procedure...

Hi there-

5 days postop is too early to be concerned about your outcome with any procedure, but especially with any fat grafting procedure such as a Brazilian Butt Lift.

I do this procedure frequently, and would be surprised if most of my patients did not feel their butt was too large and high at first- this is because we intentionally place a large amount of fat (more than we need to achieve the patient's goals) with the understanding that some portion of the fat placed is going to be absorbed by the body (the amount absorbed depends a lot on the surgeon's technique and experience). Additionally, there is the expected postop swelling that you are also undoubtedly experiencing.

So, you should expect some of the volume to be lost over the next month or two and the shape to evolve as this occurs.

Stay cool- I bet you end up loving your new bottom!

High buttock

I used to run into this in muy earlier experience with this technique.  Often when I saw it (in my hands) it was due to inadequate suction of the upper areas of the buttock.  It is far too early for you to know if that is the problem.  I never injected too high up there but with you in the prone position it is certianly possible.  Unfortunately for your trip, this may still be around - ask your board certified plastic surgeon if there is anything he can do...fortunately, too much fat is easy to resolve. 

Best Wishes,

DoctorMeade

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Brazilian Butt Lift Recovery

Thanks for the question -

We perform many of these operations in our San Francisco area practice. 

The healing process takes time.  In the first two weeks there is a substantial amount of swelling both in the area of fat transfer (your buttocks) and the areas that were liposuctioned (most commonly at least your abdomen and flanks).

We counsel our patients to start seeing substantial results at about 4 weeks with the final shape at about 4-6 months.

Good luck on your new look!  Our patients love this procedure.

Normal for butt to look fuller early after the Brazilian Butt Lift

Early after the Brazilian Buttocks lift, my patients all have a buttocks that is larger and fuller than it well be in 2-3 months. Most wish it would stay that way, but there is always a component of swelling that will go away. So, some of this fullness up high is most likely swelling, some of it is fat that will get reabsorbed, and some of it is fat that will settle somewhat with gravity over the next few months. So, just be patient, it will get better.

Brazilian butt lift

You are way too early in the postoperative period to comment on how the butt lift will shape.  There is too much swelling that can affect your result right now, so sit tight.  It takes months before you are able to determine the final shape of the brazilian butt lift.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Expect swelling for 7-8 weeks... and some residual swelling after that.

Patients undergoing Brazilian butt lift surgery can anticipate significant swelling in the immediate post-operative period.This swelling resolves quickly with the vast majority being gone in about three weeks. Almost all of the visible swelling is gone in 7 to 8 weeks, but small amounts of residual swelling may be present for up to 3 to 4 months following surgery.
Compression garment are frequently used following Brazilian butt lift surgery to minimize swelling.Swelling can add to a patients post-operative discomfort.It can also increase anxiety regarding buttock size and shape immediately after surgery.
For these reasons, we feel it’s important for the patient and the surgeon to have good communication regarding this topic immediately following surgery.In this situation, a little reassurance can go a long way towards making this a more comfortable experience.

At five days it's too early to tell what your result might look like. Please provide photos 3-4 from this time for a better estimate.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS

Buttock to high after Brazilian Butt Lift

It is normal for the buttock to appear high soon after surgery.  This is because of swelling and muscle spasm.  The buttock will appear more normal after 6-12 weeks.  You have to be patient.

Dennis Dass, MD

Brazillian butt lift

Too soon following surgery to worry.  The process of swelling takes time.  After 2-3 weeks, you will have a much better idea.  I ask my patients not sit on the buttocks for at least 3 weeks. 

Shahin Javaheri, MD