Local Anesthesia for Brazilian Butt Lift?

I am afraid of getting general anesthesia, but want to get a brazilian butt lift. Can it be performed under local anesthesia?

This would not be in your best interests

+6

Hi there-

A few things are important for you to understand...

First of all, for healthy people, modern anesthesia is low risk (anesthesia techniques and medications have advanced with technology just like everything else), and for many procedures, the risk of general anesthesia is much lower than the risk of trying to do the procedure under sedation, because with deep sedation there is no control of your airway.

Secondly, it is very important for you to understand that there is a very significant difference between whether something CAN be done, and whether it SHOULD be done.

Brazilian Butt Lift surgery is a procedure I do often, and I can tell you that I would never consider attempting it under local- it would be prohibitively painful for the toughest of patients, and if you are in pain, it is impossible to do our best work, because rather than concentrating on the task at hand, I will be worrying about the pain I am causing you. Also, if you are in pain, it will be nearly impossible for you to hold still while we work, further compromising the outcome of the operation. This almost guarantees that you will not get the nice outcome you desire. Furthermore, because there is a limit to how much numbing medicine we can give you, there is a very real possibility that some portion of the procedure will have to be abandoned or postponed for another day because this limit is reached.

Compromising your outcome before the surgery ever starts because you want to avoid the anesthesia doesn't make any sense. If what you want is a big, beautiful, round butt, there are ways of achieving this for you- but not without appropriate anesthesia.

Give it some thought and discuss it with a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Brazilian butt lift with local anesthesia is standard

+2

Brazilian butt lift is normally performed with local anesthesia, ideally with sedation (so-called "twilight").Since we have the waterjet fat harvest technique available, we do not need to resort to more invasive forms of anesthesia.Fat harvest is much faster.

Also infiltration of local anesthesia and suction is simultaneous in the waterjet technique, so there is no fluid overload which further contributes to the safety of the procedure.

Therefore, Brazilian butt lift is best done under local anesthetic if Body Jet is used to harvest the fat.

Alexander Aslani, MD, EBOPRAS
Spain Plastic Surgeon

General anesthesia is advised

+1

A Brazilian butt lift involves removing excess fat from different regions of the body and positioning the patient on the stomach or side. To ensure survival of a large volume of the grafted fat several passes of the fat injection cannula is necessary in multiple levels of each buttock. For patient comfort, and to ensure a painless procedure general anesthesia is necessary. However, some facilities are use intravenous sedation with local anesthesia or spinal anesthesia to allow a Brazilian butt lift to be performed without general aneshesia.

Norman G. Morrison, MD, FACS

Local Anesthesia for Brazilian Butt Lift

+1

Local anesthesia is generally a bad idea for the Brazilian Butt Lift, and will limit the improvement that you will receive. Do not tie your surgeon's hands if you want the best possible outcome. Consult with 3 - 4 surgeons to explore your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

General anesthesia for brazilian butt lift

+1

I would think you would be more afraid to have this procedure done under local anesthesia. I highly recommend you really think about this before you decide on going through with the procedure. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to be examined and for best results. Good luck to you.

Jaime Perez, MD

General operations under local anesthetic

+1

I've tried many of these operations under local anesthetic and I've found that we are trying to satisfy patient's requests (which is very very important) to avoid something that really allows us to do our job artistically and not focus on discomfort and awareness or pain, etc...  It may be possible but it's surely a bad idea that would limit the reuslt in my hands.  Others may differ but the risk of a local anesthetic in an operation of this general area would probably put you at more risk for lido toxicity (even if you used the vibratory lipo methods).  Just my 2 cents.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Brazilian Buttock enhancement

+1

Brazilain buttock enhancement require 300-5-- cc of pure fat for each buttock.

to get that amount of pure fat you need to lipo about 2000-3000 cc of fat.

This requires liposuction from multiple areas of the body.

Large amount of lipo means using large volumes of local anesthetics which can be unsafe.

general anesthesia at the present time is very safe and the medications used is very safe. Also the monitoring of the patients these days makes surgery and general anesthesia extremely safe.

However, any surgery has its own set of risks and complications,and if you are not willing to take these risks or accept the risks DO NOT DO ANY SURGERY.

Maybe conscious sedation, straight local is hard for large amounts

+1

It depends on the amount of fat needed for harvesting and grafting. In general fat transfer could be done under local if small amounts are needed.

In larger fat transfer it will be hard to perform under staright local.Another option to consider is a conscious sedation in addition to local anaesthesia.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS