Local Anesthesia for Brazilian Butt Lift?

I am afraid of getting general anesthesia, but want to get a brazilian butt lift. Can it be performed under local anesthesia?

This would not be in your best interests

Hi there-

A few things are important for you to understand...

First of all, for healthy people, modern anesthesia is low risk (anesthesia techniques and medications have advanced with technology just like everything else), and for many procedures, the risk of general anesthesia is much lower than the risk of trying to do the procedure under sedation, because with deep sedation there is no control of your airway.

Secondly, it is very important for you to understand that there is a very significant difference between whether something CAN be done, and whether it SHOULD be done.

Brazilian Butt Lift surgery is a procedure I do often, and I can tell you that I would never consider attempting it under local- it would be prohibitively painful for the toughest of patients, and if you are in pain, it is impossible to do our best work, because rather than concentrating on the task at hand, I will be worrying about the pain I am causing you. Also, if you are in pain, it will be nearly impossible for you to hold still while we work, further compromising the outcome of the operation. This almost guarantees that you will not get the nice outcome you desire. Furthermore, because there is a limit to how much numbing medicine we can give you, there is a very real possibility that some portion of the procedure will have to be abandoned or postponed for another day because this limit is reached.

Compromising your outcome before the surgery ever starts because you want to avoid the anesthesia doesn't make any sense. If what you want is a big, beautiful, round butt, there are ways of achieving this for you- but not without appropriate anesthesia.

Give it some thought and discuss it with a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery.

I would not recommend it. Too painful and too dangerous. Seek a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS

General Anesthesia Offers Fewer Surgical Limitations

Although it’s possible to perform a brazilian butt lift with local anesthesia and I.V. sedation, it’s probably not a good idea for a variety of reasons. As a result, the vast majority of plastic surgeons prefer performing this procedure under general anesthesia.
Local anesthesia has several major drawbacks when utilized for brazilian butt lift surgery.These include the length of the case, the multiple numbers of distinct anatomic areas that are utilized as donor sites, the potential for significant breakthrough pain and discomfort and the potential for airway problems in patients who may require multiple position changes.
These potential problems might lead the surgeon to decrease the length of the procedure and limit the amount of fat harvested from donor sites.Ultimately, this could potentially have a negative impact on the overall results of brazilian butt lift surgery.
In contrast, general anesthesia is safe and comfortable and doesn’t impose any of these limitations on the surgeon.This approach allows the surgeon the time necessary to meet the patient’s aesthetic goals and expectations.
If you’re concerned about anesthesia and brazilian butt lift surgery, it’s important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon.This surgeon should be able to answer all your questions and alleviate your anxiety regarding this topic.

General anesthesia is advised

A Brazilian butt lift involves removing excess fat from different regions of the body and positioning the patient on the stomach or side. To ensure survival of a large volume of the grafted fat several passes of the fat injection cannula is necessary in multiple levels of each buttock. For patient comfort, and to ensure a painless procedure general anesthesia is necessary. However, some facilities are use intravenous sedation with local anesthesia or spinal anesthesia to allow a Brazilian butt lift to be performed without general aneshesia.

Local Anesthesia for Brazilian Butt Lift

Local anesthesia is generally a bad idea for the Brazilian Butt Lift, and will limit the improvement that you will receive. Do not tie your surgeon's hands if you want the best possible outcome. Consult with 3 - 4 surgeons to explore your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Brazilian butt lift with local anesthesia is standard

Brazilian butt lift is normally performed with local anesthesia, ideally with sedation (so-called "twilight").Since we have the waterjet fat harvest technique available, we do not need to resort to more invasive forms of anesthesia.Fat harvest is much faster.

Also infiltration of local anesthesia and suction is simultaneous in the waterjet technique, so there is no fluid overload which further contributes to the safety of the procedure.

Therefore, Brazilian butt lift is best done under local anesthetic if Body Jet is used to harvest the fat.

General anesthesia for brazilian butt lift

I would think you would be more afraid to have this procedure done under local anesthesia. I highly recommend you really think about this before you decide on going through with the procedure. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to be examined and for best results. Good luck to you.

Jaime Perez, MD

General operations under local anesthetic

I've tried many of these operations under local anesthetic and I've found that we are trying to satisfy patient's requests (which is very very important) to avoid something that really allows us to do our job artistically and not focus on discomfort and awareness or pain, etc...  It may be possible but it's surely a bad idea that would limit the reuslt in my hands.  Others may differ but the risk of a local anesthetic in an operation of this general area would probably put you at more risk for lido toxicity (even if you used the vibratory lipo methods).  Just my 2 cents.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD