Bumps on Nipple After Breast Lift and Implants

A month after breast lift (w/nipple reconstruction) and , I've noticed small lumps on my breast. They're about the size, shape and color (redness) of a pimple. I'm not sure if I ruptured something being too active too soon. It's also very hot where I am (100 deg today) and although I stay inside as much as possible, maybe it's a heat rash. Not sure what it is or what I did to cause it. Please help!

Bumps on nipple

+3

Actually, these are a normal finding, unrelated to your breast surgery. They are called Montgomery's tubercles or Montgomery's glands of the breast. It's not a pimple or infection or post-op problem. In some women, they are simply a little more prominent. No treatment is required.

They are Montgomery Glands

+3

This is not at all unusual with the type of lift you had (called a circumareolar mastopexy). The circulation to the nipple and areolar is partially restricted by the scar all the way around the areola which make the areola and the glands of Montgomery swell. These are the bumps you are seeing. They will diminish as the swelling subsides.

For a brief review of Mongomery glands click here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glands_of_Montgomery

They look like swollen Montgomery glands

+3

Hello

They appear to be swollen Montgomery glands, which are normal and were there prior to surgery. Wait until all your swelling goes down and review your preop photos. You may see those glands there already. If they are what I think they are, you have nothing to worry about. Do consult back with your surgeon.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Normal "bumps"

+3

It is normal to have these bumps around you areola and they are called Montgomery's Follicles. It may be that these are more noticible since your surgery. As long as they are not red, draining , painful, etc., they should be fine. You can never go wrong checking in with your plastic surgeon though.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Could be normal after Breast Lift and Implants

+3

A clinical exam would rule out any infection. To me, this seems like the enlargement of the montgomery's tubercles. These are natural occuring tubercles in the breast that show more during pregnancy or with swelling.The later could explain this finding.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Ask your doctor

+3

Please call your doctor about this. Your doctor is familiar with your case and he need to informed of your condition . call him and . It does not seems to be a major issue

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Montgomery Glands

+2

I agree, they appear to be Montgomery glands.  Normal little bumps in the areola skin surrounding the nipple.  They become more noticeable and swollen after surgery.  Please check with your local PS to make sure nothing else is occurring.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Bumps on nipple after a breast lift with implant

+2

The bumps on the nipple were always there.  They are small glands that you don't notice much but swell after the surgery.  They will go away with time.

All the best, Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Unlikely, but you might have a stitch abscess.

+2

Hi!

Where is your surgeon?  What does she or he say?

It's hard to tell from the picture.  You didn't do anything, and you may be healing just fine.  But one of the normal nipple glands (the bumps) does look red and might need to be lanced.   See your surgeon!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Looks fine

+2

Ajonesca,

The picture looks like a fine result and not unusual for a 1 month result.  There is swelling in the glands within the areola, which is causing your concern.  This is normal and will continue to resolve over time.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD