Weight Gain Normal After Breast Augmentation?

I recently got Breast implants and I think that they're too big. I've been beating myself up about it because I was originally going to get 320 cc's, but ended up getting talked into having 360 cc's instead. I was 123 pounds, 5' 3" before the surgery and the day after, I weighed 131 Ibs. Is this weight gain normal?

Weight Gain Following Breast Augmentation

+2

Weight gain following surgery is commonly due to fluid retention. The weight from your implants total is 1.6 pounds.  The volume difference between 320 cc and 360 cc implants is 1.3 ounces for each implant.  This is not a significant volume difference to effect the overall result.  It sounds like you've retained a significant amount of fluid and probably have some swelling at this point. Most patients will see a significant change in breast volume over 2-3 weeks following surgery. I would wait at least 6 weeks before drawing any early conclusions about your result.  Breast implant size and shape will continue to improve 3-6 months following surgery, and your perception of the result may change during this time as well.  Please discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon who performed the surgery.  Good luck to you. 

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Fluid retention after surgery

+1
The eight pound weight difference is mostly fluid retention from having surgery - most of that will subside in the first week (usually around day 3 and 4).

Keep in mind that you are swollen and it's too early to judge the size of your implants - it will take 4 to 6 weeks for you to have a good idea of your final result. Stay hydrated and avoid salt to help get the extra fluid off. Most importantly, don't beat yourself up - 40cc is only about 2.5 tablespoons.

Grant Stevens, MD

Weight Gain and Fluid Retention Following Surgery

+1

Weight gain occurs frequently following surgery. This weight gain is the result of fluid retention and occurs to some degree in all patients. In response to significant physiologic stress such as surgery, it’s normal for patients to retain fluid and gain weight.

Your breast implants account for less than two pounds of your weight gain. The remaining weight gain is related to water weight. It’s important to remember, that this is a temporary phenomena and within two weeks, most patients have returned to their baseline.

If you have concerns about this issue, make sure it’s discussed with your plastic surgeon. In many cases, a little reassurance can make the post-operative experience less stressful for patients. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Weight Gain and Breast Augmentation

+1

The 40cc difference in each implant is only about 2.5 tablespoons.  Both implants together weigh less than 2lbs.  Your weight gain is likely just fluid retention from the IV fluids you were given during surgery.  The retention will subside with time.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Weight gain after surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question.The weight gain you have experienced is normal and temporary.

At your stage recovery is very common for patients to be concerned about their results (being too big or too small).  Often after a period of 3 to 6 months those same patients are quite pleased with the results of their surgery.

For patients thinking about presentation…it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Weight gain after breast augmentation

+1

Weight gain after almost any surgery is common.  The body tends to hold on to fluid after surgery.  Gaining a few pounds more than the weight of your implants is to be expected.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast implant augmentation and weight gain

+1

IT is not uncommon for my patients to report a 5 pound weight gain after breast implant augmentation despite the fact that the implants weigh nor more than 2 pounds.

Breast implants don't weigh that much

+1

The breast implants don't really weigh that much. It might be water retention from the "stress of surgery" which should resolve with time. Checking things a few months later might be better.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation usually doesn't cause weight gain, but give it more time

+1

Hi,

40 cc is not a big enough difference to make you gain several pounds. Typically, you should only gain a couple pounds at most after your surgery depending on the size of the implant.

You could still be experiencing some swelling so give your body a little more time to heal and adjust to the implants. After a few months, you should see a more realistic view of your body after your breast augmentation.

Weighing yourself the day after surgery is also not a good idea, since patients usually retain water, and this can take a few weeks to get out of your system, especially because most patients are not very active initially.

Thanks for your question. Have a great day!

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Interesting

+1

The difference of 40 cc's is approximately 3 tablespoons! The difference in the inplants is mainly in the diameter, not in the projection. The weight of the implants is roughly 750 gms including the implant itself. Assuming that this is the same density of water, this would be about a 1.7 lb increase in your weight. You may also have some residual swelling depending on how far out from surgery. Also, as you get farther out, your swelling will decrease and breast size will appear to decrease.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD