Weight Gain Normal After Breast Augmentation?

I recently got Breast implants and I think that they're too big. I've been beating myself up about it because I was originally going to get 320 cc's, but ended up getting talked into having 360 cc's instead. I was 123 pounds, 5' 3" before the surgery and the day after, I weighed 131 Ibs. Is this weight gain normal?

Weight Gain Following Breast Augmentation

+2

Weight gain following surgery is commonly due to fluid retention. The weight from your implants total is 1.6 pounds.  The volume difference between 320 cc and 360 cc implants is 1.3 ounces for each implant.  This is not a significant volume difference to effect the overall result.  It sounds like you've retained a significant amount of fluid and probably have some swelling at this point. Most patients will see a significant change in breast volume over 2-3 weeks following surgery. I would wait at least 6 weeks before drawing any early conclusions about your result.  Breast implant size and shape will continue to improve 3-6 months following surgery, and your perception of the result may change during this time as well.  Please discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon who performed the surgery.  Good luck to you. 

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Swelling can contribute to weight gain

+1
It generally takes a few months for the breasts to settle. During this time, you will be affected by swelling as well. This could be contributing to your weight gain. Give it four months or so. In the meantime, drink plenty of fluids, go to the washroom regularly and cut back on sodium.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Do not despair!

+1
The implants themselves weigh about 1.6 puns at this size.  You need to factor that in.  Also, the early postoperative swelling will go down.  The difference between 320 and 360 may not be enough for you to lose sleep over.  You will likely get used to the size, the breast shape will improve, and everything will resolve itself over the first 6 months.  Do not despair!

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

You may be too big, but give it time.

+1
Weight gain after any surgical procedure is quite frequent. The hormonal changes that occur as a result of the stress of surgery can cause patients to retain water. Couple that situation with the administration of large volumes of fluid from an IV, and you can certainly expect some change. Fortunately, this increase in weight is temporary and will gradually begin to go away when the body begins to eliminate the excess fluid. This normally begins around three days after surgery.

In some situations where the water weight is not occurring naturally, you may notice persistent fluid retention and swelling. If significant enough, your surgeon may advise you to take a diuretic to help the kidneys work to remove that excess.

Lastly, breast implants generally do not contribute significantly to weight increases. For example, a 400cc silicone breast implant weighs 424gm or 15 ounces (roughly two pounds for a pair). Hope this helps.

Best of luck.

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

Fluid retention after surgery

+1
The eight pound weight difference is mostly fluid retention from having surgery - most of that will subside in the first week (usually around day 3 and 4).

Keep in mind that you are swollen and it's too early to judge the size of your implants - it will take 4 to 6 weeks for you to have a good idea of your final result. Stay hydrated and avoid salt to help get the extra fluid off. Most importantly, don't beat yourself up - 40cc is only about 2.5 tablespoons.

Grant Stevens, MD

Weight Gain and Fluid Retention Following Surgery

+1

Weight gain occurs frequently following surgery. This weight gain is the result of fluid retention and occurs to some degree in all patients. In response to significant physiologic stress such as surgery, it’s normal for patients to retain fluid and gain weight.

Your breast implants account for less than two pounds of your weight gain. The remaining weight gain is related to water weight. It’s important to remember, that this is a temporary phenomena and within two weeks, most patients have returned to their baseline.

If you have concerns about this issue, make sure it’s discussed with your plastic surgeon. In many cases, a little reassurance can make the post-operative experience less stressful for patients. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Weight Gain and Breast Augmentation

+1

The 40cc difference in each implant is only about 2.5 tablespoons.  Both implants together weigh less than 2lbs.  Your weight gain is likely just fluid retention from the IV fluids you were given during surgery.  The retention will subside with time.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Weight gain after surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question.The weight gain you have experienced is normal and temporary.

At your stage recovery is very common for patients to be concerned about their results (being too big or too small).  Often after a period of 3 to 6 months those same patients are quite pleased with the results of their surgery.

For patients thinking about presentation…it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Weight gain after breast augmentation

+1

Weight gain after almost any surgery is common.  The body tends to hold on to fluid after surgery.  Gaining a few pounds more than the weight of your implants is to be expected.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast implant augmentation and weight gain

+1

IT is not uncommon for my patients to report a 5 pound weight gain after breast implant augmentation despite the fact that the implants weigh nor more than 2 pounds.