Post Rhinoplasty Bump on Inside of Nostril and Red Swollen "Membrane": Normal?

I had rhinoplasty 3 wks ago. 3 days ago I noticed a sore red bump inside my left nostril, at the edge of my columella where the incision begins (suture issue?). When looking at it with a flashlight to get a good view, I ended up looking deeper into the left nostril, and noticed a thick reddish "membrane" deep into the hole which appears to almost fill the passage. The right nostril looks perfect; I can see clearly all the way through. Is this normal internal swelling or a complication? Thanks!!!

Red bump inside the nose after rhinoplasty

+3

I agree that the bump near the columella is a suture. Make sure your surgeon sees you to determine if antibiotics are necessary. The larger bump deep in the nose is most likely the end of your inferior turbinate. The turbinate is a shelf of tissue made of bone, and soft tissue. The turbinate is often cauterized during a rhinoplasty and it may become temporarily swollen. Make sure your surgeon examines you thoroughly.

Inside nose issues after Rhinoplasty.

+1

First, you should not be looking inside your nose and manipulating it in any manner 3 weeks after your Rhinoplasty.  The redness near the suture is a typical reaction to the suture and should resolve without an issue.  The large red object, you see, inside your nose is a normal structure called the inferior turbinate and it's very normal for this to be red and swollen after a Rhinoplasty.  During your next post op visit, have your surgeon look inside to calm your fears...but sounds normal.

+1

You may be describing the head of inferior turbinate that are present on both side which basically act as air conditioning structures. It is normal to have one side swell up while the other shrink and vice versa.   You should not manipulate your nose after rhinoplasty. You can cause a nose bleed. Follow up with your surgeon and allow him to explain his findings. 

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post rhinoplasty

+1

It is difficult to say what these things are. You may be right about the small bump that could be a suture or swelling.  If you have concerns, I sugget that you contact your surgeontot be evaluated.

Bump and Membrane inside Nostril 3 Weeks Post-op

+1

The bump could easily be a small suture reaction in the incision line. The membrane may be a small clot or nasal secretions. It is unlikely either are significant problems, but talk to your surgeon.

+1

From your description it is hard to tell whether it is  synechiae (adhesion) or pssibly small sub mucosal hematoma.

Your  plastic surgeon  needs to examine your nose and treat it.

Erel Laufer, MD