2 Months Post Rhinoplasty: Bump is Getting Bigger and Harder

I had a rhinoplasty, nasal valve repair, turbinectomy and septoplasty 8 weeks ago. As more swelling subsides, a bony, hard bump on the bridge of my nose becomes more prominent and it had not previously existed before surgery.

It has only gotten bigger and harder as more swelling subsides. I would consider a "fix" down the road if necessary but does it need to involve general anesthesia again? My cartilage was used for the repair to my nose. Thanks

Hump after rhinoplasty

Dera Christine:

It is possible that the hump was there right after your surgery, but as the swelling has decreased it has started to "self reveal". The other possibility is that there is some swelling and this will improve with time.

Since you are eight weeks out from surgery and the swelling has just started to get better, I would advise on waiting.

Michel Siegel, MD

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump developing after Rhinoplasty

Yes, I'm afraid that some type of anesthesia would be required to lift the tissues off of the nose in order to gain access to the bump which could be the onlay cartilage graft used to repair your nose during the last Rhinoplasty.

Bump after rhinoplasty

Dear Christine,

It could be that not enough of your hump was removed at the time of your rhinoplasty.  It could also be scar tissue under the skin.  The best way to find out is to see your plastic surgeon so he can examine you and find out.  I wouldn't worry about general anesthesia, if it is just a little shave of the bump, it can be done under local anesthetic.  Nonetheless, go see him/her and that way, you won't have any doubts.

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Bump after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned especially with the hard bump on the bridge of your nose. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is normal especially that swelling takes time to subside as it masks the results of your surgery.

Without a physical exam it is not possible to provide you with a definitive medical answer.

It is important to keep in mind that it is early to pass a judgment. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself and to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendations at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling resolves, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Bumps after Rhinoplasty Surgery

Thank you for your question. It's difficult to provide a more specific answer without photographs. Bumps or asymmetry after rhinoplasty can be seen, especially early after surgery. These minor irregularities generally resolve with time. Two months is still relatively early after rhinoplasty. Speak with your rhinoplasty surgeon regarding any concerns you have. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can he/she help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump in nose

Sometimes as the swelling dissipates in the nose, minor irregularities become more noticeable.  These sometimes need to be revised.. 

Enlarging Bump 2 Months Post Rhinoplasty

The bump on your bridge may not be enlargingg, but is more visible as as swelling resolves. It is difficult to suggest what is causing the bump; were the nasal bones broken, was a hump removed, were cartilage grafts placed in the bridge? You can send pictures and more information or see your surgeon.

Posting before and after pics help us to dx,; however, the bump may be cartilage that was transferred to the nose and may have displaced; was likely there all along but is becoming more apparent as the swelling goes down.  You may need a revision if the bump persists, general anesthesia may not be necessary, but some surgeons dont like doing awake surgery- ask your surgeon.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

I agree this is very unusual, but posting photos always helps us advise you. Best to see second opinion in persin in your area.