Can I Have Rhinoplasty if I Have Crohn's Disease?

As I understand, one needs to be in healthy physical condition with no medical complications to have cosmetic surgery. I am a male in my twenties with Crohn's Disease, currently under control with a daily dose of Imuran.

I have a consult with a doctor in two weeks, however, I'm not sure if I should go if I will be told that no doctor will be willing to perform a rhinoplasty due to the increased possibility of infection, problems healing, or other factors. Will this be the case? Thank you.

Rhinoplasty and immunosuppressants

+3

Ideally, when having elective surgery, you should be as healthy as possible.  I have certainly operated on many urgent nasal cancer reconstructions with patients being on Imuran and have had little problems with healing.  However, being on Imuran is not as ideal as being off Imuran.  You would have to obtain medical clearance from your doctor before proceeding.  I would be happy to provide you a comprehensive evaluation and consultation.

Thomas T. Le, MD 

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can someone not in perfect health have cosmetic surgery?

+2

Its a good question. In your case the answer is a conditional yes. If your Crohn's disease is in remission, then probably. If the Crohn's is mild, then yes. Does having non-gut surgery increase the risk of a flare up? Your Gastroenterologist should know this answer, although I suspect its, yes but only slightly.

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Get medical clearance

+2

There is no doubt that being on immunosuppressive therapy and having another surgery may increase the risk of surgical complication. Your plastic surgeon should be able to coordinate with your gastroentrologist to do what is best for you.  Patient  on Imuran can go through surgical procedures with no complication. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Rhinoplasty with Crohn's disease

+2

Rhinoplasty has very low infection rates and Imuran should not be stopped if you choose to have the procedure unless your Gastroenterologist advises you to do so. If your medication has worked well to keep you in remission, and your blood counts are stable nasal surgery poses a very small risk. As with any individual with a medical condition, coordination with your primary care physician and Gastro., medical clearance will give you the optimum chance for safe elective surgery.

peterejohnsonmd

Rhinoplasty and Crohn's disease

+2

Usually Crohn's happens in flares.  Are there times when you don't need Imuran?  You should discuss this with your immunologist or GI doc who takes care of your medications.  You may be able to schedule your case when you are not on those immunosuppressive medications.  I doubt you would be able to find a surgeon would want to do an elective cosmetic case while you are on Imuran.  It increases complications and can lead to a hole in your septum among other things.  Most surgeons love the opportunity to operate, but we have to excercise caution if it isn't the right time.

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Rhinoplasty and Chron's

+1

Chron's disease if stable is not a contraindication for a Rhinoplasty however, I would require the patient to get medical clearance, for the Rhinoplasty, from the MD treating them for their Chron's.