Bromelain Effectiveness for Rhinoplasty Swelling 9 Months Post Op?

Being that I am not too thrilled with the result of my nose job (got surgery last oct 2011). I was told that I still may have swelling in the tip and to possibly use bromelain to help reduce the swelling. Is this an accurate opinion/statement? I know most people take it when they're only a couple weeks post op. what about 8-9 months? Also, my tip feels hard, rock like and numb. Is that a sign of swelling that could potentially go down? Especially with the use of bromelain? Thanks

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

The hardness in the tip of your nose is most likely due to swelling. Bromelian may help, but it is mainly meant to treat bruising. The only thing that will really resolve the issue is time. It could take a year or two before the nose completely heals and the swelling subsides. Be patient and see your doctor if you have any concerns.

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Time, Not Bromelaine, Is Most Effective For Swelling Present 9 Months After Your Rhinoplasty

+1

Most people have very little swelling remaining 9 months after their rhinoplasty. However, I occasionally see some tip swelling that can last up to 15 months after the surgery. If the tip of your nose is still very firm, it may mean that there is still some swelling present. At this point it is very unlikely that Bromelaine is going to help (although sometimes we recommend things, not because we think it is likely that they will be effective, but because we really do think that all you need is a bit more time, and we are trying to give you something to do to help you be patient- maybe this is what your surgeon is trying to do). In your situation it sounds like time is your friend. You likely just need to be patient for another 2-3 months and see what happens. If you are really concerned, it never hurts to get another opinion form an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. At the very least, this may to help put your mind at ease.I hope this helps. Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bromelain Effect On Nose 9 Months Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

After 9 months post-surgery, I doubt that Bromelain will help you reduce swelling if existing.

If you are a patient with a thick oily skin, then your end results will take a little over a year to get established.

I recommend that you have a little more patience.

Thank you for your questions.

The best of wished to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

+1

Not much will alter the appearance of your nose 9 months after a Rhinoplasty in most circumstances.