Will Nose Return Back to Normal if Only an Implant Was Used?

If only a silicon L shape implant was inserted into my nose, and possible scrapping of the bridge to to prepare the base for the implant was done during the procedure, will my nose return back to the natural state it was prior to the rhinoplasty surgery? I had surgery done 20 days ago and would no longer like to have something foreign in my nose. My concerns are around a sunken nose beyond what my original one looked like and the expected healing time.

Removal of Silicone Nasal Implant

+1

The answer depends on exactly what was done when the implant was placed in your nose. You probably will need a revision after the silicone is removed.

Will Nose Return Back to Normal if Only an Implant Was Used? #nosesurgery

+1

It is hard to know the nature of your procedure but from what you describe it sounds like cartilage and bone were excised to make room for that L-Strut implant. It can be removed however, I do not think you will have a nose that looks like it was before. Once you remove tissue it is hard to recreate the nose you once had. I would talk this over with your surgeon at length.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Recent nasal implant

+1

Your nose may or may not return to the exact shape as prior to the implant depending on the amount of tissue altered to accommodate the implant.  Discuss with your surgeon.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty for 25 years.  IMO, it's the amount of bone and cartilage that was removed in preparation of placement of the L-shaped nasal implant that is the issue.  Typically quite a bit of bone is removed to accommodate the implant making the old nose shape unattainable by removal of the implant alone.  

The L shaped nasal implants create a widening of the nasal tip as this is where the short vertical section, of the L implant is placed...between the tip cartilages.  This makes the nasal tip wider and the sura-tip area hard and prone to implant extrusion.  I have removed these L-shaped nasal implant on numerous occasions and replace them with a straight silastic dorsal implant and a conchal cartilage ear graft to re-shape the nasal tip.  Hope this helps.

Removing an L shaped Nasa Implant

+1

Hi,

If you had an L shaped nasal implant removing it should be pretty easy with little or no recovery time. The implant probably stretched your skin to a certain extent, so you may need some cartilage grafts with a revision rhinoplasty to make things right.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Patience Is Needed

+1

It seems that you are looking to remove your nasal implant aiming to have your pre-op nasal shape. If this is the case, then it is not possible to regain your initial nasal shape completely especially that you have mentioned that some "possible scrapping of the bridge" was performed as part of your surgery.

Your best bet at the moment is to be patient since you are at less then a month after your surgery. Also, I recommend that you follow your surgeon's instructions religiously while keeping him/her in the loop of your recovery process. 

The best of wishes to you. 

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Nose shape after nose implant removal

+1

thank you for the question. I think you need to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon. I wouldn't be in your best interest if you are give an answer online without proper examination. You are only 20 days out from surgery and your plastic surgeon should be able to answer that question.Best wishes.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Implant with Rhinoplasty

+1

The important thing is to be patient.  Final results after Rhinoplasty are not seen for many months after surgery.  Without knowing the details of surgery or seeing photos, it is difficult to know what to expect if the implant is removed.  I would recommend seeing your Plastic Surgeon again to further discuss your concerns.

Jarrod Little, MD