Sleep Bra for Support After Breast Implants and Lift?

After having Breast implants and breast lift, would you recommend using a sleep bra for extra support? Is so, do you recommend a particular one?

Wearing a sleep bra after breast lift with implants (augmentation mastopexy)

For women who exhibit excessive laxity of the skin and breat envelope preoperatively and for whom I believe may be at a higher rate for breast ptosis (sagging), I have recommended that they wear a sleep bra that provides gentle support and prevents the breasts from sliding outwards at night.

During the day I frequently recommend an IPEX style or Biofit bra without underwire. Jogbras are also excellent. Probably the most important factor is comfort so that the patient complies with bra use. I do believe it provides some protection against recurrent sagging but this is only my opinion and not scientifically validated.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Breast Augmentation/Lift and Bra Choice

Every surgeon will have a different postop plan and will tell you different things. I can only tell you what I recommend.
I generally have my patients wear a surgical bra/sports bra for about 4-8 weeks. I also have them wear sports bra to bed for the first 4 weeks. After that there is no need to wear sports bra to bed.
However, I always recommend the use of a sleep bra (it has a bit less support and more comfortable) to help prolong the youthful results as much as possible.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

10861 Cherry Street
Los Alamitos, CA 90720

Wearing a sleep bra after breast lift surgery?

There are a couple of schools of thought on this, but no real scientific basis on which to make a recommendation. I do suggest that patients wear a sleep bra after breast surgery, because the extra support can't hurt and might help over the long run. Whatever bra type is comfortable is OK, but some types of sports bras tend to flatten too much which isn't ideal.

Richard Baxter, MD

6100 219th St SW
Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043

Bra after augmentation

I typically recommend my patients wear a surgical support bra for 6 weeks, day and night following surgery.  This provides good support to the implant during the healing process and reduces some of the weight of the implant from the skin.  As for brands, that should be left to the preference of your surgeon.

Kunaal Jindal, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, ON M5M1T6

Compressive Surgical Support Bra Following Breast Augmentation and Lift

It’s not unusual for patients to undergo breast augmentation and breast lift surgery in combination. When these procedures are performed together we typically have patients wear a compressive surgical support bra for three weeks following surgery. After three weeks, patients are switched to an athletic sports bra that’s worn for an additional three weeks. In the early post-operative period, bras are worn day and night. After six weeks, patients are switched to an underwire bra which is only worn during the day.
After six weeks, we generally don’t recommend the use of a bra at night following this type of surgery. Occasionally we see patients who are more comfortable when they wear a sports bra while sleeping. When this situation arises we have no problem with the use of a sleep bra. It’s important to understand that each patient’s situation is unique. It’s therefore important to discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Sleep Bra After Breast Surgery?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. The question  regarding the use of bras is surprisingly common on this website;  there is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras. Therefore, best to check with your plastic surgeon.   For example, in my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place.  This surgical bra,  although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast implants have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin.   Best wishes; hopefully, you will be very pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure performed.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

No bra

I prefer that the patients wear no bra for 1 month after surgery to allow the wounds to heal.  Any pressure on the healing wounds can be a problem.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

525 Oak Centre Drive
San Antonio, TX 78258

Wear a bra day and night for the first eight weeks

I recommend that my patients wear their post-surgical bra every day and night for the first 8 weeks after their surgery. This provides support for the breasts and minimizes the risk of "bottoming out". A soft cup, wireless sports bra is good, or the compression bra recommended by your surgeon. Either should have hooks in the front, so that you don't have to struggle when putting it on.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

After breast lift with breast implants, use sports bra around the clock for 3 weeks.

Surgeons have different routines.  What we do in New York City after breast lift and breast implants is tell women to wear a sports bra 24 hours a day for three weeks.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075

Sleeping bra after breast surgery

A bra for sleeping after a breast lift or augmentation is probably not necessary.I do not recommend this to my patients.  As long as they wear a surgical bra or sports bra during the day, I think it is OK to go without it at night if they are comfortable.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028