Sleep Bra for Support After Breast Implants and Lift?

After having Breast implants and breast lift, would you recommend using a sleep bra for extra support? Is so, do you recommend a particular one?

Wearing a sleep bra after breast lift with implants (augmentation mastopexy)

+4

For women who exhibit excessive laxity of the skin and breat envelope preoperatively and for whom I believe may be at a higher rate for breast ptosis (sagging), I have recommended that they wear a sleep bra that provides gentle support and prevents the breasts from sliding outwards at night.

During the day I frequently recommend an IPEX style or Biofit bra without underwire. Jogbras are also excellent. Probably the most important factor is comfort so that the patient complies with bra use. I do believe it provides some protection against recurrent sagging but this is only my opinion and not scientifically validated.

Breast Augmentation/Lift and Bra Choice

+2
Every surgeon will have a different postop plan and will tell you different things. I can only tell you what I recommend.
I generally have my patients wear a surgical bra/sports bra for about 4-8 weeks. I also have them wear sports bra to bed for the first 4 weeks. After that there is no need to wear sports bra to bed.
However, I always recommend the use of a sleep bra (it has a bit less support and more comfortable) to help prolong the youthful results as much as possible.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Wearing a sleep bra after breast lift surgery?

+2

There are a couple of schools of thought on this, but no real scientific basis on which to make a recommendation. I do suggest that patients wear a sleep bra after breast surgery, because the extra support can't hurt and might help over the long run. Whatever bra type is comfortable is OK, but some types of sports bras tend to flatten too much which isn't ideal.

Richard Baxter, MD

No bra

+1
I prefer that the patients wear no bra for 1 month after surgery to allow the wounds to heal.  Any pressure on the healing wounds can be a problem.

Gary Lawton, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Wear a bra day and night for the first eight weeks

+1
I recommend that my patients wear their post-surgical bra every day and night for the first 8 weeks after their surgery. This provides support for the breasts and minimizes the risk of "bottoming out". A soft cup, wireless sports bra is good, or the compression bra recommended by your surgeon. Either should have hooks in the front, so that you don't have to struggle when putting it on.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

After breast lift with breast implants, use sports bra around the clock for 3 weeks.

+1

Hi.

Surgeons have different routines.  What we do in New York City after breast lift and breast implants is tell women to wear a sports bra 24 hours a day for three weeks.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Sleeping bra after breast surgery

+1

A bra for sleeping after a breast lift or augmentation is probably not necessary.I do not recommend this to my patients.  As long as they wear a surgical bra or sports bra during the day, I think it is OK to go without it at night if they are comfortable.

May suggest sleeping in a bra for the first few weeks

+1

There are certainly no absolutes when it comes to breast augmentation surgery and post operative instructions. In general, I usually have my patients wear a bra for the first three to four weeks. A comfortable fitting bra is all that is needed. This is done in an effort to control the way the capsule forms around the implant.

Bra choice after surgery

+1

Wearing a sleep bra may offer you more comfort at night, especially during the first 6 weeks afterward.  Then, I would avoid any undwire bras for at least one year as this may place pressure on part of your incisions and irritate them.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD