How Many Cc's of Breast Implants to Get D Cups?

I'm a 36A cup, 5'6" and want to be a large D or small DD. What cc's should I get? I weigh 145 pounds with a large frame?

Implant size does not always predict sup size

+2

Your question is one that we see at least twice a week on Real Self. The thing is, we are stuck with this inadequate language to describe breast size called the cup system, introduced by the Warner Bros. Corset Company in the 1930's, when social customs forbade a more accurate and direct measurement of the breast. The cup is determined as much by the size of the chest, the shape of the rib cage, and the bra manufacturer as much as the volume of the breast, not to mention trying to predict final size by adding the existing breast together with the implant. My suggestion is to ignore the cup and try on implant samples until you find the size that just looks and feels right.

Implant Size To Achieve Your Goals

+1
There are several factors that plastic surgeons consider when recommending implant sizes. I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

How many cc's of breast implants to get to 'D' cups?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.

Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

BBA

+1
There is no way to guarantee a particular bra size. Bra sizing varies greatly between bra manufacturers and a C in one bra will be a D in another. What matters more than the assigned bra size is the way the implant looks on you. The best option for your body and aesthetic goals can be determined in a thorough implant sizing session.
Implant sizing depends on several factors. One of the most important factors is your breast width. Generally, your surgeon will measure your breast width, and then provide you with a range of implant sizes appropriate for your native breast size. There are more nuances to it than just what I've described, but this approach works for most women.
I usually have my patients bring in a large bra and a tight t-shirt to do sizing. I'll then choose 3-4 implants that I feel are appropriate, and have my patients place them in the bra under the tight t-shirt. My patients can then look in the mirror and get a good sense of what they will look like with the provided implant sizes. My patients like this approach and get a great idea of how they will look.
By using this technique, your surgeon can outline a range of appropriate implant sizes that will be aesthetically pleasing, and you make the final decision.
I hope this helps. Good luck!

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

How many cc's of breat implant for a D or DD cup

+1
Generally speaking it takes roughly 150-200 cc's of breast implant to increase a cup size. Thus, depending on your current cup size and breast size and shape you would need at least 450-500 cc breast implants to enlarge by 3 cup sizes.

However for a DD you will likely need even larger implants in the 500-600cc range. The problem with these larger 500-600cc size breast implants is that the risk of complications like capsular contraction increase. These very large implants also often do not look natural.

Consult a plastic surgeon and have a breast implant sizing system evaluation. Do not focus on cup size but focus on the look that you want in your body.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Sizing

+1

One of the most important decisions facing breast augmentation patients is the size of breast implants that will be used. Most patients are striving for harmony, balance and proportion with the surrounding anatomic structures. Typically, they want a natural look with some fullness in the upper breast area.

Most patients tend to speak in terms of cup size. Unfortunately, cup size is not always helpful because manufacturers of bras label their products differently and women don’t always wear their bras the same way. In other words, some women wear their bras snuggly, while others wear them loosely. This creates communication problems when talking cup size.

In an effort to determine breast size in a more objective manner, I utilize external silicone sizers and the Vectra 3D computer imaging system. These systems help patients visualize what their breasts will look like with a specific sized implant. Patients find this to be extremely helpful.

The ability to visualize your projected surgical result alleviates much of the anxiety associated with this procedure. It’s important to remember that final adjustments in the size of breast implants will ultimately be made in the operating room based on anatomic considerations. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Proper Implant Selection

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Getting to a D cup

+1

It is very easy to be confused by this measuring system. Cup sizes are only used as estimates for clothing. Although the measuring technique for determining cup size is precise, the results of these measurements are not. Let me give you an example; weight is a very accurate measurement. However two patients that weigh 120 lbs are not likely to look alike. The same is true with two patients that have C cup breasts. This is why physicians tend to use volume (cubic centimeters or cc) as a more accurate measurement. Note: If you are trying to figure out what breast implant size you want to obtain, you can try the szing tool available through b4bra.com or read the articles about measuring there.

Size is a complex decision that is not only based upon your height, weight and current cup/bra size but ALSO on also on your breast diameter, waist, shoulder, and skin envelope measurements. These can only be assessed in person during a consultation. A good place to start is using my "Find your perfect size" tool listed in the left hand column of my bodysculptor.com home page. Another good place to look is the searchable database section of the physicians' photos on implantinfo.com. Best of luck.

Depends on frame and tissue

+1

Hi,

It is difficult to say exactly how many cc's you would need to achieve a certain size without examining you. It all depends on your breast tissue and frame dimensions.

Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss this as well as any other questions you may have.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Breast implants and cup sizes

+1

Hi, everyone's already said this, but I'll say it again just to send the message home: as surgeons we cannot give a number of cc's to get you to a specific breast size. It depends on how much breast tissue you're starting with, and the width of your breasts. In addition, my idea of a D/DD may be different from yours, and bra manufacturers do vary in their sizing. For that reason, it may be helpful for you to take in a picture of a size that you have in mind when you have your consultation. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS