Showering After Breast Augmentation?

My crease incision from breast augmentation will be closed with external nylon sutures. I have heard different stories as to the timing of suture removal, as well as showering. When can I shower if my incision is closed with nylon sutures?

Care After Augmentation

+1

The care is quite simple. One can shower within 24 hours. You can wear a bra for comfort. Since I don’t have skin sutures, we use Derma bond (skin glue) so that you can shower as there are no skin sutures that need to be removed and therefore do not leave any suture tracks. It is quite streamlined. One can resume most activities in 7-10 days.

Can I get my stitches wet

+1

It generally takes an incision 24 hours to heal.  We usually recommend waiting to shower for at least 48 to 72 hours just to play it safe.  However, it is always best to follow your surgeon's recommendation.  Your surgeon will be aware of the type of skin closure, and will be the best to answer your questions.

Michael Vincent, MD, FACS

Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Managemetn of stitches for breast implant augmetnation

+1

I would adhere to your surgeons recommendations since they use the suture technique routinely and will have to deal with a wound complication such it occur 

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Breast augmentation

+1

Showering following any surgery is best left to the discretion of the surgeon performing the surgery.  Only they are familiar with you and your surgery.  I would ask him/her.  In general, the body seals itself after a few hours, so, theoretically, it can get wet.

Typically you can shower by 48hrs

+1

The reason behind not getting your incision wet immediately after surgery is to help avoid infection. Your skin is the best barrier to infection. Obviously with any incision your skin is opened and is the source for infection. It takes about 24-48hrs for your incision to become sealed enough where it will be water tight. The dressings put on at the time of surgery are sterile and keep the area protected until your skin can be the barrier again. So, most would be OK with you taking a shower and getting your incision wet by 48hrs. Discuss your concern with your surgeon and be sure to follow their advice. You also mentioned Nylon sutures. Most surgeons do not use outside or visible sutures to close the crease incision. Discuss your options with your surgeon and make sure they are board certified in plastic surgery.

Showering and sutures after breast augmentation

+1

Patients may shower 24 hours post operatively with care. Sutures are removed at your one week follow up visit, typically 7 days but no earlier.

Lexington Plastic Surgeon

Depends on your plastic surgeon

+1

As I have mentioned in other posts I close my incisions with internal dissolving sutures and I allow my patients to shower after I see them on the morning after surgery. I do ask my patients to not immerse their breast incisions for 4 weeks after surgery (bath tub, jacuzzi, spa, pool, lake, etc.) Talk with you plastic surgeon abouth their specific recommendations. Take care.

Dr Edwards

Web reference: http://medwardsmd.com/plasticsurgery_questions1.html

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.