Breast Implant Cost Second Time - Price of Going Bigger

I have already had Breast Implants and I'm thinking about going bigger. It has almost been a year since I had it done. I wondered if it is less expensive, since all the Dr. would do is take out old Implants and put/slip in bigger implants?

Breast Implant Revision: Going back for seconds.

+3

Revision breast augmentation or secondary breast enhancement is commonly done to increase or decrease size. One year from your initial operation is early, though the operation should be easy if you do not have a lot of scarring. The recovery will be straightforward and not like your first. I would discuss the cost of the procedure with your plastic surgeon. It is commonly cheaper, but you will be responsible for the ancillary costs including breast implants. Let me know if you have questions. Dr. Trussler 

​Costs and Going Bigger

+1

Great question! The answer is YES.

Having the procedure to enhance your breast size a second time, is not the same as the first. Specifically, it can mean you need potentially Less, but also potentially More work to achieve your desired look. It all boils down to your specific goals.

Our range depending on your specific needs would be around $3,000 - $5,500. It should absolutely be all-inclusive, and the most influential factors include,

• Is this an actual Plastic Surgeon performing the operation?
  • Is the plastic surgeon Fellowship Trained specifically in aesthetic plastic surgery?
  • Does the surgeon hold privileges at a local hospital, as a Plastic Surgeon?
  • Where will the surgery be performed? Hospital or certified outpatient surgery center?
  • What type of anesthesia will be used? General versus local anesthesia?
  • Implant type and changes needed? Silicone vs Saline.

Choose your surgeon based NOT only on price, but whether you feel he would truly walk you thru the process and can achieve your NEW aesthetic goals!

You should also keep in mind that your choice of plastic surgery practice and surgeon, should also be a long-term choice. Chances are that you may want further services for yourself, family, and friends and want to establish a place where you become a member of the family. So be sure you love the staff, and the overall feel of the office. This should be a long-term investment in your future.

Carlos O. Chacon, MD, MBA

Implant Costs

+1

Revision surgery is commonly done to increase or decrease size.  There are generally cost savings in terms of reduced anesthesia time and operating room costs that are passed on to the patient if the implants are intact and in good shape.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation Revision Costs?

+1

I think if you are able to communicate your concerns and goals with your plastic surgeon in a calm, non-accusatory fashion  you will most likely have a positive experience.  Most successful plastic surgeons try very hard to keep their patients happy; it is likely that your surgeon  will do everything he/she can, including  discounting surgeon's fee, to make this happen.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes.

Going bigger after breast augmentation

+1

Choosing to "go bigger" after a successful breast augmentation is a similar elective cosmetic procedure choice like choosing to do it the first time and requires a careful consultation to review the choices, issues, and risks just as for the first procedure. If it is a simple exchange of implants through an existing inframammary crease incision to a different type or size (within limits as for first procedures) then I call this a re-augmentation or replacement augmentation rather than a revision or "redo". The surgical procedure still has to be carried out properly under conditions essentially the same as the first procedure and costs for the facility, implants, and anesthesia would be similar to the original procedure. The surgery itself for re-augmentation (not revision or redo) is indeed less involved if the exact size and type of the existing implant is known and the position of the implant doesn't need adjusting. The recovery is also easier and more like the second week after the original augmentation.

I charge my patients where I did the original breast augmentation half of the original surgical fee but differently for patients where I didn't do the original surgery or for revisions or redo's. Other surgeons would have different policies on that. Usually three months is the earliest to consider such a procedure but it can be done anytime beyond that. I don't see many patients choosing this option in the early years after the procedure because of a careful discussion of what size we expected to end up with after the first procedure such that the patient is not surprised or disappointed by the original result. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Redo augmentation

+1

Each surgeon is a bit different in how he handles a redo to go larger.  Certainly a facility fee and implants would be the minimum. AS for the surgical fee it depends upon how soon after your previous surgery it was. At one year a reduced fee is reasoable.

Cost of replacement of implants

+1

Yes it does seem easy to replace an implant, however there are often more details and often the cost associated are similar to the cost of the original procedure.  If you see the original PS, often a discount is given.  Understand that there are still a lot of fixed cost in this procedure (ie. implants, anesthesia, and facility fees).

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

It may be less expensive

+1

Typically if a patient of mine decides she wants to have larger implants I reduces the surgeons fee for the second procedure.  There are still the costs of the operating room and the implants themselves as well as anesthesia. As Dr Whitt said there may be more to do in some occassions rather than just exchange implants i.e. pocket adjustment.

Talk all this over with your surgeon pre operatively.

Hope this helps,

Dr T

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

Secondary Breast Augmentation

+1

Exchanging breast implants for larger implants is usually simpler than the original surgery unless there are other problems (bottoming out, malposition, etc.).  It is not, however, a matter of simply removing and replacing since the pocket will need to be enlarged.  This is a matter which should be discussed at the time of the initial consultation ideally.

John Whitt, MD

Breast Augmentation

+1

Typically you will be paying for a new procedure unless there are circumstances involved whch you don't mention.  It's not as simple as slipping in a larger set of implants and may involve extra time.

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon