Flying After Breast Implants Revision

How long until I can take a 2 1/2 hour flight after breast augmentation revision? I am traveling to Florida to have my breasts re-done and wondering when it is safe for me to take the 2 1/2 hour flight back home.

Flying after breast augmentation surgery

+1
I often have patients fly in for surgery. It is important to have observation for at least 24 hours, so my patients stay in my facility overnight with round the clock medical observation.  After 48 hours, patients are generally fine to travel home. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Flying after surgery.

+1
 It is recommended that you discuss your travel plans with your surgeon. Each surgeon has a different set of rules by which they recommend their postoperative patients follow. I often recommend that my patients stay one week following surgery so that we can observe the postoperative course. In this way any sort of infections (which are rare), wound issues or concerns with the patient in the early postoperative period can be addressed.   In my estimation the first seven days of the most critical in the recovery.

Christopher Khorsandi, MD

Flying After Breast Implants Revision

+1
You can safely fly a few days after surgery. The main concern after surgery is the possibility of a blood clot from prolonged immobility. Make sure you move around and don't stay in one position on a long flight.  

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Flying Following Breast Implants: The Dos & Donts

+1

Travel of any type following cosmetic breast surgery can potentially complicate the post-operative course. In most cases, patients have recovered sufficiently to travel in about two weeks following surgery.

Air travel often involves prolonged periods of immobilization and because of this, patients may be at risk for the development of blood clots in their extremities. These blood clots known as DVT’s can potentially represent a life threatening phenomenon when they occur.

There are several risk factors associated with the development of DVT’s. These include the length of the procedure, use of hormonal replacements or birth control pills, cigarette smoking, obesity, a history of cancer, family history of hypercoagubility, advanced age and a previous history of blood clots. When travel is necessary following cosmetic surgery, every step should be taken to avoid this potential complication. Patients should use anti embolic compression stockings, maintain hydration, and ambulate frequently when traveling. In patients who have multiple risk factors, anticoagulants such as Lovenox may be necessary.

If you have plans for travel in the immediate post-operative period, make sure you discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon. It’s important to remember that every patient’s situation is unique. For this reason, treatment needs to be individualized for each patient. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Flying after Breast Revision Surgery

+1
I think it would be safe for you to fly 2.5 hours within two days after your surgery.  The main concern would be clot formation in the veins of your legs. I would recommend you get up and walk around every 30-45 minutes during the flight.  As a retired flight surgeon for the U.S.military, I will share with you that commercial airlines have pressurized cabins which will have no affect on your breast implants.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Safety after breast implant surgery for out of town patients flying into Los Angeles

+1
We see many patients from different parts of the country. Once the first visit is complete and the wounds are healing well, usually 3 to 4 days, it is safe to return home. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

How Long Before You Can Fly (Travel) After Cosmetic Breast Surgery

+1

I ask my patients to heal for about a week before air travel.  Although aircraft are pressurized, travel requires the movement of luggage, cramped quarters, the risk of being bumped, etc.  Removing sutures and good post-surgical follow-up is also offered the first week, giving the patient important care to achieve good results.

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Flying after breast implants revision

+1

We see many patients from out of town, and indeed, the country.  Our office usually requests that the patient stay in town for a week, and that we see them before they leave.  Please communicate with your plastic surgeon as your case may have different needs.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Flying After Breast Aumentation/Implant Exchange/ and Breast Revision

+1

Every surgeon has there own feelings about how long they want you to stay in town following your procedure - so best to discuss with your surgeon.

For a straight forward breat augmentation I like to see my patients the following week and if all looks OK allow them to fly home. A revision however maybe more complex and this would depend on the extent of surgery

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Flying After Breast Implants Revision

+1

Communication with your surgeon is key for out of town surgery.  We work with a large number of out of state patients, and always stress the importance of communication. During the consultation process, let your surgeon know your thoughts and he can advise you if the travel schedule makes sense for you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS