Flying After Breast Implants Revision

How long until I can take a 2 1/2 hour flight after breast augmentation revision? I am traveling to Florida to have my breasts re-done and wondering when it is safe for me to take the 2 1/2 hour flight back home.

Flying Following Breast Implants: The Dos & Donts

+1

Travel of any type following cosmetic breast surgery can potentially complicate the post-operative course. In most cases, patients have recovered sufficiently to travel in about two weeks following surgery.

Air travel often involves prolonged periods of immobilization and because of this, patients may be at risk for the development of blood clots in their extremities. These blood clots known as DVT’s can potentially represent a life threatening phenomenon when they occur.

There are several risk factors associated with the development of DVT’s. These include the length of the procedure, use of hormonal replacements or birth control pills, cigarette smoking, obesity, a history of cancer, family history of hypercoagubility, advanced age and a previous history of blood clots. When travel is necessary following cosmetic surgery, every step should be taken to avoid this potential complication. Patients should use anti embolic compression stockings, maintain hydration, and ambulate frequently when traveling. In patients who have multiple risk factors, anticoagulants such as Lovenox may be necessary.

If you have plans for travel in the immediate post-operative period, make sure you discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon. It’s important to remember that every patient’s situation is unique. For this reason, treatment needs to be individualized for each patient. 

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Flying after Breast Revision Surgery

+1
I think it would be safe for you to fly 2.5 hours within two days after your surgery.  The main concern would be clot formation in the veins of your legs. I would recommend you get up and walk around every 30-45 minutes during the flight.  As a retired flight surgeon for the U.S.military, I will share with you that commercial airlines have pressurized cabins which will have no affect on your breast implants.
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Safety after breast implant surgery for out of town patients flying into Los Angeles

+1
We see many patients from different parts of the country. Once the first visit is complete and the wounds are healing well, usually 3 to 4 days, it is safe to return home. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Web reference: http://karemd.com/plastic-surgery/36/breast-implant-revision.aspx

How Long Before You Can Fly (Travel) After Cosmetic Breast Surgery

+1

I ask my patients to heal for about a week before air travel.  Although aircraft are pressurized, travel requires the movement of luggage, cramped quarters, the risk of being bumped, etc.  Removing sutures and good post-surgical follow-up is also offered the first week, giving the patient important care to achieve good results.

Flying after breast implants revision

+1

We see many patients from out of town, and indeed, the country.  Our office usually requests that the patient stay in town for a week, and that we see them before they leave.  Please communicate with your plastic surgeon as your case may have different needs.

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/before-after/category/revisions

Flying After Breast Aumentation/Implant Exchange/ and Breast Revision

+1

Every surgeon has there own feelings about how long they want you to stay in town following your procedure - so best to discuss with your surgeon.

For a straight forward breat augmentation I like to see my patients the following week and if all looks OK allow them to fly home. A revision however maybe more complex and this would depend on the extent of surgery

Web reference: http://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/procedures/breast/implant-exchange/

Flying After Breast Implants Revision

+1

Communication with your surgeon is key for out of town surgery.  We work with a large number of out of state patients, and always stress the importance of communication. During the consultation process, let your surgeon know your thoughts and he can advise you if the travel schedule makes sense for you.

Flying after surgery

+1

There is no straight forward answer for when to fly after surgery. Discuss this with your surgeon and see what he/she recommends.  I work with many out of town patients and I am fine with them traveling soon after their surgery as long as they are not lifting anything heavy, staying hydrated, etc.  The most important thing is to make sure you recover nicely and not have complications.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastrevision.htm

Flying after Breast Surgery

+1

You should absolutely check with your plastic surgeon regarding this issue.  Typically, I advise my patients not to fly or travel for at least one week following surgery.  

Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Revision - Flying Afterwards

+1

Hi cupcake26,

There's no absolute answer to this and you should, of course, check with your own plastic surgeon about this.

I usually recommend that, after breast implants (it's different for other procedures) the patient stay in town for about a week or so.  First of all, it is important not to do anything that can increase the risk of bleeding.  Post-operative bleeding is a particular concern for this procedure, and anything that increases the pulse or heart rate, such as lifting, moving, running, bending over, etc., increases the risk that you will have bleeding.  You've gone through all this to have the surgery, why would you jeopardize it by moving around (of any kind) too soon?

Next, if this is a revision then it may (or may not) be even more complicated than putting in implants the firs time.  Are you having drains?  Sutures placed on the inside?  Scar tissue removed?  The more you've having done, the more important it is that you stay still and remain calm post-op (that's not the same as just lying in bed - that would be dangerous and we strongly advise against that.  In fact, you need to get up and walk around every few hours so you are less likely to develop a blood clot).

Finally, you should ask your surgeon if he or she knows anyone (a plastic surgeon, that is) back home, just in case there is a problem at some point in the future.  Bleeding post-op is unusual after about 48-72 hours, but it can occur at any time - including several years later - and it's not a bad idea just to have a back-up plan in reserve.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E