Flying After Breast Implants Revision

How long until I can take a 2 1/2 hour flight after breast augmentation revision? I am traveling to Florida to have my breasts re-done and wondering when it is safe for me to take the 2 1/2 hour flight back home.

Flying After Breast Implants Revision

Hello!  Thank you for your question.  Our practice has patients travel from afar. Opinions on travel following a surgical procedure will differ amongst surgeons, and is best to discuss this with your surgeon. In our practice, we ask that you plan to stay for 2-3 days to observe and evaluate the surgical areas as well as your readiness for travel. Depending on which procedure you have, up to a week may be necessary. For your procedure, a couple days would be adequate.

Ensuring adequate oral intake and mobility is a must and proper postoperative care of the surgical sites and incisions is prudent.  An evaluation postoperatively as well as prior to departure is usually done to make sure that all is well for your travel back. Hope that this helps!  Best wishes!

Flying home after breast revision.

You should ask your surgeon for advice as some revisions are very simple and others are more complex and could have a higher increase risk for bleeding or more pain following surgery. You might also have drains, sutures, or dressings that might need early follow up.
Have a back up plan if you are not ready to leave as scheduled, have someone help with bags and transportation, and also pick out a local surgeon who can help you with emergencies should something happen after you are home. Your flight is relatively short, but those with long travel times need to be careful of developing blood clots and could consider a medication decrease risk.
Sometimes when you change altitude you may notice a squeaky sensation around your implants. It can feel weird and cause unnecessary alarm if you are not expecting it.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Travelling after breast revision surgery

Although I would defer to your plastic surgeon's judgement regarding this question I would imagine that if your operation goes smoothly and you are doing well 1 week after your operation that you would be able to travel safely. 

Rachel Streu, MD

Breast Implant Revision Surgery - How Soon After Can I Fly 2-1/2 Hours?

Each Board Certified plastic surgeon has his or her own protocol concerning the above question.  In Hawaii, flying from island to island is as common as driving one's car home.  These short inter-island trips can be made the day after surgery. 

With specific reference to implant revisionary surgery, I personally leave breast drains in for 3 days to decrease the amount of blood around the implants.  I believe the #1 way to get hard breasts is to have blood around an implant, and revisionary surgery usually involves a capsulectomy which leads to a great deal of post operative oozing which subsides in about 3 days.

With reference to longer trips after surgery, my post surgical protocol includes not crossing one's legs or feet during the flight because this can increase the chance of clot formation.  Getting up and walking around the cabin every couple hours is another good way of protecting one's self from post operative intervascular clot formation.  Lastly, because everyone on a plane whether recently post op or not swells, I have my patients take a 20 mg prednisone tablet on takeoff and a second prednisone tablet on landing. 

Flying After Breast Implant Revision

My advice is to wait 3-4 days after your surgery in order to rule out the possibility of a hematoma. Best of luck.

Robert M. Kachenmeister, MD

Many of our patients fly in to see us. Depending on the complexity and length of the surgery, your surgeon may want you on a blood thinner when you fly home. Ask your surgeon if you should be on Lovenox for the trip home. 

Reduced risk after 2 weeks

I typically ask all of my patients to refrain from flying for 2 weeks after surgery, to minimize the risk of deep venous thrombosis in the legs.

Breast Augmentation Revision Recovery and Flying

Because a bleed into the pocket can occur within that first week, which is surgical emergency, I ask my revision breast augmentation patients to stay locally for seven days. 

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Flight time postop

You should generally be careful after surgery but flying home after one to two days is fine. Your follow up visit after surgery is usually the next day and after that returning home is appropriate

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Flying after breast augmentation surgery

I often have patients fly in for surgery. It is important to have observation for at least 24 hours, so my patients stay in my facility overnight with round the clock medical observation.  After 48 hours, patients are generally fine to travel home. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon