Flying After Breast Implants Revision

How long until I can take a 2 1/2 hour flight after breast augmentation revision? I am traveling to Florida to have my breasts re-done and wondering when it is safe for me to take the 2 1/2 hour flight back home.

Flying After Breast Implants Revision

+2
Hello!  Thank you for your question.  Our practice has patients travel from afar. Opinions on travel following a surgical procedure will differ amongst surgeons, and is best to discuss this with your surgeon. In our practice, we ask that you plan to stay for 2-3 days to observe and evaluate the surgical areas as well as your readiness for travel. Depending on which procedure you have, up to a week may be necessary. For your procedure, a couple days would be adequate.

Ensuring adequate oral intake and mobility is a must and proper postoperative care of the surgical sites and incisions is prudent.  An evaluation postoperatively as well as prior to departure is usually done to make sure that all is well for your travel back. Hope that this helps!  Best wishes!

Flying

+1
Many of our patients fly in to see us. Depending on the complexity and length of the surgery, your surgeon may want you on a blood thinner when you fly home. Ask your surgeon if you should be on Lovenox for the trip home. 

Lawrence Scott Ennis, MD, FACS
Pensacola Plastic Surgeon

Reduced risk after 2 weeks

+1
I typically ask all of my patients to refrain from flying for 2 weeks after surgery, to minimize the risk of deep venous thrombosis in the legs.

Gary Lawton, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Revision Recovery and Flying

+1
Because a bleed into the pocket can occur within that first week, which is surgical emergency, I ask my revision breast augmentation patients to stay locally for seven days. 

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Flight time postop

+1
You should generally be careful after surgery but flying home after one to two days is fine. Your follow up visit after surgery is usually the next day and after that returning home is appropriate

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Flying after breast augmentation surgery

+1
I often have patients fly in for surgery. It is important to have observation for at least 24 hours, so my patients stay in my facility overnight with round the clock medical observation.  After 48 hours, patients are generally fine to travel home. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Flying after surgery.

+1
 It is recommended that you discuss your travel plans with your surgeon. Each surgeon has a different set of rules by which they recommend their postoperative patients follow. I often recommend that my patients stay one week following surgery so that we can observe the postoperative course. In this way any sort of infections (which are rare), wound issues or concerns with the patient in the early postoperative period can be addressed.   In my estimation the first seven days of the most critical in the recovery.

Christopher Khorsandi, MD

Flying After Breast Implants Revision

+1
You can safely fly a few days after surgery. The main concern after surgery is the possibility of a blood clot from prolonged immobility. Make sure you move around and don't stay in one position on a long flight.  

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Flying Following Breast Implants: The Dos & Donts

+1

Travel of any type following cosmetic breast surgery can potentially complicate the post-operative course. In most cases, patients have recovered sufficiently to travel in about two weeks following surgery.

Air travel often involves prolonged periods of immobilization and because of this, patients may be at risk for the development of blood clots in their extremities. These blood clots known as DVT’s can potentially represent a life threatening phenomenon when they occur.

There are several risk factors associated with the development of DVT’s. These include the length of the procedure, use of hormonal replacements or birth control pills, cigarette smoking, obesity, a history of cancer, family history of hypercoagubility, advanced age and a previous history of blood clots. When travel is necessary following cosmetic surgery, every step should be taken to avoid this potential complication. Patients should use anti embolic compression stockings, maintain hydration, and ambulate frequently when traveling. In patients who have multiple risk factors, anticoagulants such as Lovenox may be necessary.

If you have plans for travel in the immediate post-operative period, make sure you discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon. It’s important to remember that every patient’s situation is unique. For this reason, treatment needs to be individualized for each patient. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Flying after Breast Revision Surgery

+1
I think it would be safe for you to fly 2.5 hours within two days after your surgery.  The main concern would be clot formation in the veins of your legs. I would recommend you get up and walk around every 30-45 minutes during the flight.  As a retired flight surgeon for the U.S.military, I will share with you that commercial airlines have pressurized cabins which will have no affect on your breast implants.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon