Is It More Beneficial to Sleep on One's Back After Botox Treatment?

Sleeping on back after botox

+1
I usually recommend that when you're sleeping, it's better to sleep on your back and keep your head elevated with several pillows to help diminish the swelling. 

Should I sleep on my back after Botox?

+1

Since we don't know of any studies that have been undertaken on this subject, it's safe to say that there is no right or wrong answer on this one.  As long as you are not lying down immediately after treatment (give it a few hours) you should be fine laying on your back or stomach. 

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

How to sleep after Botox

+1

How you sleep the night of your Botox treatment makes no difference whatsoever. I would only advise you not to lie down for one hour after the Botox injections. After one hour, you can do whatever you want.

Todd Minars, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Don't lie on your stomach for 4 hours after your BOTOX treatment.

+1

After a BOTOX treatment, I advise patients not to lie on their bellies for 4 hours. That's the only restriction I suggest. This is to prevent touching or rubbing your face, and possibly moving the BOTOX into an unfavorable location.

Enjoy your BOTOX, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Instructions after Botox

+1

Following facial injections with Botox or Dysport, it should be absolutely fine to sleep anyway you prefer. Just don't get a facial, microderm, or wax the treated area for 24 hours after injections, and you should be fine. If you receive injections for sweat reduction (for example in the underarm area), the same advice applies: sleep anyway you prefer.

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sleep well, and forget about what it might do to the BOTOX

+1

Dear Susue

There isn't a scrap of evidence that sleep position has anything to do with the effectiveness of a BOTOX treatment. So don't lose any sleep over this. Sure, the fashion magazine will tell you to sleep on the back and there is something to so called "pillow lines." However, it is also very difficult to change one's sleep habits. So don't let anyone make you feel bad because you sleep on your side and not your back.

Probably not

+1

I don't think anyone has ever shown in a convincing way that it makes a difference. Relax and enjoy the effect of your botulinum treatment.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Botox Treatment and Sleeping Position

+1

Hi Susie,

As you know, we all look a little better on our back with our face looking up. Conversely, gravity's effects are magnified when we are facing downward (just ask any actress or actor, or woman for that matter).

I do not believe that how you sleep will effect your Botox treatment, but we do tell patients not to lay down for at least 3 hours after Botox injections to minimize the chance of migration of Botox to the upper eye lid muscles which would result in difficulty opening the eye lid.

Be well, and pleasant dreams.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Sleep position after Botox injections

+1

Interesting question.  Although I am skeptical that any particular body position significantly affects Botox effects or longevity following injection, I do not believe anyone really knows the answer to your question.  I would not spend too much time or energy worrying about it.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Yes

+1

I feel it is beneficial to sleep on the back anyway. People live longer and wrinkle less.

However, I do not feel that this should be part of any particular post BOTOX regimen. By the time you are ready for sleep, the BOTOX should pretty much have settled in where it was intended to go.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist