Will Botox Produce Effective Results on a 55-year-old Woman?

I am 55 years old. I have never had any cosmetic procedures. I would like to remove the frown lines between my eyes as well as wrinkles under the eyes and also would like to know if Botox is effective on frown lines?

Fortunately your at a prime age for botox...

+1

botox is a perfect introduction into the cosmetic world...and basically your specific needs mesh nicely with what botox provides...botox works best between the eyes, in the forehead and in the crow's feet...by frown lines - if you mean around your chin and lips...you're straying from areas where you'll get a wonderful result...

congratulations on choosing botox to help improve your appearance...great choice

Age Not The Indicator by Villar

+1

Age is not the indicator for Botox.  The degree and type of wrinkles are.  Fine pliable wrinkles across the axis of contraction in the forehead, glabellar area, and crows feet are good indications. Very deep etched wrinkles in these same areas are more of an indication for a phenol peel as long as the entire face is treated as a unit. There are leathery 40 yr. olds beyond Botox and soft silky 80 yr. olds perfect for Botox.  An experienced surgeon should be able to determine what is best for you with a hands on examination. Best wishes.  Knowledge is power.  Luis F. Villar MD FACS

Luis Villar, MD

There is no upper age limit for Botox treatment.

+1

Botox is an excellent treatment for the frown lines.  There is no upper age limit to have Botox treatment if an individual is healthy and cares about her appearance.  If your frown lines are deep, Botox is used to relax the muscle movement and then a small amount of filler can be used to plump up the lines.  Please consult an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon for advice.  The wrinkles under your eyes may be better treated by lasers.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox will help!

+1

Botox is highly effective at reducing the frown lines between the eyes, known as the glabella area.  Botox also works extremely well at minimizing the crow's feet, which are the wrinkles on the side of the eyes.  Botox is not meant for the wrinkles under the eyes or the frown lines.

Frown lines - or smile lines- are best reduced by a filler such as Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane, or Sculptra.  

Wrinkles under the eyes- best reduced by a combination of filler such as Restylane and Fraxel Laser to smooth out the surface of the undereye area skin.

Michele S. Green, MD

Botox can help

+1

Botox can certainly help reduce the frown lines between the eyebrows, despite someone’s age. It is not used to treat all the lines underneath the eyelids as that can cause a sagging down of the eyelid margin which might allow for some dryness of the eyes. A small dose can be used right under the lower eyelids if someone has a bulging eyelid muscle causing a “roll”. Skin lines of the lower eyelid are better treated by laser such as Fraxel.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Yes, Botox will produce an effective result

+1

Usually, Botox, by relaxing the muscles, will give you a good result. However, it will not remove any lines.

To improve actual lines you will probably have to combine Botox with a filler or do a resurfacing procedure after Botox.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for 55-year-old woman

+1

Botox can absolutely produce results on a 55-year-old woman Depending on the severity of wrinkles, the Botox may be combined with another filler for best results.

Arnold W. Klein, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Removing lines

+1

It sounds like you have not had any cosmetic procedures and if that is the case, it is important for you to understand, regardless, of what is promised, that Botox does not "remove" frown lines or wrinkles. Botox will minimize the appearance of lines and wrinkles by temporarily "paralyzing" the muscles that account for the accentuation of those wrinkles and lines.

So, two quick answers:

1. No, Botox does not "remove" frown lines and wrinkles. Nothing is permanent and nothing is removed.

2. Yes, Botox does work to temporarily reduce the appearance of frown lines and wrinkles.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Yes it is

+1

The glabellar lines or the lines between the eyes are best treated by Botox. In addition Botox in this area does not affect the brows too much. As opposed to permanent treatment of this area by dividing the corregator muscles which allows the medial brows to migrate laterally.

Botox of lines under the lateral part of the eye in a woman of 55 years is well treated by Botox. The only area that is of concern is the lateral forehead. I do not Botox this area as it will cause the brow to droop. Instead I inject under the lateral brow which allows it to elevate. This gives the appearance of a brow lift. The rest of the forehead is okay as long as there isn't too much medial or central brow droop.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Botox and frown lines

+1

Botox is a great product for frown line. It is not a good product for lines underneath the eyes. This is most likely due to loose skin and a blepharoplasty probably would be better. As a 55 year old, I will tell you that Botox can help your frown lines. For most people it will do the job well. If you have very deep lines, and a drooping brow, you may be better off with a browlift. It is hard to tell without examining you.