What Are the Post Treatment Instructions After Botox?

Pretty easy

Botox is a very easy procedure to recover from.  I tell my patients not to rub their face or lay down for the next 2-3 hours.  I think ice is ok intermittently for the rest of the day as long as no rubbing.  I also advise no blood thinners for 24 hours.  

Another thing that often is not mentioned is head apparel.  Women should not wear a head band or anything else that might put pressure across the brow.  Men should also not wear a hat as it can be compressing.  Compression could cause migration of the botox downwards into the eyelids and lead to droopy eyelids.  

Hope this helps!

After Botox

One of the beauties of Botox is there are few restrictions after treatment. I advise my patients not to lie down until two hours after receiving Botox, and not to immediately massage the area where Botox was injected. It is truly a no down-time procedure.

Melda A. Isaac, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

Post treatment for Botox

Great Question. I always suggest to my patients that they do not lay down for 4 hours following the treatment, and to avoid exercising for the rest of the day. I also encourage my patients to avoid any type of aspirin products for up to one week PRIOR to the procedure and for a couple day after as well ( this helps to decreasing any excess bleeding). The timeline of how long it takes for Botox takes full effect also varies on the individual, but most of the time you can get full results within 7 days. 

After Botox Instructions

To avoid moving the product into an undesired area:
1) do not rub or massage treated areas for 24 hours

To avoid increasing your very small risk of bruising:
1) avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, and alcohol for 24 hours
2) avoid heat and heavy exercise for 24 hours

Botox post-injection instruction

I normally tell my patients to:
1)  Avoid alcohol for a day
2)  Avoid strenuous activity for a day
3)  Avoid blood thinning medications if possible for a day

If you do bruise, I would continue to avoid the above until you no longer feel the bruise is getting worse.

I also tell my patients to avoid blood thinning medications if possible for a week before the treatment.

Instructions After Botox

We normally advise patients not to lay down for 4 hours after treatment (no bending forward either), no vigorous activity/exercise for 12 hours, and no rubbing, massaging or pressure on the treated areas for the first day. By following these rules, patients can help prevent the product from migrating outside of the injected area.

Rules and Instructions after Botox (or Dysport) Treatment

The Rules after Botox:
  1. No massaging or manipulating the area directly and no facials or lying face down on a massage table for at least one week.
  2. No lying down flat for four hours.
  3. No exercise at all the same day after treatment.
  4. No aggressive exercise for 24 hours.
  5. Ideally no flying on a plane within 24 hours.
  6. Call immediately if you are worried about anything. Don't hesitate.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

I tell my patients that I would like the BOTOX to stay in the area where it is meant to stay and to avoid all activities that can force Botox to migrate from the area and decrease the effect. Botox is attached to the receptors by 24 hours.
So the post botox instructions are
1. Do not rub the area, lie on the area ( face down) for 24 hours.
2. No strenuous activity or saunas for 24 hours.

Post treatment instructions after Botox

Post treatment instructions after  Botox Injections include not massaging the area and not laying flat for the first 4 hours after the procedure. Make-up can be applied immediately after the procedure to camouflage any swelling or bruising that  is present.

Lots of recommendations...all vary...none really important...

each doctor has his/her own specific instruction...and none are the same...and all of the outcomes are basically the same...once the botox has been injected...correctly...then you can pretty much do what you want...in general not a bad idea to wait a few moments before you lie down or wear a hat over the treated area, but aside from that...relax...the botox very rapidly gets into the tissues...and as a result all of the advice is just left over from whoever trained your doctor...we've learned a lot over the past many years...and now we know by the time you get home or to the gym...you're okay...

Ken Landow, MD