Can You Botox Lips to Get a Plumper Lip?

Is Botox ok for lip plumping? I want fuller lips and I've heard the most about Botox.

Botox offers mild "plumping" of lips, but fillers are better

+3

Botox does indeed give a MILD plumping effect , (due to relaxation of the "edge" of the muscle), when administered close to the lip, BUT side-effects such as difficulty saying the letters "p" and "b", and sipping through a straw, etc., can occur. For real lip volume improvement, fillers work very well..

Crestone Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Fillers are different types of injectable treatments

+3

Most people speak of “injectables” as non-surgical options for facial enhancement, but many misunderstand that there are many different types of ”injectables”, and that different materials serve different functions.
Botox is a chemical that causes paralysis of muscles when injected into the tissue in small amounts. The advantage of this is in preventing specific localized muscles from contracting in ways that cause wrinkles and lines. Additionally, some advanced techniques using Botox can provide elevation of the eyebrow by preventing certain muscles from pulling the brow down, or even widening of the eye by preventing muscles from tightening around the eye. Another advanced technique for Botox involves injections of small amounts around the lips, to prevent the vertical lines and wrinkles often seen with age- and smoking. This type of injection can also, in SOME people, allow a LITTLE widening of the lip. This only works in patients who have overactive muscles around their lips that cause constriction of the red portion of the lips. Botox, though, is NOT a first choice injectable for plumping anything- including the lips.
Plumping of tissue including the lips is performed by using an injectable filler. This is a material that, usually temporarily, will stay in the spot where it is injected as a space occupier and a “filler” of deflated tissue. There are many types of such filler injectables, and each has unique properties of swelling, duration, and areas where they may be more or less useful. These injectable fillers include Restylane, Juviderm, Radiesse, Evolence…. the list goes on. For plumping of the lips, one of these types of injectables may be more appropriate for you than Botox. What is important for you is to find someone who is familiar with a large array of different fillers that can provide you with a particular treatment to achieve your individual goals.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Can I Use Botox to Plump My Lips?

+2

Hi,

Botox is great for a lot of areas on the face but lip plumping is not one of them.  In fact, if you use a small amount of Botox to the corners of the nose in an advanced technique to decrease the amount of gumline when you smile you will actually thin out your upper lip as a consequence.  Botox to the angle of the chin can perk up the edges of your smile but in no way can it make your lips bigger.  Your best bet is to use a tried and true filler like Juvederm or Restylane.

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox lip injection - Off label uses

+2

Be cautious when a provider is suggesting a non-FDA approved use of a medication. Botox is not approved for improving the look or shape of the lips.

Botox can be used to change the balance in the orbicularis oris muscle (one of the muscles that helps you pucker) and this can create a slightly improved fullness. This however comes at some risk to more dramatic muscle paralysis and typically Botox would not be the first choice and certainly will only produce minimal results before it reaches a level where it will cause problems.

That being said other dermal fillers aren't FDA approved for this either (Juvederm, Restylane) however the mechanics of this application at least makes some sense (provide a space occupying substance to improve the fullness of the lips).

Be sure to discuss your concerns with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Botox for Vertical Lip Lines: Options for Lip Augmentation performed with facial fillers

+2

The lips can age drastically with time. The two most significant problems with the lips include a loss of volume and vertical lip lines with puckering or at rest. Facial fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane are safe to use on the lips to restore volume. Botox, on the other hand, will not restore volume but will reduce the vertical lines with puckering.

Always contact an experienced surgeon for these options. Technique is extremely important.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Botox does NOT plump lips

+2

Holly, Botox is good for smoothing out dynamic wrinkles. Botox does not plump lips. For lip plumping, you need an injectable like Restylane or Juvederm or Fat Grafting. Botox is most useful for smoothing out wrinkles on the forehead, between the eyebrows and around the eyes. Dr. David Shafer, New York City

David Shafer, MD

Botox will relax lines, not plump the lips

+2

If you are interested in lip plumping, fillers are the best choice. My personal preference is Juvederm, but there are lots of options in experienced hands.

Botox can be used to relax lines around the lips, but it will not plump them up.

A combination of Botox and a filler can be used as well, but first have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and he or she will lay out several options for you.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Botox not really for plumper lips

+1
Botox is designed more for wrinkles, such as those you see at the corners of your eyes (crows feet) or between your eyebrows (glabellar lines). It can smooth away some wrinkles around your mouth, however it won't give you much of plumper lips. Lip augmentation is better performed with injectable fillers, such as Juvederm and Restylane. These products add volume to your lips, giving you more fullness.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Botox for lips versus Fillers

+1
Botox offers only a minimal of benefit when injected around the lips and runs the risk of drooping or not being to speak clearly.  I much prefer Restylane or Juvederm into the lips to get a plumper lip.  

Michele S. Green, MD

Botox for "plumping" lips

+1
I get great results with only 4 to 8 units of Botox placed just above and/or below the vermillion border of the lips to allow a gentle evertion (turning upward) of the lips and giving them a plumper look. The great thing about this is that it is simple, safe, inexpensive, and generally very natural in appearance. It helps the lip lines around the lips if you have any from smoking, sun exposure, or age, without giving you that Homer Simpson overhanging fat lip look that sometimes can occur when you inject the upper lip lines with filler, and can give mkre definition to the vermillion border and Cupid's bow.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD