What Can I Do to Get Rid of Scars from Permanent Lip Augmentation?

I have a scars around the border of my lips from a permanent lip aug. and my scars feel tight and firm. The scars act as a constant irritant to my lips. I know for a fact that I do not have hypertropic or keloid scarring. Could cortisone injections work and if used in very low doses, would it avoid atrophy???? Also, are there any lasers that would help my problem that I could try for tight, firm scars???? Can atrophy occur even very little is used into the lips???

Making Better Lip Augmentation Scars

+1
The problems that you describe from your lip augmentation procedure are occasionally a problem, and can be made better in a step-wise fashion.  First, I would see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon who performs lip augmentation their practice.  An initial treatment would be successive injections of steroid into the scarred areas separated by a month or two.  A dilute solution should minimize the problems of tissue thinning, but this is always a risk.  These injections should diminish the hardness, itching, and redness of the scars.  The fact that the scars are circular in nature, that is go around the border of the mouth, poses a problem in that they could recur.  I would also say that during this period of steroid injections that I would also try some topical silicone gel that is now available in a liquid form.  This can be found by performing a google search on the internet.  If the scars do flatten out and are more comfortable with these conservative treatments, any lingering redness can be treated with an IPL laser such as Fotofacial.
If these treatments provide little relief, I would suggest discussing excision of the scars with your doctor, with possibly very faintly making them a bit irregular (to break up their circular nature).  
Good luck.

Fixing Scars From Permanent Lip Augmentation

+1

Hi,

It sounds like you developed thickening of the skin that feels like scars from permanent lip injection.  I think your best bet is to see an experienced plastic surgeon who can evaluate in person the extent of your problem and see if cortisone or surgical excision of the permanent filler would better benefit you.  Lisa Rinna in People Magazine recently documented her experiences with removing her silicone in her lips and how she is very happy with her natural look.  If possible, try to contact the office that helped her and see if they can recommend you to a plastic surgeon in your area.

Best of Luck

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Correcting lip scars

+1

There are many options to correct scars around the lip. If these scars are hypertrophic and pigmented, you may consider a small excision of the scars and correction of defects. If the scars are depressed, it may just be served by filling the area with a dermal filler such as Juvederm or Restylane. Your best bet is to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon was a great deal of experience with lip surgery and scar revision.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Lip advancement scars of the upper lip can be a problem

+1

We rarely do upper lip advancement because of reports of tightness like you describe.  Lower lip advancement has less problems associated with it.  Time will usually resolve this tightness but if it does not then very conservative use of steroids may be indicated.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon