Can Fillers Take Care of Vertical Lips Lines?

Can fillers take care of vertical lips lines? And if so, what one would you suggest?

Vertical Lip Lines Can Be Treated by Multiple Methods

+3

Vertical lip lines can be treated with direct injection with collagen or HA (Restylane, Juvederm). This works best if there are just one or two lines per half lip segment. It is very much dependent upon the skill of the injector.

Hills and valleys can easily be created when trying to eradicate single lip lines. I like to treat the lip with multiple methods. I have a 1,2,3 approach:

1. Filler to fill both the red of the lips and the surrounding skin
  2. Botox to treat the dynamic (moving) muscle underneath the skin. Make sure your injector knows what he/she are doing here! Too much botox in the lips and you will have a difficult time drinking your soup!
  3. Laser skin resurfacing to build up collagen and tighten the surround skin. With this approach I have been able to create Sexy Paris Lips in Detroit, Michigan.

If you mention this blog you will save $100 per syringe of any filler through December 31, 2008.

Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fillers do work extremely well

+2

We used to use Collagen injections and still like it for very superficial lines. The disadvantage is that it lasts only 3-4 months. The advantage is that since 2/3 of it is water, it won't make it too large or bumpy. It also costs less. Since we do a large number of actresses who can't afford to have a bump on their face this is our choice for them.
For everyone else (who doesn't want resurfacing) we like Juviderm since it lasts up to a year, though it costs more.

Dermal fillers cannot completely take care of vertical lip lines

+2

Vertical lip lines are a result of repeated movement (eg. pursing of the lip during pronunciation of certain words like "ohhh", whistling, kissing, smoking etc.) and loss of elastic tissue from sun-damage that occurs over many years.

With skilled injections of fine fillers, these verticle lip lines can be improved. I usually prefer one of the collagen products for this area. Fine hyaluronic acid fillers can work well too but if placed too superficially can lead to a bluish tinge (tindle effect). Too much filler will make the entire upper cutaneous lip look full.

Combining filler with Botox of the upper lip can be very successfull if done properly. For longer term results, laser resurfacing of the vertical lip lines can achieve very dramatic results but must be done cautiously, especially if there is a lot of background photo-bronzing.

Felix Kuo, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Yes, fillers and other treatments combined do great

+1

You can fill in the creases with temporary fillers like collagen ($450/cc) or hyaluronic acid fillers like juvederm, restylane, elevess ($550/syringe) or you can put in a permanent implant in the vermillion border or ridge of the lip which is very natural looking and undetectable ($1500). That tends to be one of the best solutions long term.

You may also want to resurface the lips by dermabrasion, laser or chemical peels ($750-1000 roughly) or even inject botox ($300)

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon