Why Am I Being Asked if I Have Breast Implants Before an MRI?

I have breast implants from 9yrs ago and now have been told i cant have an MRI brain scan i am due until they can identify if they have a microchip in them or not. What are the implications if they do have?

Do you have tissue expanders?

It would be potentially disastrous if you do have tissue expanders which have metal in them. However, if you don't have tissue expanders then implants alone do not have metal.

MRI and implants

I am not aware of any metal in a breast implant - silicone or saline.  You may want to pull your operative report and talk to your board certified plastic surgeon to make sure.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

MRI and breast implants

MRI's work through the use of a very powerful magnet.  Anything metal (ferro-magnetic) inside your body can be affected by this, so MRI techs always ask patients whether they have any metal implants.  The magnetic field can pull on the device, or cause heating, neither of which are good.

Regular breast implants do not have any metal parts, but tissue expanders often do in their internal valve assembly... so it's a legitimate question.

Breast Augmentation, Breast Enlargement, Breast Implants

Breast implants do not contain metal or micro-chips.  The only concern would be a tissue expander that does have metal in the port.  If that is your case, then its true you should not have an MRI due to the metal that would be pulled out with the MRI.

Jay H. Ross, MD, FACS
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon