How Long Before the Lumpiness Behind the Scar Line Goes Down?

Hello, I had breast surgery 2 weeks ago and the scar line is very neat however it is very lumpy behind the scar inside the breast. Is this just internal stitches which will go down after they disolve? Thanks

Scar Tissue After Breast Augmentation

+2

You body heals with scar tissue and this is a normal phenomenon.  Initially the collagen (scar tissue) is brought into the area where you need to heal.  The body then strengthens it and realigns the fibers and finally the collagen is reorganized to form a flat, unnoticeable scar.  This process isn't fully complete for months up to a year. Two weeks is far too early to be concerned.

Patients can have a hypertrophic scar or keloid and these are "overgrown" scars that are thick or even larger than the original incision. If this is the case then you need to see your doctor soon as there are some interventions that should be started sooner than later.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

Lumpy bits beneath a scar in the early post op period

+2

You are feeling the deeper, absorbable sutures that are taking the tension off of the superficial part of your wound closure.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Breast Scar

+2

This is very normal. What you are feeling is probably the suture. This will flatten out over time as the suture dissolves.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Healing of breast scars

+2

It is normal to feel a healing ridge along the incision in the few weeks following surgery. If you feel lumps along this ridge it is most likely the individual sutures. Your body is just healing and it will soften up with time, and as the sutures dissolve.

Anita Patel, MD

Lumpiness beneath the scar

+1

Don't fret - feeling a ridge or firm area beneath the incision is very common in the early post-operative period.  This will go away over a few months.  I would also recommend massaging the area.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Incisions

+1

Being that you are only two weeks out from your surgery, I would give it a few months for things to settle down. The internal stitches take a while to dissolve and should get better in a few months.  If it is a problem then speak with your surgeon.