Recommend Taking Arnica Montana After Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation?

I am wondering if this really helps with swelling and bruising? I am going in for a tt and breast aug July 6 and would like to start taking or know what I can take after to help out. Does anyone recommend this?

Mommy Makeover Recovery

+4

In my practice, we do recommend Arnica for post surgery recovery to help with swelling and bruising.  I would highly recommend that you speak to your surgeon and his/her staff to make see what they recommend.

Good Luck!

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_mommyMakeover.htm

Does Arnika Benefit Surgical Results

+2

The use of Anica to decrease bruising and swelling and thus improve post surgical results is controversial even amongst those who believe in homeopathic and herbal remedies. Scientific and substantiated evidence of improvements with Anica are not available.  Most importantly, a person considering using Anica, or any herbal supplement ,  must consult with the surgeon who will perform the operation and also the anesthesia group who will provide anesthesia.  Even with the approval of the surgeon the anesthesia group can deny providing their services if they do not know or approve of the herbal supplement.  DO NOT hide the use of the herbal supplements.  Those who refuse to provide surgery or anesthesia to those using any particular herbal supplement may have very good reasons for their positions.

Arnica Montana for bruising after tummy tuck and breast augmentation

+2

Althoiugh I frequently recommend this product because of its relatively high safety profile and anecdotal reports, I am not aware of any study which truly documents the benefits or the optimal dose or preparation.

Arnica for post op bruising and swelling

+2

There are only a few good clinica studies on the use of arnica montana, a homeopathic herb, for minimizing swelling and bruising with surgery. It 's hard to make a strong case for using it based on the science although there is some evidence that it is useful, and it probably won't hurt. You would only need to start it the day before. Make sure you communicate with your surgeon about this, and if you decide to use be sure that you are getting the doses that have been tested clinically. Too high a dose can have the opposite effect. One brand is VitaMedica.

I reccomend arnica

+2

I reccomend arnica to my patients; however, you do best to ask your own doctor what he or she reccomends. Each of us has a different protocol before surgery.

Arnica

+1

I know that some offices recommend this product for surgery. The best way to prevent bruising after surgery is with good surgical technique ie. stop the bleeding so there is no bruising. I have it and will supply the patients with it if they would like. I do not feel this herb is of any use at all but it is certainly not discouraged if the patients feel strongly about using it.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.