OK to Have Plastic Surgery While Menstruating?

Tummy Tuck and Breast Aug: I have my surgery tomorrow morning. I have had a c-section and was told that that pain is WAY worse. Is that true? Also I am on my period, the office told me that it was ok. Any concerns on that?

C-Section Pain VS. Tummy Tuck Pain

You have been misinformed. At least in my practice, patients have told me that the C-section pain was much worse. I believe that this is mainly because the deep layer is cut during a C-section and in a tummy tuck the muscles are sutured but usually there is no cutting. As far as your menstration is concerned, there might be a slight amount of more bruising or bleeding during surgery due to your blood being a little thinner during your period, but the surgeon can easily control this.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

77 Cadillac Drive
Sacramento, CA 95825

Surgery and monthly cycle.

Many patients call the day before surgery is scheduled and want to know if they should reschedule their surgery because they have started their cycle. The answer to the question is no.  There is no reason to reschedule the surgery and it can be completed safely.  In general there is very little blood loss during cosmetic surgery with the exception of liposuction (large volume), and even here the amount is easily manageable. If you have been taking Advil or one of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory preparations you will likely bruise more. Concerning the pain level, I have noticed that some women are a bit more sensitive during their cycle, however, this should not be a major concern.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

4208 Richmond Ave
Houston, TX 77027

Menstruating during breast augmentation

I am sitting here not 10 minutes after finishing an armpit submuscular breast augmentation in a 33 year old who was menstruating. There are myths that during your period it is dangerous because of heavier bleeding..Not true..It is embarassing perhaps but it in no way compromises a surgery.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

2080 Century Park East
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Menstruation during surgery

Fortunately, menstruation does not affect procedures in the operating room. Although it may be a hassle during recovery, it will not affect your results whatsoever. Simply, inform your surgeon so that they can prepare you for surgery properly. In regards to the pain, everyone's pain tolerance is different. You will be provided with pain medication and possibly a pain pump, consult with your surgeon regarding pain medications if you are concerned. Good Luck.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Menstrual period bleeding and scheduling surgery.

Generally speaking there are no facts that truly support this long held belief. While certain aspects of a period such as bloating and swelling can make one feel uncomfortable and bleeding does occur, it does not appear that patients experience any differences in results.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Mommy Makeover coincides with your monthly!

JenD, by now, you will have had your mommy makeover and are probably delighted with your results.  I agree with your prior consultants that surgery on a patient who is menstruating isn't contraindicated, as long as your periods aren't excessively heavy and you "live" on Advil/NSAIDs for cramps.  Occasionally, the disruption of your routine (i.e. surgery) can cause women to either start their periods early or late.  It's generally good advice for all patients to empower your surgical team by informing them of your needs and concerns.  As far as comparing the pain of a C-section to a tummy tuck/breast aug (presumably subpectoral), patients' responses have been variable.  If you consider that birth and a mommy makeover both result in perceived value, women are both motivated and resourceful in getting through!  Good luck.

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

1401 Avocado Ave
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Having elective surgery while menstruating

Unless you have massive bleeding, there is no reason to cancel your surgery.  The pain from mommy makeover surgery is no worse and most likely less than a C-section.

Best of luck.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

2010 East First St.
Santa Ana , CA 92705

Surgery and the dreaded menstrual cycle?

This is an old wives tale I think. It is almost impossible to schedule your surgery between her periods. Many times when a patient becomes stressed because of her upcoming surgery her body will go into a different mode and chances are she will start the day before or even the day of surgery. If you have very heavy flow then you should let your surgeon know. This would also depend on the type of surgery you are having and how many procedures you are having done at that time. If you are having a long procedure and will be on the o.r. table for more then 4 hours it may be a good idea to wear a pad rather then a tampon. The best thing is to check with your surgeon.

William Aiello, MD

10921 Cherry Street
Los Alamitos, CA 90720

Surgery during menstruation

There are not serious complications that occur during surgery or after surgery during menstruation.  I presume it could be possible to have very heavy flow and significant blood loss during surgery and create a "perfect storm" situation with blood loss but his would be very unusual.

What is most important is to make sure you do not go to the operating room with an internal tampon device in place.  Failure of the doctors and nursing staff being aware of this device coupled with a problem during surgery requiring sedation of the patient and long term recovery or intensive care could catastrophically create a toxic shock situation that could have been avoided.  Make sure you go to the operating room with a pad and make sure your care givers are aware of your menstruation.

I find the pain level in my patients from a tummy tuck to be significantly less than a C-section in the same individual in almost all  cases.

John K. Long, MD

1200 Binz Street
Houston, TX 77004

Cosmetic Surgery while having Your Period

Menstruation can begin at any time including just before and during surgery. All surgeons have had cases in which their patients began their periods during the procedure and we are used to it. While it may be embarrassing to you just mention it to the surgeon and his staff. It is NOT a big deal.

6401 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38119