OK to Have Plastic Surgery While Menstruating?

Tummy Tuck and Breast Aug: I have my surgery tomorrow morning. I have had a c-section and was told that that pain is WAY worse. Is that true? Also I am on my period, the office told me that it was ok. Any concerns on that?

C-Section Pain VS. Tummy Tuck Pain

+4

You have been misinformed. At least in my practice, patients have told me that the C-section pain was much worse. I believe that this is mainly because the deep layer is cut during a C-section and in a tummy tuck the muscles are sutured but usually there is no cutting. As far as your menstration is concerned, there might be a slight amount of more bruising or bleeding during surgery due to your blood being a little thinner during your period, but the surgeon can easily control this.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Surgery and monthly cycle.

+4

Many patients call the day before surgery is scheduled and want to know if they should reschedule their surgery because they have started their cycle. The answer to the question is no.  There is no reason to reschedule the surgery and it can be completed safely.  In general there is very little blood loss during cosmetic surgery with the exception of liposuction (large volume), and even here the amount is easily manageable. If you have been taking Advil or one of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory preparations you will likely bruise more. Concerning the pain level, I have noticed that some women are a bit more sensitive during their cycle, however, this should not be a major concern.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Mommy Makeover coincides with your monthly!

+3

JenD, by now, you will have had your mommy makeover and are probably delighted with your results.  I agree with your prior consultants that surgery on a patient who is menstruating isn't contraindicated, as long as your periods aren't excessively heavy and you "live" on Advil/NSAIDs for cramps.  Occasionally, the disruption of your routine (i.e. surgery) can cause women to either start their periods early or late.  It's generally good advice for all patients to empower your surgical team by informing them of your needs and concerns.  As far as comparing the pain of a C-section to a tummy tuck/breast aug (presumably subpectoral), patients' responses have been variable.  If you consider that birth and a mommy makeover both result in perceived value, women are both motivated and resourceful in getting through!  Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Menstruating during breast augmentation

+3

I am sitting here not 10 minutes after finishing an armpit submuscular breast augmentation in a 33 year old who was menstruating. There are myths that during your period it is dangerous because of heavier bleeding..Not true..It is embarassing perhaps but it in no way compromises a surgery.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Menstruation during surgery

+3

Fortunately, menstruation does not affect procedures in the operating room. Although it may be a hassle during recovery, it will not affect your results whatsoever. Simply, inform your surgeon so that they can prepare you for surgery properly. In regards to the pain, everyone's pain tolerance is different. You will be provided with pain medication and possibly a pain pump, consult with your surgeon regarding pain medications if you are concerned. Good Luck.

OK to proceed with surgery

+2

Your cycle should have no bearing on your surgery.  You are OK to proceed as planned. Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Menstrual period bleeding and scheduling surgery.

+2

Generally speaking there are no facts that truly support this long held belief. While certain aspects of a period such as bloating and swelling can make one feel uncomfortable and bleeding does occur, it does not appear that patients experience any differences in results.

Having elective surgery while menstruating

+2

Unless you have massive bleeding, there is no reason to cancel your surgery.  The pain from mommy makeover surgery is no worse and most likely less than a C-section.

Best of luck.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Surgery and the dreaded menstrual cycle?

+2

This is an old wives tale I think. It is almost impossible to schedule your surgery between her periods. Many times when a patient becomes stressed because of her upcoming surgery her body will go into a different mode and chances are she will start the day before or even the day of surgery. If you have very heavy flow then you should let your surgeon know. This would also depend on the type of surgery you are having and how many procedures you are having done at that time. If you are having a long procedure and will be on the o.r. table for more then 4 hours it may be a good idea to wear a pad rather then a tampon. The best thing is to check with your surgeon.

William Aiello, MD

Surgery during menstrual period

+2

There is no reason that a person cannot have elective surgery while menstruating. You should schedule surgery when it is most convenient for you.

Howard T. Bellin, MD