How Soon Can I Do a "Mommy Makeover" if I'm Overweight Now?

I'm 5'1" 167 pounds. My ideal weight is 120 pounds. I plan on exercising and dieting before I do my mommy makeover, but I just want to know what weight I can do the the surgery? I heard that you should have 20 pounds so the lipo works better. I'm probably going to get a tummy tuck, lipo and breast augmentation with my makeover. Help?

Ideal weight for Mommy Makeover

+4

Hi there-

I personally do not believe that most people have an "ideal" weight, but rather, we all will have a "baseline" weight for our healthy lifestyle.

What I mean by this is that rather than concentrate on a number you think you need to see on a scale before you proceed with surgery, I always advise my patients to write down on a sheet of paper the following questions and answers:

1. How much do I eat in a day (calories)? Is this how I prefer to live, or can this be adjusted to be healthier for me?
  2. WHAT do I eat? Can I improve here? Will the improvement be something I can maintain LONG TERM?
  3. How much can I realistically exercise in a week over the long term?

It is important to realize that the answers to these questions are only meaningful if you can maintain the lifestyle change over the long term. Be honest with yourself.

Once you have made a commitment to an honestly realistic change in your lifestyle (how much you eat, what you eat, and how much you exercise), make the changes necessary and then give it time for the changes to take effect.

Your body will establish a new "normal" weight for you and your healthier lifestyle. When you reach this new plateau, and have remained stable at this weight for a few months, you can proceed with your planned surgery.

Dieting and exercising beyond what is in your ability to maintain over the long term just to have surgery is a mistake and may not be in your best interests. The goal should not be achieving a number.

The goal should be achieving a lifestyle that is more healthy and that you can maintain.

Ideal Weight for a Mommy Makeover

+3

There is no "ideal" weight for a mommy makeover. What I tell my patients is that if they are actively losing weight, then continue until you plateau before considering surgery. If you lose significant weight after surgery it will affect your results. In particular, the results from your breast surgery are most likely to be affected and may require a revision. This being said, most patients opt for surgery after being discouraged from lack of results with diet and exercise. If you do get closer to your ideal body weight, you may need much less liposuction or perhaps none at all!

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

OK to have mommy make over even if overweight.

+3

Hi.

Losing a lot of weight is extremely difficult. In New York City, we only require that a patient have stable, not fluctuating, weight before having breast implants, liposuction, and a tummy tuck. Your life is improved by having better shape even if you are still overweight.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Timing your Mommy Makeover

+2

I recommend getting within 10-15 pounds of your (realistic) target weight before undergoing Mommy Makeover.

Stable weight is important for the results of both your breast and tummy procedures.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

You should be at your realistic weight for surgery

+2

You should be at your realistic (everyday) weight not an artificial or "ideal" weight.  Be at the weight that you are comfortable and that you are likely going to be able to maintain.  Plastic surgery is not for weight loss, it is for contouring your body.  Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Mommy Makeover and Weight Loss

+2

When considering cosmetic surgery, we should begin with the end in mind. Let's concentrate on the result, rather than the procedure!

Cosmetic surgery results are best when we are closest to our ideal body weight. The risk of complications is  lower at a healthy weight. Being underweight is also unsafe for surgery.

After pregnancy, besides giving your body time to shed that baby weight, it is important to let your tissues settle down as much as possible. I usually request that my patients wait a minimum of 6 months after childbirth, or until after they are done nursing.

There is no benefit to extra fat in performing liposuction. If your reach your healthy weight with diet and exercise, you might not need liposuction at all!

Karen Vaniver, MD

Mommy makeover and weight

+2

Surgery results will be best if you do not lose weight after your surgery. Choosing you goal weight may be a problem, though. If you stand on a scale and decide (charts, friends, doctor, Ouija board) that the number is too high, then you need to work on it first. If you look in the mirror and decide what you see is "too fat" but your weight is stable and acceptable, then do your surgery! You can be a nice looking heavy person or a nice looking thin person. Since fat is not very dense, you can usually expect very little weight to be lost as a result surgery

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Ideal weight for mommy makeover

+2

You should be at or near your goal weight prior to considering a mommy makeover procedure, which consists of a tummy tuck procedure and breast procedure.  There is no correct number that you should be at for the surgery however, you should be at a weight that you are comfortable with and that you can maintain.  The more weight you lose before surgery, the more excess skin you'll have and therefore more skin can be removed at the time of surgery. This will all contribute to an overall better cosmetic result.  Also, the lower your weight going into surgery, the lower the risk of surgical complications.

Please discuss your situation in detail with a board certified plastic surgeon before scheduling your mommy makeover procedure.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Get the best out of your Mommy makeover

+2

To get the best result from your surgery, I think it's best to get to your stable weight ("ideal" or not) and stay there for a few months before surgery. 120 lbs would be great, but sometimes that's hard to achieve. I think patients get the best result when their plastic surgeon is not trying to hit a moving target.

Get to the weight that you can realistically achieve, stabilize there for a few months, and then your plastic surgeon can give you the best result possible at that weight. You only want to do this once, so do it right , even if it requires weight loss and patience prior to surgery.

Scott Thellman, M.D.
Lawrence Plastic Surgeon

Proper weight for a mommy makeover

+2

You should be within 15 pounds of your ideal weight before having the surgery, not so the "lipo works" but so your skin doesn't loosen up after surgery by losing 20+ pounds afterward.  I have many phtots of these for your review on RealSelf.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS