Can I Swim 4 Weeks After a Mommy Makeover?

Mommy makeover planned for Apr 29th and trip to Mexico one month later. Will I be able to swim (or at least get in the water) by then?

Swimming 4 weeks after a Mommy Makeover

A Mommy Make-Over is an umbrella term describing a group of operations performed to reverse the damages to a woman's body by pregnancy(ies). It encompasses any of a combination of Tummy Tuck, Liposuction, Breast Augmentation with or without a lift, among others.

As regards the 4 week recovery deadline, I think you may be shaving it too close. Such a target deadline is possible but far from assured and would depend on a smooth recovery free of potential complications. Six to 8 weeks would be a more realistic forecast for several such procedures.

Hope it all works great for you.

Dr. P. Aldea

Mommy makeover recovery

Yes.  You will be able to swim and wear a bikini.  However, scars may not mature at one month postoperatively. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Water activities and swimming after mommy makeover

Generally by 4 weeks after mommy makeover surgery, all incisions are healed and you should be able to get into the water.

Your breasts and especially abdomen may feel tight, however. I, therefore, recommend swimming at a very slow pace and do not push yourself if you feel uncomfortable.

Most importantly, however, is to avoid any sun exposure to your surgery areas. It will take at least 6-12 months for the blood supply to your abdomen to return to normal. Therefore, even a minor sun burn in one part of your body may result in a full-thickness burn on your abdomen. This may require skin grafting and will obviously result in a poor cosmetic result.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Swimming After Mommy Makeover

If your mommy makeover includes a tummy tuck, most plastic surgeons will recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks after your procedure.  If your incisions are healing very well, then at four weeks you will likely be cleared to get into the pool.  But no swimming.  Talk to your plastic surgeon.  Have fun on your trip.

Swimming after a Mommy Makeover

Hi there-

When it is most appropriate to resume physical activity like swimming will depend on the details of your Mommy Makeover and your surgeon's preferred techniques...

Generally speaking, if you are having a tummy tuck with muscle tightening, I would not want you swimming for 6 weeks after surgery.

Your best bet, however, is to discuss this with your surgeon- they are the only one who will have the complete understanding of the procedure you will have necessary to completely answer your question.

Cutting it close for sun drenched pool vacation one month after mommy makeover

IT is possible that you will be able to get in the water but it depends on the extent of the procedures performed and an uneventful recovery. In any case it will be close and you should be avoiding sun exposure. It may be truly difficult to enjoy that vacation.

Your plastic surgeon will give you the best answer in your specific case about swimming  and sex timing. For most of my patients I allow both swimming and sex to begin at 6 weeks post surgery with the woman on top to minimize the risk of trauma. Here are some fo the guidelines I give my patients: Following surgery, you will be walking in a bent-over position to keep tension off the newly tightened skin incision site. Although strenuous activity, and lifting more than ten pounds, must be avoided for 6 weeks, some people can return to work and daily activities as soon as 2 weeks after surgery. Softening of the surgical scars, return of sensation, and loosening of the tight sensation may take several months to a year or more.
Abdominoplasty involves a recovery period of 10 to 14 days longer than most plastic surgical procedures. Initial discomfort and decreased mobility is typical. To decrease this discomfort, we offer a long acting local anesthetic. This numbing injection solution (Exparel) which lasts for 3-4 days allows for an easier recovery and is preferable to older pain pump technology.
3-5 days or more of assistance at home is usually indicated. We can arrange for a nurse to stay with you if helpful.
You will be encouraged to move and walk regularly starting the day of surgery. Wearing your TED stockings at all times, except while washing, to prevent venous clots (deep vein thrombosis) is mandatory.
Light activity is comfortable in 10-20 days. No sports or heavy lifting for 6 weeks or more – please discuss with your doctor for specific questions.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Swimming after a Mommy Make Over

This is a very common question. A Mommy Make Over is an extensive surgical endeavor often with dramatic and life changing results. In order to achieve a great outcome it is very important to be very careful about your postoperative recovery. Considering a Mommy Make Over normally consists of some type of breast reshaping , liposuction, and a tummy tuck, either full or mini, there will be several lengthy incisions which will require healing. Complete healing and sealing of these wounds is essential before a person should immerse themselves in water. The tiniest of opening can allow entry of bacteria and potentially cause a serious infection. Many times public bodies of water such as a river, lake , ocean or even a public pool can contain unusual and possibly antibiotic resistant organisms that can result in a very serious problem. Even after the wounds themselves appear to be sealed stitches under the skin can work themselves out causing a small opening and allowing the ingress of bacteria. It would be best to delay immersing yourself in water until your surgeon has had the ability to examine your wounds and provide you with a release.
The physical act of swimming also needs to be considered. After a full abdominoplasty and especially one that includes muscle tightening it is best to refrain from activities that stress the core for at least eight weeks.
Very often swimming is performed outdoors in a bathing suit that might not cover parts of the body involved in the Mommy Make Over. Very often these areas are numb or have reduced feeling for several months. Because of the decreased sensation there is a greater chance of a serious sunburn which can cause irreversible scarring.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Swimming following mommy makeover

Thank you for your question.  You should certainly be able to enjoy some time in the water four weeks following mommy makeover.  You may still want to limit strenuous activity until around six weeks following surgery.

Swimming after MM

Thank you for your post. In general, your incisions need to be perfect, all drains removed and the drain site healed perfect, and the muscle repair needs to be mature with no areas of fluid collection. If the incisions are not perfect, or drain site, then you are at risk of infection in pools, hot tubs, oceans/lakes. You don't have to have perfect incisions to shower, just not submerge in bath or the above. However, I ask my patients to wear their abdominal binder non-stop, except for showers, for at least 4 weeks, so unless you want to hang out at the beach with your binder, then no beach.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon