Can I Swim 4 Weeks After a Mommy Makeover?

Mommy makeover planned for Apr 29th and trip to Mexico one month later. Will I be able to swim (or at least get in the water) by then?

Swimming 4 weeks after a Mommy Makeover

+4

A Mommy Make-Over is an umbrella term describing a group of operations performed to reverse the damages to a woman's body by pregnancy(ies). It encompasses any of a combination of Tummy Tuck, Liposuction, Breast Augmentation with or without a lift, among others.

As regards the 4 week recovery deadline, I think you may be shaving it too close. Such a target deadline is possible but far from assured and would depend on a smooth recovery free of potential complications. Six to 8 weeks would be a more realistic forecast for several such procedures.

Hope it all works great for you.

Dr. P. Aldea

Mommy makeover recovery

+3

Yes.  You will be able to swim and wear a bikini.  However, scars may not mature at one month postoperatively. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Water activities and swimming after mommy makeover

+3

Generally by 4 weeks after mommy makeover surgery, all incisions are healed and you should be able to get into the water.

Your breasts and especially abdomen may feel tight, however. I, therefore, recommend swimming at a very slow pace and do not push yourself if you feel uncomfortable.

Most importantly, however, is to avoid any sun exposure to your surgery areas. It will take at least 6-12 months for the blood supply to your abdomen to return to normal. Therefore, even a minor sun burn in one part of your body may result in a full-thickness burn on your abdomen. This may require skin grafting and will obviously result in a poor cosmetic result.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Swimming After Mommy Makeover

+2

If your mommy makeover includes a tummy tuck, most plastic surgeons will recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks after your procedure.  If your incisions are healing very well, then at four weeks you will likely be cleared to get into the pool.  But no swimming.  Talk to your plastic surgeon.  Have fun on your trip.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Swimming after a Mommy Makeover

+2

Hi there-

When it is most appropriate to resume physical activity like swimming will depend on the details of your Mommy Makeover and your surgeon's preferred techniques...

Generally speaking, if you are having a tummy tuck with muscle tightening, I would not want you swimming for 6 weeks after surgery.

Your best bet, however, is to discuss this with your surgeon- they are the only one who will have the complete understanding of the procedure you will have necessary to completely answer your question.

Armando Soto, MD

Cutting it close for sun drenched pool vacation one month after mommy makeover

+2

IT is possible that you will be able to get in the water but it depends on the extent of the procedures performed and an uneventful recovery. In any case it will be close and you should be avoiding sun exposure. It may be truly difficult to enjoy that vacation.

+1
Most likely you will be fine to swim or get in the water one month after surgery.  Monitor your surgical sites and report any concerns to your surgeon.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Swimming Should Be Avoided In The Immediate Post-Operative Period Following Mommy Makeover Surgery

+1

The Mommy Make-Over is an extensive operative procedure that is designed to reverse the changes associated with pregnancy. The procedure combines cosmetic breast surgery, liposuction, and abdominoplasty. Patients are eager to return to normal activity as soon as possible following a Mommy Make-Over. Unfortunately, returning to normal activity too soon can potentially result in an increased potential for complications.
Swimming and similar activities if resumed too soon following a Mommy Make-Over can potentially result in an increased complication rate. Although it may be possible to get into the water four weeks following this procedure, strenuous activities like swimming would be out of the question.
Theoretically, once the skin edges have sealed in about 48 hours following surgery, these activities can be resumed. In reality, many patients have drains in place for three weeks or longer after this procedure. In addition, small absorbable interrupted sutures may break through the skin and become exposed. In this situation, infection could occur in a patient who is submerged in a pool, pond, or the ocean. Each of these environments may have unique and in many cases antibiotic resistant bacteria that could lead to a significant infection.
In addition, we generally don’t recommend resumption of strenuous activities for at least six weeks following abdominoplasty. Swimming can create significant strain on the core muscles of the abdomen, and should therefore be avoided in the immediate post-operative period.
Finally, the abdomen and breasts may not have normal sensation immediately after surgery. This potentially can result in severe sunburn if proper care is not taken.
It’s important to remember that every patient’s procedure and post-operative course is unique. For these reasons, make sure you consult your plastic surgeon before getting into the water.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

+1

In general recovery from surgery takes six weeks. If you are healing well and have not had any complications you should  be able to do a little swimming at four weeks after your surgery, but this has to be individualized for each patient. You will certainly not have all of your stamina back at four weeks and you should therefore keep this in mind for safety.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Swim a month after mommy makeover surgery

+1

Yes, barring wound complications, you should be able to go in the water and swim a month after mommy makeover surgery.

However, your scars may become irritated or even sun burned leading to a prolongation of the period for scar maturity.  So Ideally, you should protect your scars from the sun.

Additionally,  you should avoid activities that may stress the operative site.  For example, playing golf or tennis requires that you tighten your abdominal muscles forcefully.  Optimally I prefer that the patients wait for 6 to 8 weeks before beginning to start these types of activities, and longer if they do more strenuous activity such as rock climbing.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD