Can I Get a Mommy Make-over and Tubal Ligation at the Same Time?

I'm 30 yrs. old, 5' 3", 185lbs. I have super skinny arms and legs, but a huge belly. I look like I'm pregnant! I have 2 children (both delivered by cesarian) and would like to have a mommy make-over (breast lift, tummy tuck, & lipo) done and have my tubes tied as well. Is it best to do one before the other or is it safe to do all in one surgery? Thank you!!

Liposuction, breast lift and tubal ligation first, and later tummy tuck.

+2

Hi.

1) I agree with the other doctors that all the surgery together is not safe because you are overweight. But telling you to lose weight before surgery is not helpful. Losing weight is very very difficult, and you would do it if you could. So this is my suggestion:

2) Do liposuction ( specially of the upper abdomen ) together with breast lift and tubal ligation. This is a reasonable amount of surgery.

3) A few months later, just have the tummy tuck. This is the higher risk procedure and is best done alone for you. Because you have already had liposuction of the upper abdomen, tummy tuck is easier and quicker.

Tubal ligation and tummy tuck

+1
It is possible to have a tubal ligation at the time of your tummy tuck - it just requires patience and flexibility on your part in order to accommodate and schedule with two surgeons (you need an OBGYN for the tubal ligation and a plastic surgeon for the tummy tuck). In order to decrease your risk of blood clot and other complications I would recommend having two procedures instead of one for all of the things you want to have done.

Grant Stevens, MD

No need for tubal ligation, have Essure instead

+1

There is a new procedure for sterilization,called Essure, where little coils are placed in the Fallopian tubes, plugging them up and preventing any pregnancy.  This is an outpatient office procedure that does not need an anesthetic or even a IV started.  This is a much better alternative than having a tubal ligation and all the risks associated with that procedure, I predict Essure will totally replace tubal ligation in the near future.

Once you are sterile, then you can have your mommy makeover without the worries of scheduling with an OB/GYN doctor, hospital, insurance, costs, etc.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Make-over and Tubal Ligation at the Same Time

+1

Although a tummy tuck can be performed at the same time as a tubal ligation, you would need the cooperation of two completely separate surgeons. A plastic surgeon or cosmetic surgeon will perform the tummy tuck, and an obstetrician will handle the tubal ligation.

This isn’t impossible, although as others here have stated, coordinating these efforts can be challenging sometimes. Keep in mind that if you have a target weight you’d like to reach, that should happen before your tummy tuck appointment as well. Losing weight after a tummy tuck may cause unwanted skin laxity, and subsequent weight gain will likely mask your body contouring results.

Frank Campanile, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover & Tubal Ligation Can be Performed at the Same Time; This Surgery has an Increased Potential for Complications

+1

The mommy makeover and tubal ligation can be performed during the same operative procedure. Once a woman decides to undergo a tubal ligation, it often represents the beginning of a new phase in their life. Not only do they want a tubal ligation, but they also want to reverse the changes in their body associated with pregnancy. This can be accomplished by performing a tubal ligation in combination with a mommy makeover. The mommy makeover includes cosmetic breast surgery, liposuction, and abdominoplasty.
When tubal ligation is added to a mommy makeover, it adds significantly to the operating room time. The procedure is usually done laparoscopically, which means that air is infused into the abdominal cavity during the procedure. This air is evacuated at the conclusion of the tubal ligation. Unfortunately, some air may be left behind, which potentially makes tightening the abdominal wall difficult. For this reason, some plastic surgeons prefer staging these procedures.
This type of procedure combination has an increased potential for complications. For this reason, patients should undergo a comprehensive pre-operative medical examination before proceeding with surgery. Make sure your plastic surgeon and gynecologist have good communication and have co-ordinated their surgical plans. With this type of approach, cosmetic results can be excellent.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Surgery

+1

I would stage the procedures and have them performed in different settings and at different times. You will have a better result with some initial weight loss

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover and Tubal Ligation

+1

In general, having these procedures performed at the same time is possible.  I would encourage a conversation between your OBGYN and Plastic Surgeon to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Also, making sure that you are at your lowest, most stable weight prior to the surgery will help get you the best results.

Best Wishes!

Mommy makeover and tubal ligation

+1

Plastic surgical and gyn procedures can certainly be combined; however you want to be in the best condition possible.  As others have mentioned, your BMI is on the high side- this increases your risk of anesthesia complications and   your tummy tuck won't look as good.  Working on your core muscle strength will help fine tune your results.  Dieting is not easy..everyone wants to feed you.  Consider weight watchers..whatever works for you.  I wish you good luck, a safe operation and excellent results

Emily Pollard, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

+1

These procedures are certainly done together all the time safely across the country. You should, of course discuss this with both your Gynecologist as well as your Plastic Surgeon and make sure they have worked together in the past to perform these combination procedures.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Mommy Makeover and Tubal Ligation together

+1

A tubal ligation (or other Gyn procedures) can easily performed at the same time as a mommy makeover.

Multiple procedures can be safely performed in one setting. But it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done.

Most surgeons refer to a "mommy makeover" as a series of cosmetic surgery procedures intended to restore a woman’s figure after pregnancy. Procedures commonly performed during mommy makeovers include:

Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck); Breast Augmentation +/- Lift, or Breast Lift only without implants; liposuction

Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon for a formal evaluation. He/she will determine the how long it will take and whether you are a safe/good candidate for these combined procedures. Hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS