Can I Use Afrin the Morning of my Mommy Makeover Surgery?

Chronic stuffy nose, can I use Afrin the morning of mommy makeover surgery? I'm having general anesthesia and it's a 6 1/2 hr sx, I'm scared I'll wake up and not be able to breathe. My doc and the hospital didn't seem too bothered by my meds and taking them that morning. What is your opinion?

Using Afrin prior to surgery

+1

There should be no problem using an Afrin the morning prior to surgery. You want to avoid products like Sudafed since they contain medications that may effect your heart rate during surgery.  

Mommy Makeover and Afrin?

+1

There should be no problem  with the use of this medication on the morning of surgery.

Best wishes.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_mommyMakeover.htm

Afrin and surgery are safe.

+1

The use of Afrin before surgery is permissible and will not have any untoward affects on your surgery. That said, Afrin should only be used for short periods of time as people become addicted to it and it will fail to be effective after a time. I would recommend that you have a consult to evaluate your breathing problems as they may be amenable to a simple surgical correction.

Afrin is not a good treatment for chronic stuffy nose

+1

Afrin is not a good treatment for chronic stuffy nose. In fact it makes it worse. It is great for acute chronic nasal congestion and should only be used for about 3 days.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/other-procedures-chicago/labiaplasty-and-mommy-makeover/

Afrin use may be symptom of correctable problem

+1

There should be no side effects of using your afrin nasal spray prior to the mommy makeover surgery. However, have you discussed with your plastic surgeon whether perhaps you might have a structural problem, such as a deviated septum or enlarged turbinate that could be fixed at the same time? A simple internal nasal exam will address that issue.

Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

OK to use Afrin before surgery

+1

I routinely use Afrin during rhinoplasty surgery and see no reason to not use it on the day of your surgery.

Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Afrin and surgery?

+1

Yes,  if you were my patient I would let you use Afrin the morning of  surgery. There is no surgical reason not to use it. Afrin can be addictive and you really  should try to find something else to help your symptoms.

Nasal decongestants before surgery

+1

Almost assuredly the decongestant afrin will have worn off by the time your surgery is over. If you need it have it at your bedside when you awaken or request your anaesthesiologist spray you before you awaken. It won't hurt you or your surgery but in long term users it ceases to work.

Afrin and a mommy makeover

+1

There is no reason that taking Afrin will cause a problem before having a mommy makeover, but Afrin is a mdication that you should use very sparingly.

Afrin Addiction is NOT a good thing

+1

Prolonged use of your Afrin - Oxymetazoline hydrochloride may be addictive and result in rebound congestion. It may be easier for you to try and kick this habit rather than trying to manage it after the surgery.

From a purely surgical point of view, your nasal spray would not materially affect your operation. But your recovery may be a bit more complicated if you have serious nasal congestion.