Can I Use Afrin the Morning of my Mommy Makeover Surgery?

Chronic stuffy nose, can I use Afrin the morning of mommy makeover surgery? I'm having general anesthesia and it's a 6 1/2 hr sx, I'm scared I'll wake up and not be able to breathe. My doc and the hospital didn't seem too bothered by my meds and taking them that morning. What is your opinion?

You Can Use Afrin Prior to Mommy Makeover Surgery

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to use decongestants when they develop upper respiratory infections. In the vast majority of preoperative patients, this doesn’t represent a problem. Unfortunately, some decongestants can cause significant elevations in blood pressure. This type of decongestant should be stopped well in advance of cosmetic surgery.

Afrin has no effect on blood pressure or pulse rate. For this reason its acceptable for patients who are taking Afrin to proceed with mommy makeover surgery. If you have questions regarding this topic, make sure they’re discussed with your plastic surgeon.  

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Using Afrin prior to surgery

+1

There should be no problem using an Afrin the morning prior to surgery. You want to avoid products like Sudafed since they contain medications that may effect your heart rate during surgery.  

Mommy Makeover and Afrin?

+1

There should be no problem  with the use of this medication on the morning of surgery.

Best wishes.

Afrin and surgery are safe.

+1

The use of Afrin before surgery is permissible and will not have any untoward affects on your surgery. That said, Afrin should only be used for short periods of time as people become addicted to it and it will fail to be effective after a time. I would recommend that you have a consult to evaluate your breathing problems as they may be amenable to a simple surgical correction.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Afrin is not a good treatment for chronic stuffy nose

+1

Afrin is not a good treatment for chronic stuffy nose. In fact it makes it worse. It is great for acute chronic nasal congestion and should only be used for about 3 days.

Afrin use may be symptom of correctable problem

+1

There should be no side effects of using your afrin nasal spray prior to the mommy makeover surgery. However, have you discussed with your plastic surgeon whether perhaps you might have a structural problem, such as a deviated septum or enlarged turbinate that could be fixed at the same time? A simple internal nasal exam will address that issue.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

OK to use Afrin before surgery

+1

I routinely use Afrin during rhinoplasty surgery and see no reason to not use it on the day of your surgery.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Afrin and surgery?

+1

Yes,  if you were my patient I would let you use Afrin the morning of  surgery. There is no surgical reason not to use it. Afrin can be addictive and you really  should try to find something else to help your symptoms.

William Aiello, MD

Nasal decongestants before surgery

+1

Almost assuredly the decongestant afrin will have worn off by the time your surgery is over. If you need it have it at your bedside when you awaken or request your anaesthesiologist spray you before you awaken. It won't hurt you or your surgery but in long term users it ceases to work.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Afrin and a mommy makeover

+1

There is no reason that taking Afrin will cause a problem before having a mommy makeover, but Afrin is a mdication that you should use very sparingly.

Howard T. Bellin, MD