Aldactone and Irregular Periods?

i started taking aldactone for my hair loss and body hair since the mid of february and my period was regular before the medication and for two months after it. this month my period is late and am afraid that it might not come and am not sexually active. if i stopped the medication now, will my period come and be regular again ? and how long will it take ?

Spironolactone can alter your menstrual cycle

Yes, depending on how your body responds to Aldactone (generic name spironolactone) you may notice some changes to your menstrual cycle. I treat many patients with spironolactone at doses up to 200mg daily for female pattern hair loss and I occasionally hear that women have either spotting in between their regular periods or notice a lessening or loss of their period altogether. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as certain estrogenic hormones when taken continuously can also keep you from having your period. I would encourage you to speak with your obstetrician and decide together what you are most comfortable with.  Yaz or Yasmin is another form of birth control which has drospirenone, similar to aldactone, and may help with hair loss and/or unwanted body hair. Most importantly, be sure you are not pregnant, because aldactone is a pregnancy category D drug which may affect the unborn child!

New Orleans Dermatologist

Spironolactone causes irregular periods in 80 %

Approximately 80 % of women who use the hair loss medication spironolactone will develop irregular periods. If the medication is stopped menstrual cycles return to the original patterns, but this may take a few months. 

It's important to speak to your physician about options if you want to regulate your period while on Spironolactone. Many options exist including reducing the dose and taking spironolactone for only a portion of the month. Some women choose to use oral contraceptives to regulate their menstrual cycle while on spironolactone. 

Aldactone and Hair Loss

You should consult your prescribing doctor and have the opinion of a gynecologist and/or an endocrinologist as well.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon