Bimatoprost product for Scalp Hair Growth?

Is There a Product That Contains Bimatoprost for Use on Scalp Hair?

Bimatoprost, like Latisse, is approved for eyelash growth

+3

Bimatoprost, like Latisse, is approved for eyelash growth. We are actually doing a study on using the product on eyebrows and it has shown that it does improve growth in this area. But, these products only work on areas with hair growth, they do not create new hairs in bald areas. Therefore, it may work on the hairs that already exist in the scalp to make them thicker, darker, or longer, but there has been no study by the FDA on using these products in this way. And, so far there’s no product like these that has been designed for scalp hair.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bimatoprost for hair loss or baldness

+3

I am sure that the drug companies are having the same thoughts.  The problem is getting this through the FDA. It can cost alot of money and why should they ruin a good thing. They are making an excellent profit off of The current indication. Off label indications currently are used for eyebrow growth.

Bimatoprost does not improve scalp hair growth

+2

Freebird,

Eyelash and scalp hairs have similar cycles of hair growth and renewal, however the growth/renewal cycle of scalp hairs is hormone-sensitive (DHT) whereas the growth/renewal cycle of eyelash hairs is prostaglandin-sensitive (bimatoprost).  Bimatoprost works on eyelash hairs because it prolongs the natural growth (anagen) phase in the hair cycle; the growth phase in scalp hairs is not influenced by topical prostaglandins.  Your best bets for usual pattern-type scalp hair loss remain topical vasodilators (Rogaine) or oral hormone modulators (Propecia for men, spironolactone off-label for women).  I would also check your general health, including thyroid function and iron levels, before determining a therapeutic plan for scalp hair growth.

Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

Bimatoprost for scalp hair loss

+1
There are no FDA approved medications containing bimatoprost for scalp hair loss

A phase 2 trial by Allergan (the makers of bimatoprost) showed the drug did not help individuals with genetic hair loss that much. The company is currently testing whether a formulation that is ten times stronger will help or not. 

Bimatoprost (Latisse) is FDA approved for promoting eyelash growth. 
Toronto Dermatologist

Latisse for scalp hair growth

+1

Latisse (Bimatoprost) is a prescription-only medication and is the only solution that has been proven to stimulate the growth of eyelashes. Allergan currently has studies underway to show that Bimatoprost can be effective for growing eyebrow hair as well as scalp hair. They are now getting closer to FDA approval for eyebrow hair but approval for scalp hair is still many years away. My own experience, in my patients, has been that off-label use of Latisse for eyebrow hair has been quite effective.

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com/cosmetic-dermatology/latisse/

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Bimatoprost only works if there are active hair follicles

+1

Believe, people have thought about using it on the scalp.  Scalp hair loss is a big problem and a huge potential market.  I am sure the scientists at Allergan are working on it.  Currently, it is not FDA approved for that use and it only works on areas where there are still hair follicles.

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

There is NO over the counter, legal preparation in the US containing Bimatoprost

+1

Regarding: " Bimatoprost product for Scalp Hair Growth?  Is There a Product That Contains Bimatoprost for Use on Scalp Hair?"

There is no published scientific evidence that Bimatoprost has the same hair growing effect on scalp hair that it has on eye lashes. But, using it on the scalp is permissible as an off label use if you can get your doctor to prescribe you either Lumigan or Latisse. There are no other over the counter, legal preparation in the US containing Bimatoprost .

Dr. Peter Aldea