Do I Need Alar Base Reduction?

I was wondering whether or not alar base reduction would be recommended in my case. Thank you

No alar reduction needed

+3
In reviewing your photographs my personal opinion is no. You would be best served with a small reduction of the dorsum where you have a small bump and some thinning on the nasal tip and you would have a very nice natural looking rhinoplasty. Best regards!

Alar Base Reduction in Rhinoplasty

+2

Surgeons evaluate the width of the nostrils by drawing an imaginary line down from the inner corners of the eyes. If the nostrils overlap this line, then we consider reduction of the alar width. Although you blacked out your eyes on the frontal view, it does appear that your nostrils are of normal width. Another view that would be helpful is a view of your nose from the base (with the tip of your nose pointed up towards the ceiling). This view allows us to evaluate nostril symmetry. The photos you sent do show a bulbous tip and a dorsal hump, which would certainly improve with hump reduction and tip refinement.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+2

It does not appear that the base width of your nose is out of proportion and reducing the ala would not see to be helpful. Agree that dorsal hump reduction and refining the tip would probably give a cosmetic improvement

Michael Hueneke, MD

Alar base reduction.

+1

Alar base reduction is only necessary when wide nostrils are present.  The incisions are placed at the nostril sill and a small wedge of tissue, usually 3-5 mm, is removed from either the nostril sill, or the alar base or both, depending upon the issues.  This will narrow the base of the nose quite nicely and is only used for patients with a very wide nostril base.  

Alar base reduction

+1

No - based on your photos it appears that you do not have excessive flare of the nostrils nor should you develop this through significant deprojection

Sam Naficy, MD

No alar base reduction

+1

From your photos, the alar appear very close together already so, IMHO, no alar base reduction would be indicated.  Your nasal tip appears quite wide and bulbous and a Tip Plasty would seems more aesthetically appropriate during a Rhinoplasty.

Reducing Nose Width, or Alar Base Reduction, Probably Not Necessary

+1

ducktales-

In general, if your nasal base is too wide, it will be out of proportion to your face.  In your photo you supplied, it does not look like your nose is wide in proportion to your face.  Of course, it's best if you're seen in person by a plastic surgeon, but your photos don't really indicate a nose that's wide in comparison to the rest of your nose or face.

Best Wishes,

Roy

Roy Kim, MD

Alar base

+1

No. I would not narrow the base. This would not look natural and could inhibit your ability to breath

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Alar base reduction.

+1

Alar base reduction is for wide nostrils. Your width is fine and you only need the tip and bridge refined,

Alar Base looks fine.

+1

The definition of the ideal width of teh alar base is a line drawn vertically through the innermost aspect of the eye and the outermost point on the nostril - you look fine.

Sometimes the width of the nostril itself gives the appearance that you are too wide - hard to tell from these photos.

Robert M. Freund, MD