Alar Base Reduction - Does it Look Natural?

I'm considering getting this procedure done. However, I have noticed in pictures that some patients develop a notch on each nostril where the base has been stitched together. It looks rather unnatural and 'pinched' together. Based on your personal experience, how often does this occur in alar base reduction? Is it a common or rare complication? Is this a problem of healing or a problem of doctor skill set?

Performing Alar Base Resections Correctly

+1

One of the key elements is to allow for natural alar base reduction by hiding the scar just above the alar groove. Alar base reductions can be particularly challenging and can be done so they look natural and does not give one a pinched look or facial incongruity as is often seen if done excessively or asymmetrically.

Alar base reduction

+1

An alar base reduction is an excellent ancillary procedure to a rhinoplasty for a wide nasal base or flare of the nostrils. It usually heals quite well.

Alar Base Reduction

+1

I frequently do alar base reductions and feel very comfortable recommending this procedure.  As Dr. Placik said we don't see the natural results, only the distracting notches or bad contours. Select an experienced surgeon to avoid these problems.  

Visible alar reduction incisions in nose job surgery

+1

In most cases this looks excellent and my impression is that you are noticing the ones with visible notches whereas you are not aware of the good ones.