Best Age for First Facelift?

I notice most people get their first lift at around age 60..but isn't that really too late? It seems the younger the better as the sagging and deep lines can be targeted early and prevent them from developing and getting worse. Do any surgeons find this to be true? Thanks!

Best Age For Facelift

+4

Thank you for your question. You are absolutely correct. Waiting until facial aging changes are severe will reduce your chances for the best result and starting facial rejuvenation procedures early is best for several reasons:

1. Facial aging changes start to become noticeable in the late 30's for most people. As these changes progress through the 40's and 50's deep facial lines caused by skin folds and loss of facial volume from fat loss create permanent skin changes that are difficult to correct with a facelift alone. Taking action early, in your 40's or 50's by having a Facelift or Volume enhancement by Fillers or Fat will help prevent these permanent changes.
  2. Generally speaking, people in their 40's and 50's are more healthy with fewer medical issues than people over 60, and younger people are generally better candidates for elective surgery such as a Facelift and recover more easily.
  3. Younger people in their 40's and 50's today are typically more socially active and pursuing careers where looking fit and young, whether it is fair or not, is very important. Correcting facial aging changes in your 40"s or 50's will allow you to enjoy the results for many years at an important time in your life.

When I began my Plastic Surgery practice 30 years ago the average age of my Facelift patients was in the mid 60's. Today the average facelift patient is 50.

The most important factor is not really your age but whether or not you have facial aging changes which can be corrected with a Facelift.

Today there are so many new non surgical options that many facial aging changes can be corrected without the need for a Facelift. Fillers like Restylane, Perlane, Radiesse and Sculptra can plump the cheek and improve Nasal Labial Fold Lines and rejuvenate the mid face. Botox and Dysport can reduce Crow's Feet, Frown lines and Worry Lines to rejuvenate the upper face.

The lower face-Jowls- and Neck are still areas that usually require surgical Facelift and Neck Lift, but these changes tend to occur later than the mid face and upper face aging changes.

Having a Facelift is a very personal decision. It is a decision that you should make  in consultation with an experienced reputable Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. The issue should be whether you have significant facial aging changes that can best be corrected with surgery, and whether you want to have the procedure and whether you are healthy enough to have the procedure. Your age is a secondary factor.

At What Age to Get a Facelift

+2

Unfortunately, there is no "textbook" answer for that. It really depends on the individual patient. Our faces age according to genetic and our environment. I have seen grandmothers with amazing skin and barely any wrinkles, while some women in their 30s look 50. For me, the goal is to perform the surgery safely and for my patients to be happy with the results.

The process requires me to analyze each individual, pinpoint what bothers them and realistically explain their surgical options. My recommendations can range from doing nothing to injectables to a complete facelift. Ultimately, the right age for any procedure is when you need it, when it can be done safely and when the results will provide the patient with an improved appearance that makes them happy.

Michael E. Kelly, MD

Best age for first facelift

+2
There is no specific age as to when patients should have their first facelift. The goal of a facelift is to tighten up the jowls, remove the fat in the neck both above and below the platysma muscle, tightening the muscle cords in the neck, and facial skin laxity is also tightened. Some patients have earlier signs of aging; say in their late 40’s, while other patients remain rather tight into their early 60’s. It really depends on when the aging process begins to show and when the patient is emotionally and physically ready for a facelift. Patients can undergo a facelift in their 70’s, however the skin tone is somewhat loose and will not last as long. For many examples of a comprehensive facial rejuvenation in our practice, please see the link below to our facelift photo gallery

Timing for a facelift

+2

The degree of aging change in each person varies significantly. So while one person may still look young at 60, another person may look quite a bit older. This and the patient's desires are what I usually use to help patients decide the issue. However, with many years of experience, I believe most people benefit from a facelift at an earlier age (say 50ish rather than 60ish). That being said, I also believe the result is more dramatic at age 60 than at age 50. In the end, this all needs to be discuseed with your surgeon. A person is a candidate for a facelift or minilift at any point in time when they have significant aging changes, and this can occur at a variety of ages.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Age for First Facelift

+2

Timing of the first facelift should be based on need, which is influenced by genes and lifestyle, not chronological age. You are correct when suggesting that it is advantageous to have rejuvenation surgery before aging is severe. Patients prefer to have treatment earlier and maintain a rested, refreshed look throught life. Even with today's excellent  techniques, there are limitations on how much can be achieved with a facelift.

What age is best for a facelift?

+2

While there is no ideal age for a facelift, patients who are younger or who have less severe facial aging do tend to get more complete improvement or correction from facelift procedures where sometimes no signs of facial aging are apparent following a mini facelift, endoscopic forehead and midfacelift or deep plane facelift.  The patients of more advanced age with more facial aging with poor skin turgor/elasticity usually require skin resurfacing like laser, chemical peel or dermabrasion in addition to full facial surgery to optimize their results and approach their goals. 

James C. Marotta, MD
Long Island Facial Plastic Surgeon

Perfect age for a facelift

+2

There is no perfect age for a facelift.  Most of my patients are electing to have a mini-lift of the cheek only in their 40's.  This is done with a SMAS plication and lasts a good five years.  A mini-lift every five years is actually a good way to refresh the face without looking overdone.  This also depends on your individual genetic make-up and your personal health habits such as smoking and sun(UV) exposure.  When you need a full facelift your aging has advanced and a lot of the work is actually in the neck.

Wishing you the best,

Tal Raine MD

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Age for first facelift

+2

The age to start any type of facial rejuvenation is very personal.  It really depends on how you feel about your appearance, what you are willing to undergo, and what you can afford.  Perhaps a non-surgical solution is all you need.  I recommend that you consult with a plastic surgeon who offers surgical and non-surgical treatments so you can have a wide range of options presented to you.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Best age for facelift

+2

There is really no specific age for facial surgery .  The younger the patient however, the better the elasticity of the skin, which may promote a longer lasting result.

It really comes down to when you are ready to begin facial rejuvenation.  This might be nonsurgical fillers and lasers, minilifts of the neck or cheeks, or a facelift to improve the neck, cheeks, eyes and forehead.  Your board certified plastic surgeon is the best to consult with in choosing the right procedure for you.

The damage to the skin, genetics,  and lifestyle(ie smoking) all play important roles in choosing the type of facelift.

So a minimally invasive facelift in a 40yo is very different than a more aggressive approach to sundamaged skin in a 70 yo patient.

Andrew Turk, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

The best age for a facelift

+2
The key to great cosmetic surgery is helping individuals look good at any age. Aging is determined by stress, environment, sun exposure, and genetics. Each of us will follow our own aging curve which will accelerate over time. Facelift can flatten the aging curve and allow individuals to look well, healthy and vital for longer periods of time. It is true today that patients seek facelift as early as age 45, especially for mini or short scar facelifts to stay looking their best and avoid 'transitions' in their daily appearance. There is nothing wrong in waiting for more substantial aging or laxity to appear. It just means that others are likely to notice the change as the full facelife corrects the cheek and neck. The time for facelift will depend on how you have aged, how you feel, and how appearance impacts your life.
peterejohnsonmd