Will Lumps Go Away After Facelift and Necklift Surgery?

i am now 5 weeks after my operation and have had a 2nd opinion from my doctor regarding lump on side of neck ,, he says its a hematoma, and will go away by itself. the first doctor i seen says it was (just the healing process) but will gradually go away by itself .. is this possible ?? the lump is not hot now but a little uncomfortable ,,, my jawline has really improved with the lift . i had operation done in prague so cant go and see my surgeon although have emailed and they say i look fine xx

Lumps 5 Weeks After Facelift Should Resolve With Massage

+4

It is not uncommon to have lumps under the skin following facelift surgery. Usually these lumps are collections of blood under the skin.

If they occur in the first few days, are expanding or painful, they should be removed or drained.

However, lumps that appear weeks after surgery are usually clotted blood which is not easy to remove. Typically massage and time (as much as 6 months) will help them resolve.

Lumps and Bumps after Facelift

+3

You have seen your physician who feels that your problem is small post-operative hematomas. These will resolve; sometimes it is helpful to have massage or ultrsound to these spots. At this time, all you can get other opinions or return to your surgeon in prague.  Without a physical examination, none of the physicians on Real Self canconfidently reassure you.

Lumps & Bumps May Take Up to 3 Mnths to Resolve; See a Plastic Surgeon if it Persists

+2

Lumps and bumps following facelift surgery are not uncommon. These usually result from areas of tissue indurations, small blood clots and scar tissue. They typically respond to massage and show significant improvement in the first six weeks following surgery. The vast majority have resolved in three months. If this represents an area of concern, make sure you discuss the issue with your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon will be able to help you manage this problem. Be patient, you may ultimately have an excellent result.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Face lift questions

+2

Thank you for your question about your healing after a face lift abroad.

• The photo suggests scar formation on the side of the neck,
  • An exam is needed to determine the best treatment, 
  • If it is from a hematoma (blood collection,) it will probably need injections to soften. These do not always go away on their own.
  • If your information comes from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial Plastic surgeon, follow his/her advice.
  • If not, I suggest consulting one. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Postoperative lumps

+2

While lumpiness is 3 weeks after your face lift is not routine, if is not necessarily abnormal.  Localized regions of swelling or edema may persist for several weeks, though lumpiness could also represent collections of blood or fluid.  The best thing to do is to ask your plastic surgeon about what her or his thoughts are regarding your appearance- only by direct examination can you get an accurate assessment.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Face Lift, Mini Face Lift, The Palmer Celebrity Face Lift, Beverly Hills Face Lift

+2

If you have seen an experienced Face Lift surgeon regarding this matter and he said it was a hematoma that would eventually resolve...it appears you have an explanation from a surgeon who has examined you.  This should be held in higher regard than anyone here who has not.

I will tell you that lumps and bumps that occur secondary to the tissue trauma that's part of a Face Lift... typically resolve eventually but these can last for up to 1 year.  If a hematoma occurs, the blood causes increased irritation within the tissues and lumps hat can last even longer.

You may want to follow up with the surgeon who has examined you.

Lump after facelift

+2

It is hard to tell from the photo what the problem is, but facelifts can result in some minor lumps that could be fluid or blood or even fat.  Hard to say without an exam.

Lumps after facelift and necklift

+2

Small lumps are not uncommon in the first few weeks after facelift and necklift surgery, and usually do resolve on their own. They may be due to localized blood or clot collections (hematomas), or perhaps to sutures used on the deeper tissues in the face. Physical examination by and discussion with your surgeon are the best way to alleviate your concerns.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Lumps and bumps after facelift

+2

be reassured that things will be fine. At 5 weeks, a hematoma should be soft and most often be able to be aspirated. What can you do? Gentle massage and even lymphatic massages done professionally will help allow you to recover faster

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD