Can I Get Good Liposuction Results on Mid-section Years After a Tummy Tuck?

I had a tummy tuck 5 years ago and loved the results because I did the research and had realistic expectations. I have a thick scar (expected), as I have dark skin (greater chances of thick scars), but I loved the result.

However I did not have lipo at all, and now I need it. I have gained weight around my mid-section. I gained weight on my back and sides as well but my tummy is still flat. Can I get good results from lipo? I am a 44yr old type 2 diabetic (under control).

Liposuction of the abdomen

+1

Yes, you may get very good results. There are hypothetically more risks of scarring and infection because of the prior abdominoplasty and the diabetes, respectively, but they may be minimal. Once you see the physician in consultation, they can determine better what your risks are.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com

You should still expect great results from Liposuction after Tummy Tuck

+1

You should still expect good results from your liposuction yrs after a tummy tuck although it will be a lot of work for your doc since there is a lot more fibrous tissue to content with among the fat cells. Usually a power assisted canula would do great to give a thorough results since many docs don't complete the lipo because of all the work involved to get the fat out. They get tired and remove what they can before giving up when in fact you need to be extra thorough to make it look good in your case. The sides and back would be easy compared to the abdomen in your case. The whole procedure would be easy for a doc with the power canula system.

Also, the scar you have should get kenalog injections every 2-3 wks until it is flat and soft. It often also lightens up with the shots. The whole procedure should be done under local anesthesia and you should be back to work in 2 days.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Good mid-section liposuction results years after Tummy Tuck

+1

Your question is very common.

You should have a reasonable result from liposuction at this point. The only uncertainty that I can see could result from the unlikely possibility of your having greatly stretched the tummy skin with the weight gain.

In such an event, you possibly may have some skin sagging after liposuction. This is mostly seen with a large weight gain. Be aware that even if the skin was slightly looser, it will not be visible in clothes. So, the result may well be worth it.

I would direct this question to your plastic surgeon and see what he/she feels about this likelihood.

I hope this was helpful.

Lipo for the midsection

+1

In principal, the answer to your question is yes. However I would consult your prior surgeon, especially if you were satisfied with his/her results for a definitive answer. My general approach to patients seeking body contouring is to offer liposuction, first because thinning out the subcutaneous layer may be adequate to meet their needs. However I have had patients, like yourself, who have returned after tummy tucks, requesting some "fine tuning" and have had successfull liposuction, which did not leave excess or baggy skin. Good luck.