Itching After Laser Liposuction?

I heard that once Laser liposuction has been performed, there is an itching sensation that can last up to a month. Is this correct?

Itching is normal with all liposuction surgeries regardless of type

+8

We tell patients that itching is a good sign of healing and occurs with all liposuction surgery techniques, not just laser liposuction. What it is is really the body's reaction to the breakdown products of heme under the skin as it is trying to get rid of it. Also, the superficial nerves are slightly traumatized from the procedure and over the next 3 months they regenerate.

As they regenerate, they can cause all sorts of weird feelings from pins and needles to itching to pain to numb tingling sensations. Unless you are having an allergic reaction to a medication which would also show up as red swollen hives in most cases with the itching, then you are probably just fine.

Hope this helps.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Itching after Laser Liposuction

+4

Any invasive procedure may cause minor trauma to nerves and their nerve endings. Most of these sensory nerves will recover within six weeks and there are no future concerns. The recovery commonly is marked first by numbness followed by pins and needles or itching. Sometimes it may take several months or more to return to 'normal' sensation. There are some of the newer non-invasive bodysculpting techniques to be considered that will eliminate these issues althogether.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Laser liposuction is not a scientifically proven procedure

+1

Stick with tumescent liposuction using fine cannulas, which has an amazing record of safety and good results.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

I have not had any patient complain of itching after Laser Liposuction

+1

Certainly, itching can occur after any surgical procedure. Usually, it is a sign of healing.

However, I have been doing laser liposuction for over a year and have not heard this complaint.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Laser liposuction and itching

+1

I have not heard of this specific complaint from laser liposuction. Although, like any procedure, unusual conditions could arise.  I suppose if it irritated sensory nerves, it could produce unusual sensations. But like I said, I have not heard of this before.