Vitrase Dissolved Cheek Tissue - Portland, OR

I was overfilled with Restylane under the eyes and...

I was overfilled with Restylane under the eyes and went to another doctor -- Dr. Dailey -- to have it removed with Vitrase. I specifically asked him if there was any chance that the Vitrase would permanently dissolve my own tissue. He was emphatic in saying no. So I agreed to have him inject the Vitrase.

In the first month, some of the filler dissolved and some did not... More horribly, tissue in my cheek -- well below where the filler went, but where the Vitrase poured into -- began to dissolve! At two months, I went to see Dr. Dailey and showed him the outcome. There was a clear depression, surrounded by a less noticeable settling/depression of the tissue. At first, he feigned that he could see nothing, then conceded there was a depression but blamed the dissipated filler. When I reminded him that there was no filler in my cheek where the hole now stood, he said it was impossible for the Vitrase to be responsible, as he uses "gallons and gallons" of it in his eye surgery practice. He began to get up to leave the room, saying to come back in a few months. He added for good measure that I was "fine, look great... I have no idea why you're here."

For a sanity check, I went to a dermatologist who readily acknowledged the depression and increased redness of the area. She sent me to a new plastic surgeon, who saw me right away. He confirmed that Vitrase DOES in fact dissolve our body's natural HA along with the filler. In most people, the body quickly replaces it (matter of hours to days). However, in rare cases, the natural tissue never grows back or takes a very long time! Now I am left with an obvious indentation on my cheek with uncertain prospects that it'll ever fill back in. I'm mortified, and embarrassed, as this directly impacts my ability to earn income.

Dr. Dailey may well use "gallons and gallons" of Vitrase but he does his patients a profound disservice of 1) not warning them of the rare complication and 2) conducting some degree of testing on a patient's skin to make sure they are not one of the unlucky folks such as myself. Now that I am reading of other surgeons on RealSelf confirming this potential outcome, I am livid that Dr. Dailey was so dismissive of my initial question and subsequent follow up.
Portland Oculoplastic Surgeon

At first, Dr. Daley was friendly and engaging. But, following the Vitrase complication, he was dismissive and irritable. I cannot speak for his surgical abilities. Yet I can't help but be concerned that his copious use of Vitrase speaks poorly of his judgment.