Cost for closing stretched ear holes? (photos)

I got my ears pierced when I was younger. I have noticed that they are extremely stretched out. Would it be possible to close the holes? If so, how much would it cost?

Ear Lobe Repairs

Thank you for your question!
Ear lobe repairs are something I commonly do in my office as a plastic surgeon.  They are done with local numbing medication and typically only take 20-30 minutes to complete.  Patients tolerate the procedure extremely well and it yields fantastic results!  You can even get your ears re-pierced 6 weeks after the repair.
Best of luck to you!

Cost for closing stretched ear holes?

The repair of the stretched ear lobe is a great procedure that can restore the ear lobe to a “normal” appearance". Care must be taken during this procedure to avoid reducing the size of the air and/or creating a notch/ depressed appearance in the area of the rim of the ear lobe. It is usually done under local anesthesia with very high patient satisfaction rates. Re piercing can be done, preferably in a spot away from the scar line, a few months down the line. Costs vary from practice to practice ($800-$1000 in our practice).

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Ear lobes

Earlobe repair is a very common procedure. Frequently, we have patients who will have the procedure done the same day as the consultation. Typically, the cost is between $450-850 per earlobe, depending on the severity and the length of the procedure.You may be able to find a doctor who will do this under insurance but i am not aware of any.The length of time the ears have been gauged should have no effect on the procedure. As long as the tissue is no longer irritated or inflamed, there is no reason not to give it a try. Gauged ears are sometimes more difficult than some other earlobe repairs since the tissue is so over stretched, but we are still able to create a natural looking earlobe. You can get your ear re pierced about 6 weeks after and should be included in the pricing. Shop around in your area and see if you can find a plastic surgeon in your budget

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Stretched Earlobe Closure in Seattle #gaugedearlobesseattle #stretchedearlobesseattle

• An in-office procedure performed under local anesthetic will be required to close these earlobe piercings.
  • The price will depend upon your geographic location and it may differ from surgeon to surgeon. 
  • Here in Seattle we see a lot of gauged/stretched earlobes, and we price the repair depending on how large the defect is, and how much time the repair will take. 
  • Your earlobe apertures aren't too large.  At our office located in Seattle, we'd charge $550/earlobe. 
  • Best of luck to you!

Cost for closing stretched ear holes?

Thank you for your question and photograph.  Correction involves a small in-office procedure to repair the earlobe and ranges from $500-1000/ear.  Hope this helps.

Closing an earring hole

A stretched hole can be closed with sutures. It will leave a small permanent scar at the site. The fee will vary and is region dependent so hard to tell you what it is in your area.

thank you for posting your picture. This is a small procedure performed under local anesthesia. Prices should not be too high. You would need to wait for a few months to have your ears pierced again. If this is performed too early the hole may enlarge again.

best of luck

Bianca Knoll, MD
Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon

The cost to repair torn, pierced or stretched ear lobes varies widely.

Hello, It is very common for the piercing in earlobes to stretch over time and eventually tear completely through. In addition, accidental tears stemming from earrings getting caught on clothing or other sudden tearing forces are a common occurrence.   Furthermore, the practice of earlobe stretching (gauging) has increased in popularity in recent years which ultimately creates a very distorted earlobe remnant.  Because of these anatomical changes, people are seeking earlobe repair procedures frequently.  Some of these repair procedures are straightforward and take approximately 30 minutes to repair both earlobe defects. Other more complex reconstruction procedures of the earlobes require more time to appropriately repair the earlobe to an aesthetically pleasing form. The cost to repair torn or stretched earlobes varies widely between both geographic location as well as surgeon. I personally keep my prices for simple earlobe repair at $250 per earlobe.  I charge up to $1000 per earlobe if significant reconstruction is necessary.  I would gander that other surgeons charge more than $250 per earlobe but the cost for simple earlobe tear repair will be between $250-$500 per earlobe.  This repair is easily performed in an office-based setting using local anesthesia alone.  It is necessary however to close the piercing completely and not repair the earlobe leaving room for an earring.  You will then have the option to repierce your ear(s) approximately 6 weeks later.  It is also important when repiercing to place the new piercing just off of the previous hole. In other words, the new piercing should be located off of the scar, just medial (towards the face) or lateral (away form the face) to the old and now closed defect.

Ryan Mitchell, DO, FAOCO
Henderson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe Repair

Thank you for your question. This is a simple procedure performed under a local anesthetic.
Stitches typically are removed in 7-10 days.
Minimal discomfort, if any.
Cost can range from $500 - $1000 depending on complexity.

Greg Chernoff, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cost for closing stretched ear holes?

Hello Smile891,

It is possible to close up those holes.  It is performed in the office.  I recommend then piercing the ear in a new spot about 5 weeks later (if you pierce the same original hole then you will get the same problem very quickly).  

As far as costs it depends on where you go.  You an estimate to pay about 350-500/side.  

I'd recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon in your area to find out about the process and the costs.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon