My lower earlobe is protruding and I want to know the best way to look like it's not sticking out? (photos)

I have pretty big earlobes. What's the best solution for my lower earlobe to not show as much? This has been bugging me for awhile and I want to get them done. I only want the lower portion done. Thanks!!!

Earlobe reduction surgery: edge or wedge?

I perform earlobe reduction surgery quite frequently.  The procedure is performed with local anesthesia (lidocaine) in the office and takes about 45 minutes per ear.  There are two possible techniques:

1. Edge excision: This is the usual procedure.  It involves drawing a line exactly marking the new desired earlobe size and shape.  All tissue outside this line is removed, and the remaining skin edges are repaired, leaving a scar along the edge of the earlobe (facing neither forward nor backward) where it is generally well-concealed.  Internal sutures dissolve on their own.  The external sutures are removed about 2 weeks later.  

2. Wedge excision: This involves a vertical incision along the earlobe, leaving a vertical scar that may be more visible.  It is useful for patients who are interested in simultaneous repair of a torn earlobe or who have an attached earlobe (meaning that there is no skin hanging below the ear-cheek junction).  Suture management is the same as above.

All bandages are present for less than 24 hours.  Cost for earlobe reduction is $700 per earlobe, as this is a much more involved procedure than simple earlobe repair.

Plano Plastic Surgeon

Large Ear lobes

Consult a local board certified facial plastic surgeon to perform ear lobe reduction and set them closer to your head. It can be done in the office under local anesthesia if you so choose.

Good luck!

Nicole Schrader, MD, FACS
Princeton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear lobe surgery

Thank you for asking about your your ear lobe surgery.

Minor office surgery can be done to reduce the size of the lobe and set it closer to your head.
Any plastic surgeon doing cosmetic surgery should be able to help you.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Protruding Earlobe

Thank you for your questions.  It is slightly difficult to see from the photo but it does appear that you have prominent ear lobes.  Ear lobe reduction surgery is definitely possible and may offer the results that you are looking for.  It would be best to be seen by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can offer you surgical options to have this corrected.  The operation can be straight forward and often done in the office under a local anesthetic.  

Aaron D. Smith, MD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

My lower earlobe is protruding and I want to know the best way to look like it's not sticking out?

Yes, earlobe reduction may be a good option for you.
Without seeing better photos or an examination, it will be difficult to give you good accurate advice.
Visit with well experienced plastic surgeon's who can demonstrate their work and show you examples of the procedure you are wanting. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more.

Earlobe reduction

I do this fairly often..it is an easy operation. It can be done in the office.  Make sure the surgeon knows how to do this and make it look natural.  If the surgery is poorly designed by someone who does not have experience, it can look un natural.  This cannot be willy nilly...Hope this helps.
Dr Vasisht
South Shore Plastic Surgery

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Solution for large, protruding earlobes

It is quite possible to perform a surgical reduction of the earlobes under local anesthesia, and to also reduce the degree of protrusion. The incision can be hidden by placing it along the back portion of the lobule, and by closing it with internal and very fine external sutures. Symmetry is important, of course, so precise measurements and surgical markings are performed before injecting local anesthetic.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear reduction

thank you for your post and question! an ear lobe reduction is a local procedure where excess skin is removed and an incision is hidden along natural crease lines. Procedure takes typically an hour and you go home the same day. you look like a good candidate for that. hope this helps!

George S. Miguel, DO
Troy Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear lobe concerns

It is difficult to say definitively from your photos, but an ear lobe reduction may be an option. Please see a surgeon for an evaluation