Skin rash from compression garment?

I had a tummy tuck and breast reduction on 11/14. have been using the surgical binder from my tummy tuck and surgical bra all the time except when bathing. I am Day 6 post op and doing great except now developing skin rashes. I switched to a sports bra but for the abdominal binder are there more comfortable alternatives I can to switch to? My skin is sensitive, itchy, and I'm getting itchy rashes that are raised bumps (not near incisions) on my skin from the compression garment (I think)!

Rash

The binder can rub as its not fixed above or below. The surgeon may have ready access to lipoplasty compression garments. These resemble a girdle with legs and a form fitting contour. The result is less tendency to ride up or down causing skin irritation. You can also purchase these on-line from Veronique, or Medela.

Manitoba Plastic Surgeon

Rash

Thank you for your question. It is important to keep binder at this time of healing. You can wear a large cotton T shirt and put binder on top of that. Some times rash may be from medication. Please talk to your PS for evaluation.

Compression garments

If the binder is irritating your skin, try putting on a light t-shirt and then placing the binder over top. That way there is a barrier between your skin and the binder. The compression garments are very important this early in the healing process. You can also take some benadryl and use cortisone topically to help with the itching.  Usually at your one week check, your doctor will give you a different garment other than a binder to start wearing and if they do not give you something they will give suggestions on what you can wear. Good luck with recovery.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal Binder is Tremendously Important after Tummy Tuck

I have seen this problem before.  My strong suggestion is to put a thick cotton T-shirt on under the abdominal binder to protect your skin.  Seems to work well every time.

Good Luck!

Thomas P. Sterry, MD

Skin rash from compression garment?

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your procedures!  I would recommend reaching out to your surgeon for a discussion as to their recommendations.  If you have only a binder in place you may be able to have a more forgiving compression garment like a Spanx used to help reduce the irritation and skin rash.  Additionally giving your skin time to breath out of the garment while maintaining your skin well-moisturized can all further help your symptoms. Hope this helps.

Skin rash

It would be best to ask your PS, but you can try taking it off to let your skin breathe and see if that helps.  Hydrocortisone cream may also help relieve the itchiness...follow up with your doctor.

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Skin Rash From Compression Garment

Your personal plastic surgeon would be the best person to ask for his or her treatment of your skin rash since this is a very common problem and each plastic surgeon has their own protocol for this type of irritation.

That being said, if you were my patient, I would recommend taking the garment off every once in a while to allow the skin to breathe, especially since in my experience this is often a heat rash.  Secondly, putting a piece of material like an old T-shirt between the garment and the skin alleviates rashes of this nature.  Finally, I often use a topical steroid cream to decrease the itching since pressure garments of one kind or another need to be worn in the first two weeks post tummy tuck and/or liposuction.

Skin rash from compression garment?

The compression garment can be responsible for a rash.  This rash can be managed or another compression garment may be offered by your surgeon.  It is always best to ask these questions of your chosen surgeon as recommendations may be different.

Tummy Tuck Revision/Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon