Would I qualify for a tummy tuck and breast enlargement?

Hello, i have two separate questions: 1) would i qualify for a plastic surgery: i have psoriatic arthritis. I am currently on biologic Stelara. Would this play a factor? 2) my mom is a breast cancer survivor. Would breast implants decrease my chances of detecting cancer in early stages?

Would you qualify for a MM?

Far more important than deciding if MM is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

If you are otherwise healthy and you can get medical clearance, the surgery will likely be successful.

Candidate for surgery

I think it would be wise to obtain medical clearance from your rheumatologist before proceeding with surgery. Breast implants are not known to decrease your chances of detecting cancer. If you get medical clearance then you should consult with some plastic surgeons to determine a good surgical plan for you.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Candidate for Tummy Tuck and Breast Enlargement ?

Thank you for a very insightful question.  Many patients with well-controlled medical issues may still be good candidates for plastic surgery.  Our paramount concern is always for your overall health and safety.  Close collaboration between your rheumatologist and plastic surgeon is very important in your circumstance to make sure you would be a good candidate, minimize your chance of infection while on your immune-modulators, and choose proper breast implants (saline may be a better choice for you).  Patients that have underlying pain sometimes also may need special attention to their post-operative pain medications to make sure the regimen is effective after surgery.  I would encourage you to find a board-certified plastic surgeon with expertise in these procedures, as well as a willingness to be collaborative with your primary care doctor and rheumatologist. 

Alyson Wells, MD, FACS

Qualifying for a Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation

It's difficult to suggest without an in-person consultation or previewing your medical records. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. The intentional result of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis) as a result of aging, weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding. However, many women report more satisfaction if an implant is used at the time of #mastopexy. The implants further shape their breasts, restoring superior fullness or volume which may be decreased over time.

In regards to implants alone, this is usually said to be mistake by patients reflecting back at the decision. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. At times it's possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result.

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures. MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity.  These procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Tummy tuck and breast enlargement - am I a candidate

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• You can have surgery if your rheumatologist treating your psoriatic arthritis clears you for surgery and advises your surgeon about management of your medicines around surgery.
  • You are at a slightly increased risk of infection so carefully planned surgery is necessary.
  • Breast implants actually make it EASIER to detect early breast cancer.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Preop (Mommy Makeover) conditions should be optimized first

Stelara is an "immunosuppressant" and as such can predispose you to infections and theoretically could impede wound healing.  It would be prudent to consult your prescribing Rheumatologist to get a fuller opinion on whether this therapy would be compatible with as extensive surgery as an abdominoplasty and breast augmentation.  Discuss your concerns regarding breast cancer surveillance with your BC/PS, disclosing whether your mother's cancer was "genetic" or sporadic.  Realize that a baseline mammogram may be indicated, especially if you are 40 years or older and that subsequent studies, after breast augmentation should conform to your ObGyn's recommendations.  Do include advice from your regular MDs as well in order to synthesize a coherent plan to support any surgical plans.  Good luck.

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Qualifying for a mommy makeover

Hi.  You are asking medical questions  but need  plastic surgeon answers.  This brings forward a great question and discussion.

Who does qualify?  That is where a plastic surgeon is better off letting you get "medical clearance" from your specialists.  This basically lets your doctors know that you are going to have anesthesia and surgery and your plastic surgeon wants to know if there are any medical reasons that would prevent your surgery.

Roughly speaking, I do not think that you are listing conditions that would prevent you from getting the mommy makeover.  However, no plastic surgeon should play a role that they are not totally involved with your health and how it is maintained.  Thus, the combination of your doctors to arrive at conclusions for your safety.

Good luck with it all.  These are wonderful approaches for renewing the curves that you are seeking.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Derby Sang

i suggest you to contact a board certified PS and have a physical (face to face) consultation and go over all your concerns.

Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Please put your front, side pictures. These pictures are easier to see if they are taking by someone else not close to the camera of the area you are interested only to give you a better answer.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Mommy Makeover and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

Mel T. Ortega, MD