Am going to Dominican Republic to have tt, bbl , and breast lift surgery done is it safe to go alone?

Dominican Republic

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I do NOT recommend traveling alone for surgery. As someone who routinely performs these operations, it is a big recovery when you have them done all together. You need at least one person to travel with you and stay with you while recovering. There are so many excellent surgeons who perform these operations in America and Ohio specifically. It isn't worth the risk to save some money - this is your body!!! Best wishes!

Travelling alone for surgery

I am a little surprised that anyone would consider this. You absolutely must not travel alone and I do hope you reconsider this. The key is your safety. Please read the attached blog which may help you. 

MM in the Dominican Republic

Medical tourism has becoming increasingly popular in recent years; patients have been flying out of the U.S. for plastic surgery, lured by lower prices. However, a parallel trend has also appeared: plastic surgeons in the United States are finding themselves treating an increasing number of patients who plastic surgery abroad, correcting complications and errors. A survey by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons found that 80% of the responding doctors had treated American medical tourists for complications including infection, contour abnormalities, and hematoma. Medical tourists are often led to believe that they will receive the same quality of care for a lower price in a foreign clinic. But while it is true that the cost of plastic surgery in some foreign countries is lower, this is often because the quality of care and surgery is compromised. Such patients also seem to neglect the possibility of complications and the need for a follow-up visit. In addition to the risks posed by sub-standard medical care abroad, medical tourists must consider the risks of injections and implants in other countries. The recent crisis with French breast implant maker Poly Implant Prothese (PIP) exemplifies this problem. PIP used industrial- rather than medical-grade silicone on their implants in an effort to reduce costs, a measure which probably increased the danger of rupture. PIP implants have not been used in the United States since 2000. Removal of these implants has been recommended by the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. It is often the case that medical tourists end up spending more money because they have to pay to treat complications from their overseas surgery.

Medical Tourism-- you get what you pay for...

Hello! While is may seem like a good idea to do this, I disagree. I am seeing a huge increase in patients that come to see me after their " discount-vacation-spa" surgery  event... I even have a show that will be on TV next Monday addressing this issue. I urge you to reconsider.    The reason the health care system in the USA is the envy of all others, is because is it safer, and that is the final variable-- do not gamble with this. Watch the show on WBNS on Monday at 6 pm and again on Tuesday on the  Fox 28 network with Shawn Ireland. 

Good uck.

Traveling for surgery

I would recommend that you reconsider your choice to go abroad for surgery.  If you should encounter any complications patients often communicate that it's difficult to find a surgeon in the U.S. willing to take them as a patient.  If you choose to go forward, I suggest finding a doctor near your home who is willing to assume your care once you return from surgery.  You will want to have someone with you when you travel as you will still have lifting restrictions and may require assistance in other activities as well.

Medical Tourism

I suggest a web search for plastic surgery medical tourism complications.  Bad things can happen anywhere, but particularly outside the US where not all surgeons are held to the same high standard.  You certainly need an advocate with you, both in and out of country for surgery.  Remember, if you have a problem, you surgeon is not just a short car drive away and you may have trouble finding care at home.  In addition, that care will likely be expensive. 

Mark D. Wigod, MD
Boise Plastic Surgeon

Traveling Out of the Country for a Mommy Makeover

This is a very good question. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measure.

Therefore, it may be in your best interest to not #travel out of the country for such procedures. Unless, you know the doctor or facility where the procedures take place well or have a previous experience with them, there is an increased chance of problems, #complications, or #emergencies which may lack the necessary attention as you would acquire easier within the United States. 

The question you should consider is if it is safe to travel to the DR for surgery. There seem to be many cases of tragic consequences for patients who do that. 

Cancel your trip to Dominican Republic to have your surgery. Have it here in the U.S. where you live

I just treated a patient who went to the Dominican Republic and had a serious complication. She very much regrets her decision. She needed a blood transfusion and has major abdominal scarring after a BBL  She ended up spending more than if she had her surgery here in the U.S. and will need revision surgery (I will be doing it). Your safety is more important than a few thousand dollars. And you are best to have your plastic surgeon available for follow-up care. In the U.S. we have more rigorous safety standards than many other countries. And of course do not go alone!

Traveling alone for cosmetic surgery

I wouldn't recommend traveling alone for surgery here in the USA, much less abroad. Having someone with you that you trust at time of surgery is paramount for a successful recovery. I wouldn't recommend having all those procedures performed at once either. The TT and the BBL should be done separately in my opinion. Recovery positions are opposite of one another and will compromise your final result if you don't adhere to one of them. Being under general anesthesia for more than 6 hrs also puts you at a higher risk for much serious life threatening complications. A surgeon trying to "rush" through to get everything done at a reasonable time is not in your best interest. Just my honest opinion. Safety should not be compromised at any time. I hope this helps.