Botox to jaw in the long run - permanent?

i did jaw reduction but my face is still wide and i can see my jaw muscles moving when i clench it. theyre very strong. if i get botox every 6 months, will the muscles be permanently smaller? I know botox is not permanent but im curious if the jaw muscles can be permanently weaker if botox is done frequently Can i chew hard food right after botox or does it not matter?

Jaw reduction

The first thing I would ask is how long has it been since the surgery on your jaw? It can take 6 months to a year to really see the final results from your surgery because of significant swelling of the masseter muscle which takes a long time to resolve.

Botox injections work really well, but unfortunately it is temporary. Since the masseter atrophies over time you may find that the interval between injections will continue to lengthen the longer you continue treatments.

Without photos I can't determine whether revision jaw reduction using a different technique would be beneficial, but it may be something to consider.

Sarah Saxon, MD

Dallas Otolaryngologist

Botox and the jaw

Repeated Botox injections in the masseter muscle lead to atrophy of the muscle and it can become small in the long run.This leads to reduced need for frequent Botox injections.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Long term slimming of face with Botox

Botox is only a temporary fix. Over time, the length between treatments will gradually become more extended but it won't be permanent. Chewing after Botox for masseter reduction has not effect on outcome.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox in masseter

If you consistently stay with it and do botox every 3-4 months, the muscle will atrophy a bit.  The time between injections will likely increase( be longer in between) so that you  might only need to do it 1-2 x per year.

Botox

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  I do find that the masseter will atrophy over time with continued botox administration and this can work very well for some patients.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Botox for the masster

Thank you for your question beabea91. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. In the lower face Botox can be placed in the masseter muscle to contour the face. Most people enjoy the results of their Botox treatment for 3-4 months. When higher doses are used as in the masseter, this can last 6 months or more. If maintenance treatments are discontinued and the muscle is used frequently it will get bigger, as does any muscle, and the shape can return to baseline. This may take time. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Masseter muscle?

Thanks for your question. Botox works great to help with grinding and the muscle hypertrophy that results from grinding. Initially, you will have to have Botox more frequently, but over time there's some cumulative effect. However, most patients have to keep up with Botox injections and I don't believe they reach a point where you will have full atrophy of the muscle. The Botox or Dysport can migrate and affect your smile and other muscles, but my patients have not reported difficulties with biting/chewing. Best wishes, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Botox for masseters

Initially, you will require Botox every 3-4 months for the masseters. After you have had treatment for a while, you may only require the Botox injections every 6 months. The Botox will decrease masseter muscle bulk and will help with any teeth grinding and jaw pain you have. The reduction in the masseter bulk will also slim the lower face. It's a safe and effective treatment and very popular with my patients. No problem eating after the treatment. Good luck.